Options

What fictional character do you most identify with, and why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SmoojSmooj Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Just something I found rather thought provoking so I thought I'd share it with DS.....

We're having an "Arts Festival" in our town and they were looking for volunteers to help with stuff so I applied and this was one of the questions on the application form.

I thought it was quite a sneaky thing to ask because, as well as getting some idea about the personality of the person, it also provides an insight into what sort of literature, TV or movies the person is most interested in.
    I assume that, for example, saying you identify with Jean Valjean from Les Miserables or Old Major from Animal Farm would be considered more impressive than saying you identify with Han Solo or Peter Parker/Spiderman.

So, faced with the same question, what would you say?
    And, would it be an honest response or would it be one you'd constructed to impress?

FWIW, in the end, I put "Columbo", because I tend to be the sort of person who understands that success is often the result of apparently dull and tedious work rather than spectacular gestures.
    Somebody must have appreciated my answer because I got in. :D

What a great question - and your answer was very good too.

As I read through, I was thinking of saying Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. You have to love someone who sticks to their own moral code, takes their duties as a dad seriously and tries to see problems through the eyes of others. But that does run the risk of falling into the 'constructed to impress' category as Atticus is such a good guy. He genuinely is one of my favourite fictional characters though.

After some deliberation, yeah I think I'd put old Atticus down, not because I'm like him all the time, but to make it clear it's an aspiration and that he has traits I admire and identify with.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leto Atreides II

Leto was one part of a boy and girl twin, as am I.
    The loss of humanity he would eventually succumb to, meant his sister's presence was a source of everlasting comfort to him. Their interactions resonated with me.
    Although it's his insights on governance and the limitations of man, I find has shaped and changed my world view.

I read about Leto nearly 20 years ago and I can honestly say he is never far from my pensive thoughts.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Griffin, because of how my storywriting creativity goes mostly unappreciated.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan from many books by Terry Prachett.
    Because she's pulled from her normal life to deal with malign forces. I see that as my life with bi polar.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a show on years ago on channel 5 called Sunset Beach and a main character called Gregory Richards who I wanted to be when I was an adult. He was rich, powerful and had a beautiful wife called Annie who I fancied like mad. That's why I have the username gregrichards.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably go for people in The Twilight Zone that realise they are stuck in there. :D

Or Bill Murray's character in Groundhog Day (and then tell the person asking that the last 30 times he asked me, I had answered with "People in The Twilight Zone"). :p