Options

Hi de Hi

Comments

• Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a big fan of Hi-Di-Hi, I think the other series with mainly the same cast were better, You Rang M'Lord; seldom repeated as the episodes are 45 minutes long and Oh Doctor Beeching. BBC2 Please repeat these.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had Paul Shane not had his mining accident in 1967, and decided to go full time as a comedian and actor, it would have been a big loss.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the home for retired horses gag at the end of today's episode was really funny.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of Hi-Di-Hi, I think the other series with mainly the same cast were better, You Rang M'Lord; seldom repeated as the episodes are 45 minutes long and Oh Doctor Beeching. BBC2 Please repeat these.

Yes, I enjoyed these too. Don't remember watching 3 up 2 down when it was first shown. Watched it today, but it didn't grab me. Would much rather see either of those you mention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the home for retired horses gag at the end of today's episode was really funny.

Especially as none of them looked remotely old. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent and the major out of Fawlty Towers was in a cameo.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    One of the all all time best comedies. Still makes me laugh so much when I watch these. Some comedy writers of today's TV comedies need to take many leafs from this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Excellent and the major out of Fawlty Towers was in a cameo.

And he was Audrey's Uncle Greville in yesterday's To The Manor Born, who popped his clogs and left her enough money to buy back the Manor. He's one of those actors who pop up everywhere but have no idea of his name.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    And he was Audrey's Uncle Greville in yesterday's To The Manor Born, who popped his clogs and left her enough money to buy back the Manor. He's one of those actors who pop up everywhere but have no idea of his name.

Ballard Berkeley
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ballard Berkeley

Now that's what I call a name.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it amusing (and i know this was the way people dressed in the past) how formally dressed people are for being on holiday. Lounging about in a deckchair sunbathing in a three piece suit :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents use to love the show and have been watching the repeats.

In the post war years the Butlins camps where a God send for people food and fun in a grey partly bombed out Britain.

And in those days the holiday camps where just like Hi de Hi and folks loved every minute. As things changed and the package holiday began to appear we all changed and headed for fun in the sun and the old day of dancing, silliness and acting a fool faded away, ah me more rose tinted moments.

In the late 60's we went to a Butlins camp, can't recall which one, but my Goodness it was like PoW camp without the prospect of redcross parcels.

At least with Hi de Hi you don't have to spray the bed for bugs and eat meals swimming in grease just sit back and laugh.

Don't know, in a later episode the cordon bleu chef is ill with food poisoning and some of the chalets look grim. My mother says Hi De Hi is quite accurate for Butlins of the era, rows of chalets like a POW camp, regimented meal times, entertainment that looks embarassing now, but that's all most people could aspire to at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that's what I call a name.

Ballard Berkeley (born Ballard Blascheck; 6 August 1904 – 16 January 1988). His original was better.
  • Options
    Par6Par6 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    It is really a very good representation of what Butlins was like in the 60's and 70's. We went to a different one every year from '1969 to 1974, Filey, Minehead, Bognor Regis, Barry Island, Pwhelli, wonderful times. All the rides were free for the kids, loads of kids clubs freeing the parents up for sunbathing (?) and boozing.
    Even at nights the children were left alone in the chalets while mums and dads went to the cabaret, chalet patrol would walk up and down listening for kids crying then the chalet number was flashed up in the hall, Children crying in chalet number 348 and the parents would quickly rush back and settle the little ones down ! Imagine that now !
    Yes, times were very different back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Par6 wrote: »
    It is really a very good representation of what Butlins was like in the 60's and 70's. We went to a different one every year from '1969 to 1974, Filey, Minehead, Bognor Regis, Barry Island, Pwhelli, wonderful times. All the rides were free for the kids, loads of kids clubs freeing the parents up for sunbathing (?) and boozing.
    Even at nights the children were left alone in the chalets while mums and dads went to the cabaret, chalet patrol would walk up and down listening for kids crying then the chalet number was flashed up in the hall, Children crying in chalet number 348 and the parents would quickly rush back and settle the little ones down ! Imagine that now !
    Yes, times were very different back then

They don't rush back these days they check ever half hour. (OOPS better not go there).
  • Options
    Par6Par6 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    They don't rush back these days they check ever half hour. (OOPS better not go there).
    Yes, if only the McCanns had gone to Butlins instead of Portugal :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Par6 wrote: »
    Yes, if only the McCanns had gone to Butlins instead of Portugal :o

SHUSHHHHHH!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think joining the Paras is difficult, then applying to be a Butlins Redcoat is one of the hardest jobs to apply for, with only one in ten candidates being successful. You have to be able to sing and dance, play sports if required, act as a holiday rep, a bit of a social worker if someone is having a bad time, entertain kids, perform gang shows, dress up in funny costumes and look happy all the time. All this for the mighty sum of £ 13,000 a year, although their accomodation is paid for and they'll get three months off a year.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it amusing (and i know this was the way people dressed in the past) how formally dressed people are for being on holiday. Lounging about in a deckchair sunbathing in a three piece suit :)

True, even when package holidays abroad became popular, people would still travel by plane wearing their best clothes, suits and dresses, and then when dining in the hotel they would put their best clothes on.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Yes, Greencoats were Warners although my holiday camp did have Yellow coats many years before. I know they filmed Hi de hi at my camp but only some of the swimming pool scenes. By the way we were forbidden from saying the words Holiday Camp, it was always Holiday Centre. ;-)

I really do have such great memories from working there. The Greencoats all stayed in the same chalet block and if you wanted to hear what someone was saying in another chalet you would just put a glass to the wall and listen. Paper thin walls. There were no secrets put it that way. There were lots of visiting celebrity acts, sports stars etc. Some of them really did have a girl in every camp. Ooh the stories I could tell. :D

I worked for Ladbrokes in Cornwall when they tried to enter the holiday camp market in the mid 70's. I agree with the 'stories you could tell' remark.

I was eighteen when I went to work there and thought I was relatively sexually aware - good God was I wrong. It was a Goldsboro transformation. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    True, even when package holidays abroad became popular, people would still travel by plane wearing their best clothes, suits and dresses, and then when dining in the hotel they would put their best clothes on.
    I don't think T shirts and slacks really became popular until the mid sixties. However, even into the eighties, men would insist on wearing a tie when they went for a drink.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Don't know, in a later episode the cordon bleu chef is ill with food poisoning and some of the chalets look grim. My mother says Hi De Hi is quite accurate for Butlins of the era, rows of chalets like a POW camp, regimented meal times, entertainment that looks embarassing now, but that's all most people could aspire to at the time.
    Hadn't many originally been used (and perhaps built) by the services during WWII?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Hadn't many originally been used (and perhaps built) by the services during WWII?

Skegness was a Naval Barracks during the war, Billy Butlin was a very shrewd business man, he built Skegness just before the war and then leased it to the government for the duration and got it back after.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed Arthur Bostrom aka Officer Crabtree from Allo Allo in today's episode