Options

The Bermuda short trend

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone remember the curious craze for fluerescant designed Bermuda shorts, and T-shirts in the 1989-90 period? It seemed that everyone was wearing them in the summer of '89, and fluerescant colours dominated youth clothing at this time. I always wanted those Bermuda shorts, but my dad would never get me a pair. Did anyone on here own a pair?:p

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    For a second I thought you were going to say that to be a hipster this summer, you had to have some pastel knee-length shorts and long socks to go with the beard.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I had 2 identical pairs off the market. They were mainly neon yellow with pink, green and white swirls on them.

Bermuda Triangle were a popular brand where I grew up. I didn't have any of their shorts but did sport a neon orange t-shirt made by them. It had little holes in it a bit like a string vest. I'd pair that with my shorts and a baseball cap, also from Bermuda Triangle. The cap was bright green and had a little flap of material on the back that hung down over the neck like a French Foreign Legion hat. You could see me coming from miles off . :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although B shorts have been around forever, am I right in thinking that the illuminous ones were a late 80s fad? I seem to recall them being massive in 89-90 then vanishing forever.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Yep, I had 2 identical pairs off the market. They were mainly neon yellow with pink, green and white swirls on them.

Bermuda Triangle were a popular brand where I grew up. I didn't have any of their shorts but did sport a neon orange t-shirt made by them. It had little holes in it a bit like a string vest. I'd pair that with my shorts and a baseball cap, also from Bermuda Triangle. The cap was bright green and had a little flap of material on the back that hung down over the neck like a French Foreign Legion hat. You could see me coming from miles off . :D

Whoever sold them to you certainly saw you coming.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever sold them to you certainly saw you coming.

I was 10, who cares?

Edit: I think my inspiration was probably Timmy Mallet. :D:blush: He was really popular with kids at the time.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I bought some Bermuda shorts with triangles printed on them and my "bits" disappeared. :(
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My pair were half green, half orange, with a fifties-style drawing of a couple on one leg, with the man saying 'Hey Baby let's ride that surf'. I think they were from Mr.Byrite...
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember the curious craze for fluerescant designed Bermuda shorts, and T-shirts in the 1989-90 period? It seemed that everyone was wearing them in the summer of '89, and fluerescant colours dominated youth clothing at this time. I always wanted those Bermuda shorts, but my dad would never get me a pair. Did anyone on here own a pair?:p

Yes, I had quite a few pairs of Ocean Pacific ones.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluerescant
    sounds like something from midnight mass in latin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I was 10, who cares?

Edit: I think my inspiration was probably Timmy Mallet. :D:blush: He was really popular with kids at the time.

Yes he certainly was Waccaday!!! On reflection, I think the whole illuminous colour thing may have been a fashion inspired by the acid house movement.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should bring them back along with Hawaiian shirts :D
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had several pairs, mostly bright yellow and green. Living in a seaside town everyone wore them in the late 80s and early 90s. Now everyone seems to stick to dark coloured shorts in the summer time.