london vs Manchester

Comments

• malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Manchester, probably my favourite city in the UK. I like London but it irritates me that everything is so spread out. A simple night out is a pain in the arse because you have to faff around getting the tube everywhere and then either a ludicrously expensive taxi or a night bus back. I do love Camden though.

If you're in a new city, the best way to find out about it is to talk to a local. When we ere on holiday in the US we spent many an afternoon sat in bars chatting with locals, especially in San Francisco we discovered some great places that we'd probably never have found out about.

Oh yes, when new to a place.

No, what I mean is people talking to you at bus stops, in the queue at the shop etc. The last thing I want, paticularly when commuting to or from work is for some random to start chewing my ear off about nothing in particular.

Thankfully having lived in London for so long I am now au fait with the 3 stares to stop such conversations - intentely into a copy of the Metro, into the middle distance at nothing in particular, and the get away from me you freak.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Oh yes, when new to a place.

No, what I mean is people talking to you at bus stops, in the queue at the shop etc. The last thing I want, paticularly when commuting to or from work is for some random to start chewing my ear off about nothing in particular.

Thankfully having lived in London for so long I am now au fait with the 3 stares to stop such conversations - intentely into a copy of the Metro, into the middle distance at nothing in particular, and the get away from me you freak.

I don't mind it at all, provided they're not a complete nutter. If you're on your own it passes the time. Last week I went to a gig on my own, had a good chat with a stranger in a bar afterwards and also on the train home. Nothing wrong with being friendly.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I don't mind it at all, provided they're not a complete nutter. If you're on your own it passes the time. Last week I went to a gig on my own, had a good chat with a stranger in a bar afterwards and also on the train home. Nothing wrong with being friendly.

I think I am a typical southerner - I don't want to speak to strangers or have chats about the weather on the street

I think some of the mentality comes about, particularly in London, because you are sharing your space with millions of other people all the time - on the street, on the Tube, in shops etc so you feel like you have little to no personal space. Getting a seat on the Tube can feel a bit like a haven away from this so you ignore everyone and everything around you..
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Why Manchester? A better comparison would be the second city surely?

Birmingham?

No point including Birmingham as I've heard you can't even visit the place if you're not a Muslim! :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Neither, outside the UK many other cities beat these two into the ground and leave them looking like the pathetic little wretches they are.

Go on then. Name then.
    Forum Member
    Birmingham?

No point including Birmingham as I've heard you can't even visit the place if you're not a Muslim! :D

This is true sadly.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    London is a World City,it feels like a capital,which Manchester or any other city in the UK does not..

Edinburgh feels like a world capital :p Cardiff maybe not so much, but it feels like a capital of its country
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    This is true sadly.

No it's not, don't be daft!
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    No it's not, don't be daft!

It is. Didn't you see all the stuff in the paper?
    Forum Member
    It is. Didn't you see all the stuff in the paper?

Yes, it was good for a laugh!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    Manchester...much nicer people, you can talk to strangers without them looking at you like you're a serial killer :o
    During my two brief encounters in Manchester, I found the same. Very nice, friendly people, exuding natural warmth. London (in general) is just not like that.

That said, I would still pick london on account of there is just sooooo much to do, something different every time, the theatre, ballet, markets, etc.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    Manchester...much nicer people, you can talk to strangers without them looking at you like you're a serial killer :o

Who wants to talk to strangers. This isn't emmerdale you know

London is up there with new York,Paris and Tokyo

Manchester is with..

Pittsburgh, Chattanooga, wellington and gdansk
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, Manchester. The very analogy of Nu Labour's agenda. A "vibrant" city of chain coffee shops, chain restaurants, shopping malls and a pretentious art and culture scene.

Dullsville.
    Forum Member
    the ocelot wrote: »
    Ah yes, Manchester. The very analogy of Nu Labour's agenda. A "vibrant" city of chain coffee shops, chain restaurants, shopping malls and a pretentious art and culture scene.

Dullsville.

Sorry, I don't know what is meant by the BIB.

I'm planning a trip to Manchester shortly, precisely for its exciting art and culture scene! Pretentious, moi?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Every time I've been to Manchester it's been raining.

Which is bad luck or part of a sterotypical myth.

London is indeed very dry but Manchester is not close to being the wettest city in the UK. Its not even the wettest in the north west of England. Preston (at 103 cm) is much wetter.

Cardiff is the wettest (115 cm) with Glasgow close behind at 112 cm.

Places in the south like Plymouth are also wetter at 100 cm.

Manchester by comparison has just 86 cm - pretty similar to somewhere like Gloucester.

Given the 'rainy city' acronym of Manchester these facts often surprise people.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Which do you prefer

There's things I think each city does better then the other. However london does win for me, as much as it's built up, it has a lot more open spaces and green areas than Manchester

In the city centre there are probably more green areas in London than Manchester but it is a much larger centre than any other UK city.

But if you include the suburbs then Manchester has many large green parks such as Heaton Park (which is huge), Boggart Hole Clough, Platt Fields, Sale Water Park etc.

All easily accessible from the city centre - often by a short tram ride.

London has not really got a view like the greenery around Jackson's Boat beside the Mersey with the new sweeping viaduct taking the trams over it.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »

Dullsville.

Everywhere has chain restaurants and coffee shops and "shopping malls" (although discounting the Trafford Centre which is outside of Manchester there's only the Arndale centre "shopping mall" as far as I know).

Manchester city centre has some great independant restaurants and bars and some lovely pubs selling good real ales. I particularly like the Northern Quarter.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres so much scum in Manchester... But what do you expect when its surrounded by the poorest inner city areas in the UK
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Theres so much scum in Manchester... But what do you expect when its surrounded by the poorest inner city areas in the UK

Not been to Peckham then?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not been to Peckham then?

Peckham's well on its way to gentrification, which many would argue brings its own problems.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is bad luck or part of a sterotypical myth.

London is indeed very dry but Manchester is not close to being the wettest city in the UK. Its not even the wettest in the north west of England. Preston (at 103 cm) is much wetter.
    Thanks for confirming that the rain I encountered was imaginary. Good thing I haven't had to go to Preston. From the sounds of things that would've been worse luck.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »

Is Tower Hamlets now under the jurisdiction of Manchester City Council?:confused:
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Tower Hamlets now under the jurisdiction of Manchester City Council?:confused:

I'm taking about Salford,. Longsight etc
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see London more as somewhere to visit than live. Everything is too spaced out, there are too many people, and it's just too expensive.

In Manchester you get everything that you get in London, but on a much smaller scale, and if you live on the Cheshire side, the neighbourhoods and satellite towns are as good as the nicest parts of the Home Counties. Which suits me better.

With that said, most of east and north Manchester need knocking down (with the exceptions maybe of Prestwich and Worsley), and the city centre is a hovel considering the amount of money that's been poured into it, but then at least 50% of London is just as bad, so it's all relative.

Also, Manchester has virtually no city centre parks. I've never quite understood why the council would rather see streets full of derelict warehouses and cotton mills when they could just bulldoze them and have a nice park instead. But then I rarely undertstand Manchester Council decisions.
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    the city centre is a hovel considering the amount of money that's been poured into it
    I don't see much wrong with Mchr city centre. It is a shame what they did to Piccy Gardens though.