15 year old heads off to Syria

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    It's depends on whether you think being covered up is required by the religion or not. I've heard many Muslim women say it's just a tribal tradition from some parts of the Muslim world. All the religious requirement says is to dress 'modestly'.

As the rules the judge quoted from were not from the State she is a judge in then I think the question's moot tbh.

However Islam has a lot of interpretations so I think it would be hard to argue that hers is 'wrong'... it is worn, as far as she is concerned, as an expression of her faith and millions of other Muslim women do the same... so had the case been in Ontario and not Quebec I think it would have been hard to argue the religious exemption didn't apply..
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    No tassels or sequins... that's the trick...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Dress-Modestly-As-a-Muslim-Girl

"Wearing it is a command by Allah swt, we have to obey this rule or face punishment."

This means that you must obey Allah's command to cover everything apart from your face and hands (on which opinion is divided).

Allah made the the laws but they can;t decide on what is to be covered :D
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    that is so true everybody should play by the same rules and there's no extensions

Totally agree .Religious freedom yes but special religious priviledge-no.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I get the feeling that these latest girls from London wont be mentioned on the news anymore.The chance of them returning anytime soon is low.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    This is excessive though, isn't it? After all, her face is clearly visible. Imo, the judge has gone too far.

Canadian judge tells Muslim woman he will not hear her case until she removes her headscarf
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2971856/Canadian-judge-tells-Muslim-woman-not-hear-case-removes-headscarf.html

That's an interesting one.

When I first saw your post and link I was like yes that's way too far. You can't ban that. Her face is wholly uncovered.

But having the courage of your convictions is probably needed and I applaud the judge for asking her to remove it because the courtroom is a secular building. Removing all overt religious dress or symbols is a reasonable position to take.

But then the judge went and ruined it a bit by saying hats and sunglasses weren't allowed so why should scarves? Which is also a valid argument but not the same one.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an interesting one.

When I first saw your post and link I was like yes that's way too far. You can't ban that. Her face is wholly uncovered.

But having the courage of your convictions is probably needed and I applaud the judge for asking her to remove it because the courtroom is a secular building. Removing all overt religious dress or symbols is a reasonable position to take.

But then the judge went and ruined it a bit by saying hats and sunglasses weren't allowed so why should scarves? Which is also a valid argument but not the same one.

I've never heard of an Amish or Mennonite being asked to remove her cap, nor a Jewish person the yarmulke, so I suspect again that it has something to do with our accepting some cultural or religious symbols while finding others distasteful.

Have to agree that it's a different argument from sunglasses.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all headgear , crash helmets, caps, scarves, Burkas, etc, should be removed when entering public buildings, shopping centres, Banks, etc, so that CCTV can get a good look at you .
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they got the bus into Syria, they must have someone meeting them when they get off bus surely?

There must be a fixer who arranged this, probably more 'brides' on the way then?

Anyone know of any links to videos of life in Syria? I know nothing of what it is like and I would like to see.
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Anyone know of any links to videos of life in Syria? I know nothing of what it is like and I would like to see.

There are tons of videos on YouTube. If you search for "raqqa" (the capital of the Islamic State) then a bunch of stuff will pop up. The jihadists also frequently release propaganda videos, many far too gruesome to be found on YouTube, although I am baffled how witnessing homosexuals thrown from high buildings, people being burned alive, beheadings, hands being chopped off and other Sharia related activities is meant to be promotional, however the flow of foreign recruits continues to grow..
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of these girls being described as "missing"

They aren't.

They decided, of their own accord, to go and become terrorist brides.

Personally I hope the reality of their situation is just as horrific as they want it to be.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are tons of videos on YouTube. If you search for "raqqa" (the capital of the Islamic State) then a bunch of stuff will pop up. The jihadists also frequently release propaganda videos, many far too gruesome to be found on YouTube, although I am baffled how witnessing homosexuals thrown from high buildings, people being burned alive, beheadings, hands being chopped off and other Sharia related activities is meant to be promotional, however the flow of foreign recruits continues to grow..
    I don't want to watch any that torture stuff.

I was thinking more day to day life.

What will it be like for these 3 girls, I take it the IS group live in mountains or desert camps?
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I don't want to watch any that torture stuff.

None of the brutal stuff is on YouTube as they remove it, but there are clips taken with hidden cameras etc of daily life in Raqqa within the first page of search results.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    ..we have to expose the violent jihadism of Isis for what it is: ugly, frightened and weak, terrified of modernity, terrified of the past, terrified of women, and terrified of difference. So that no one, given the choice, would ever choose it over us.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/27/isis-mohammed-emwazi-islamic-state-binary-view-good-evil?CMP=fb_gu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of these girls being described as "missing"

They aren't.

They decided, of their own accord, to go and become terrorist brides.

Personally I hope the reality of their situation is just as horrific as they want it to be.

They've been gone a week now, some cctv of them catching a bus in Istanbul. I wonder if they are sick of wearing Burkas not being allowed out etc , being married off to some murdering freak, and want to come home. Too bad let them rot there.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now these girls are in Syria so they will be probably roped into as kitchen skivvies by the ISIS organisation as there's loads for them to be done. Like making cups of tea & sarnies for these fightin' fellas & a HUGE pile of crockery to be washed & dried afterwards. And even more cooking...

I'm sure they won't moan & whine about doing things like above as they're proved to be quite tough i.e. spending over 18 hours waiting at a bus station in Turkey - that's a feat of endurance especially for an idiotic self-deluded teen girl like these 3 are...
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable report on BBC news now bemoaning that British agencies / police didn't do enough to trace the girls.

It's not our fault. It's theirs. They decided to follow a lunatic religion.
    And they're not 'missing' anymore - they decided to go off and join a crazy sect where women are treated marginally better than a dog.

They will reap what they've sowed and there we are.
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that they have crossed border there should be no more reporting of them.

They have made their choice so let them get on with it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Now that they have crossed border there should be no more reporting of them.

They have made their choice so let them get on with it.

Yep, spilt milk and all that. We should focus now on stopping the next batch of naive starry-eyed schoolkids from being groomed exploited and radicalised - by telling the truth about Islamic terrorists and their methods in schools. All of them, every week starting in year 6 or even earlier.

Fight fire with fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Yep, spilt milk and all that. We should focus now on stopping the next batch of naive starry-eyed schoolkids from being groomed exploited and radicalised - by telling the truth about Islamic terrorists and their methods in schools. All of them, every week starting in year 6 or even earlier.

Fight fire with fire.

I agree we should stop reporting it now, we are fed up of hearing about it now, however instead of stopping them going, we should encourage them and give them free air tickets.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These three girls have forfeited all right to come back to this country now that they have crossed into syria as should all who have gone out to fight with IS. They have joined a terrorist group and they should be treated like terrorists. IMHO
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I agree we should stop reporting it now, we are fed up of hearing about it now, however instead of stopping them going, we should encourage them and give them free air tickets.

Perhaps I have misunderstood you? Are you saying we should be encouraging young people to join terrorist groups?
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Unbelievable report on BBC news now bemoaning that British agencies / police didn't do enough to trace the girls.

It's not our fault. It's theirs. They decided to follow a lunatic religion.
    And they're not 'missing' anymore - they decided to go off and join a crazy sect where women are treated marginally better than a dog.

They will reap what they've sowed and there we are.

It's top story on BBC news!. They are really trying to get us to care aren't they?. I'm willing to bet most of us don't.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's top story on BBC news!. They are really trying to get us to care aren't they?. I'm willing to bet most of us don't.

why would anyone care about this disgusting vile sicking evil creature
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Perhaps I have misunderstood you? Are you saying we should be encouraging young people to join terrorist groups?

If they want to go, why stop them? we are better off without them, good riddance, and hope they soon meet Allah.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Neither I, nor anyone I have spoken to about these lunatics has any sympathy for them but the news are doing the usual thing they do here, flood our screens with it and make it look like we all care. No one does. They freely and willingly left their comfortable suburban homes to run off to a warzone and join a group which is recognised as a mass murdering terrorist organisation. Not one of them was forced to do this, they clearly haven't met anyone in Turkey who was encouraging them either. Just what will they get out of it?

They will be forced to serve these ISIS nutters 24/7, almost certainly be gang raped and forced to bear children with no regard for their own wellbeing, and those children, when born will most certainly be stolen from them too. They will have no way of contacting home at all and if they disobey or resist they will be killed instantly. Even if they have a change of heart and decide to escape they will quickly find themselves in the middle of hell with nowhere to run to. Their passports will have been stolen and probably destroyed by now anyway, as well as any money they had or any communication devices. They have literally walked into their own deaths...willingly and we are supposed to feel sorry for them?

All the evidence is out there about what they were walking in to and they still went and left their loving families behind. They deserve all the get for freely running off to this group. Do they think it's like a gap year or something? They must have realised they had one way tickets?

Presumably they have been on Turkish news too and wherever they have been staying they would have been able to see at least one newspaper (English language papers are widely available in Turkey) or news report featuring them. They know full well what their actions are doing to their families. They have spent several days in Istanbul as well, so a phone call, text, email, tweet or whatever to home would have been entirely possible. To not even call home at this point just shows they are totally warped and disgusting creatures. In what way is this anyones fault but their own?