Steve Backshall and Ola Jordan Appreciation Thread

Comments

• cassie_murraycassie_murray Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww thanks Korky, I appreciate that. I didn't want to be seen as intruding on his personal life but wanted to eliminate a few worries. Of course, my naughty alter ego was curious about what he was like in that department:blush::blush: (runs and hides in the naughty corner...)
    Thanks for posting the pic in your last post, ah the head torch again, how does he carry it off?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I think what SB does career wise is truly amazing. I can fully understand why he did strictly to raise his profile - I think he's very hungry for recognition (not meaning to sound negative)

I don't like to discuss people's private lives but we live in an era, where it is almost unavoidable not to pass judgement with information so so easy to find.

Do I think that it he's naive, yes. I think he needs managing better. I don't find the story as bad as the photo's. However, if you pose for naked photo's, they rarely ever stay private. I wouldn't have said they were pre-fame but what do I know. With regards to Ms Grey, I'd say he's a bloke, he's not hurt anyone - she's got press, he's got press and probably some cred from it. He came across as a 'nice bloke'. I cannot help but wonder - does it not cross over with HG. I personally wouldn't really like that from a 41 yr old, I'd expect it from a guy in his 20's/early 30's. Anyway - judgement's over, it's done, he's not the first and won't be the last - I personally don't think he'd appreciate all this speculation and discussion about his sex life.

Gx

I think it's fair to say SB is a dark horse (pardon the analogy)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    In my opinion there is no way to justify the behaviour of either of those girls, what they did was completely without class and showed an absolute lack of human decency. The world is becoming too full of people who will dismiss any sense of right and wrong for the chance of money and vicarious fame. >:( I just hope Steve has learned to be more wary but without becoming too cynical as his openness is a big part of who he is.

I for one would like to forget about these stories (even though they do provide fuel for the imagination :blush:) and concentrate on all the good that Steve is doing now and the fact that he is using his newly raised profile to further promote all his conservation and wildlife causes. I'm sure he would want the same thing. (But I was glad to know that Steve wasn't set up by one of his Strictly friends)

*climbs down from soapbox*

On a lighter note, my favourite Stevie B rocking the head torch shot :D

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44846000/jpg/_44846678_backshall_bbc226b.jpg
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello Fatskia! :) Thanks for posting the Google details. All I can say is poor, poor Steve associating with two reprehensible women who practised abhorrent and indefensible behaviour against him. >:(>:( I suppose this wouldn't have happened had he not been a widely known figure, but I'd hope that he'd set against this negative aspect the fact that being well known has the advantage of being able to elicit the DM race sponsorship money.

No tweets yet today so to cheer us all up here's a picture of a pursed-up Steve complete with attractive headtorch and slightly less attractive tarantula. :o:D

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/exposure/content/photo/photo/433326_tarantula-cave50_epsicuaitwlfo42x7yedw6mpvtncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_610x343.jpg

ETA Hello and welcome Gloria! :)

Hi Korky,

I don't think these things are all that bad for Steve, but I can understand how it could affect him a lot.

The kiss and tell story I take as a 'based on the truth' story. I think someone from the paper told her 9 would be believable, and she believed that.:o It's not really that harmful and could be seen as a bit complimentary. It could still make Steve be more cautious about protecting his privacy.

The other scenario, if he ended the relationship, only goes to prove that he was well rid of her. Good decision! It's very understandable that that experience could make Steve reassess relationships and sort of lose faith in them.

It seems Steve will now move on from the children's level of planetary care and book writing, so to me, that makes these things less of a potential problem for his future.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Steve is so well rid of those two betrayers from his life and I don't agree that either he or his career has benefited from 'cred' or 'press' or any so-called compliments hidden in articles which hurt him. I despise both the women 100%. To me they have no conscience. So.....to the future.....

There's a lovely review of the Pole To Pole Diaries on twitter which refers to a Steve's charm coming off the page. This is what comes over to me first too, plus humour, knowledge, warmth, caring, wonder, courage etc. of course. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @SteveBackshall
    #FOTD Male crab spiders practice ‘bondage’ restraining females in bridal veils of silk before mating.
    5:20pm - 24 Feb 15

I think this must be the only Stevie Fact I've known previously! :o

ETA I do agree that those episodes could lessen the openness that we love in Steve. Maybe he's spent so much of his life among honest, basic, simple-living people in underdeveloped countries that he's not been quite on his guard when back in England. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I think what SB does career wise is truly amazing. I can fully understand why he did strictly to raise his profile - I think he's very hungry for recognition (not meaning to sound negative)

I don't like to discuss people's private lives but we live in an era, where it is almost unavoidable not to pass judgement with information so so easy to find.

Do I think that it he's naive, yes. I think he needs managing better. I don't find the story as bad as the photo's. However, if you pose for naked photo's, they rarely ever stay private. I wouldn't have said they were pre-fame but what do I know. With regards to Ms Grey, I'd say he's a bloke, he's not hurt anyone - she's got press, he's got press and probably some cred from it. He came across as a 'nice bloke'. I cannot help but wonder - does it not cross over with HG. I personally wouldn't really like that from a 41 yr old, I'd expect it from a guy in his 20's/early 30's. Anyway - judgement's over, it's done, he's not the first and won't be the last - I personally don't think he'd appreciate all this speculation and discussion about his sex life.

Gx

I think it's fair to say SB is a dark horse (pardon the analogy)

Hi Gloria
    Yes, maybe he was naive regarding Ms Grey. I personally would have taken one look at her and think "she'll sell her story". But then again, I'm not a man! I don't know many men who would say "oh no, I couldn't possibly sleep with you". He said himself the tabloids were a new experience for him as most of his interviews were about his work. When you say "HG", do you mean Helen Glover, as in did the encounter cross over with her? Sincere apologies if I'm misinterpreting it. When I saw her at strictly the week of his waltz, I thought maybe she was there as his guest.
    He comes across as a really nice sincere guy and unfortunately, therefore someone who could easily be taken advantage of/get hurt. Of course, I agree with what you and Ugly Bug said, I don't think he would like speculation about his love life either. However, unfortunately, that will probably happen between the tabloids and the internet etc and with him probably becoming even more well known after strictly.

As I said in my first post, what I like about Steve is he has such a brilliant brain to go with the brawn and uses it to educate people about the changing planet. He would honestly not interest me otherwise. I think its fantastic what he's doing at the moment and hopefully that will make people see past the tabloid nonsense etc as none of that was his fault. The sun/daily mail should run more stories about dolphins being targarted for sport etc. to make up for it>:(
    Forum Member
    @SteveBackshall
    #FOTD Male crab spiders practice ‘bondage’ restraining females in bridal veils of silk before mating.
    5:20pm - 24 Feb 15

I think this must be the only Stevie Fact I've known previously! :o

ETA I do agree that those episodes could lessen the openness that we love in Steve. Maybe he's spent so much of his life among honest, basic, simple-living people in underdeveloped countries that he's not been quite on his guard when back in England. :(

Has he been watching 50 Shades of Grey? Is that what he's been up to today inspiring the bondage themed FOTD :D:blush:

I find it very sad that we live in a society where you have to be constantly on your guard and that being trusting and open is seen as naive and makes you a target :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ugly bug wrote: »
    Has he been watching 50 Shades of Grey? Is that what he's been up to today inspiring the bondage themed FOTD :D:blush:

I find it very sad that we live in a society where you have to be constantly on your guard and that being trusting and open is seen as naive and makes you a target :(

I wouldn't think he'd waste his eyesight, money or time on such rubbish but it's quite conceivable that all the reviews in the press and people everywhere chuntering about it have prompted this Fact. I expect his tongue's in his cheek! :D

Yes, I quite agree that it's so sad that we live in a world where we dare not trust anyone...or perhaps I should say that I don't. So many seem on the make, looking out for only themselves, never satisfied and greedy for more than they actually need. Look at the flippin' politicians! ^_^

Do you find that every time you see a bird or squirrel or mouse or fox or hear an owl or other bird you think of Steve? It seems to be an automatic connection for me now. :blush:
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't think he'd waste his eyesight, money or time on such rubbish but it's quite conceivable that all the reviews in the press and people everywhere chuntering about it have prompted this Fact. I expect his tongue's in his cheek! :D

Yes, I quite agree that it's so sad that we live in a world where we dare not trust anyone...or perhaps I should say that I don't.

Do you find that every time you see a bird or squirrel or fox or hear an owl or other bird you think of Steve? It seems to be an automatic connection for me now. :blush:

He he! :D I'm sure that FOTD was a tongue in cheek reference to the over hyped rubbish that is 50 shades.

The older I get the less I trust people, sad but true. I can honestly say I only completely trust my immediate family :(

Anything nature related seems to remind me of Steve these days as does climbing, kayaking etc etc. When I'm feeding my garden birds in the morning I find myself wondering if he's doing the same thing. Rapidly turning into a scary obsessive!:o:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ugly bug wrote: »
    He he! :D I'm sure that FOTD was a tongue in cheek reference to the over hyped rubbish that is 50 shades.

The older I get the less I trust people, sad but true. I can honestly say I only completely trust my immediate family :(

Anything nature related seems to remind me of Steve these days as does climbing, kayaking etc etc. When I'm feeding my garden birds in the morning I find myself wondering if he's doing the same thing. Rapidly turning into a scary obsessive!:o:blush:

No, not obsessive, but it's just that our man leads such a busy, interesting, varied and worthwhile life and there's plenty to get absorbed in. Also thought association can't help but bring him to mind when he's involved in so many activities.

A funny thing happened at the weekend. I hung a new bird feeder with nuts in on the washing line early morning, came in to make a drink, looked out of the kitchen window and saw a squirrel running upside down along the line towards the feeder - very fast. Now I don't mind the squirrels eating the birds' food at all (in fact I feed them too) and so I watched it eating. Unfortunately ten seconds later I looked out again and the washing line was on the grass...the squirrel had gnawed right through it! Needless to say I now hang the feeder in a tree. Silly me! :blush:^_^ Anyway, I did think at the time that Steve would have had a "chuckle" at events.
    Forum Member
    I'm jealous, I don't get squirrels in my garden :( My biggest wildlife entertainment is watching the huge wood pigeons who daily decimate the food I put out for the ground feeding birds trying to work out how to get on to my small, roofed bird table. Try as they might they just can't figure it out. It's hilarious :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ :D

@SteveBackshall
    #FOTD A raptor’s eyes occupy about two thirds of their skull
    8:20am - 25 Feb 15

Well, eye never!...this Fact should see us through the day. [Groan :blush::blush:]

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/eye_rt_8yr.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @SteveBackshall
    I have a massive cloud of mosquitos in my garden. And the birds are singing fit to burst. And it is February.
    9:07am - 25 Feb 15

Yes, Steve, but it's still freezing my fingers, nose and toes painfully...and it is the first day of Spring in just over 3 weeks' time...^_^ :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Photograph your cat through a tube = Moon Cat :D:kitty:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-sPmj_WkAAKQSE.jpg
    Forum Member
    :D:):D ^^^^

More entertainment from my birds today. Squabbling Starlings, robins chasing off the wood pigeons and best of all a blackbird trying to carry off half a fat ball! :D:p They certainly seem to feel that Spring has arrived.

No pics today so sweet dreams :p

http://i.thisis.co.uk/274156/article/images/242646/306330-large.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does feel a little strange when there's no Twinkle news or any pictures all day. Never mind: tomorrow is another day! :)

Sweet Stevie dreams back to you. :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooooh, exciting! :)

Wildscreen Exchange
    @WildscreenEx
    We're filming @SteveBackshall this afternoon for an exciting upcoming project! #Bristol #GreenCapital2015 @WildscreenFest
    10:30am - 26 Feb 15

https://mobile.twitter.com/WildscreenEx/status/555046892749717504/photo/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Busy Stevie B today! :D

@SteveBackshall
    Huge congratulations to all @DofE #goldawardspresentations a truly remarkable achievement. I shall see you at the palace this afternoon!
    1:15pm - 26 Feb 15
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My desperate plea via our psychic link has produced a flurry of tweets! :D

@SteveBackshall
    #FOTD Half the world’s vertebrates are fish, with approx 25,000 species
    5:20pm - 26 Feb 15

@SteveBackshall
    Another faux pas at the palace tho. Last time an ill-advised joke to royalty, this time forgot the underarm...Arms tight to sides throughout
    5:24pm - 26 Feb 15

Oh dear, poor Twinkle! :o I wouldn't mind though...:blush:

@SteveBackshall
    Now battling night traffic to be back in time for our night paddle, @georgebarnicoat I'm doing my best!
    5:26pm - 26 Feb 15

Well, it's been pouring heavily all day for me. He'll need a brisk rub down with a warm towel tonight! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Ben_garrod
    @SteveBackshall when in doubt, a well-placed fist-bump resolves all! Try it next time ... and please show us the results/mugshots
    5:37pm - 26 Feb 15

@SteveBackshall
    @Ben_garrod a fist bump with HRH?! Think I was better off just smelling a bit ripe...
    5:45pm - 26 Feb 15

:D:D:D

Looking out for a picture. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Ben_garrod
    @SteveBackshall when in doubt, a well-placed fist-bump resolves all! Try it next time ... and please show us the results/mugshots
    5:37pm - 26 Feb 15

@SteveBackshall
    @Ben_garrod a fist bump with HRH?! Think I was better off just smelling a bit ripe...
    5:45pm - 26 Feb 15

:D:D:D

Looking out for a picture. ;-)
    Ah, poor Steve. Can't imagine how nerve wracking it must be, to be at the palace. I'd imagine, it would be very easy to forget something in preperation. Well done to him to be asked a second time to speak at the palace. He won't feel it until his speech at the Oxford Union!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gorgeous picture of Steve. He looks really well in a suit and tie, with the dark stubble and deep brown twinkly eyes, doesn't he?:blush: Looks like he got his hair cut as well for the occasion or maybe it just looks different to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous picture of Steve. He looks really well in a suit and tie, with the dark stubble and deep brown twinkly eyes, doesn't he?:blush: Looks like he got his hair cut as well for the occasion or maybe it just looks different to me

Yep...looking good! :)

Wonderful review of Steve's talk at the Falmouth and Exeter Students' Union on the 12th February. I particularly like that he's virtually described as an exemplary lecturer. They omitted Climber, Explorer and Conservationist (and probably more) from their list though! ^_^:D

https://fxuwilddocsoc.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/in-which-we-encounter-a-bench-presser-extraordinaire/

https://fxuwilddocsoc.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/10835465_516125851859472_5342959503615484268_o.jpg