Options

Isnt it about time the Groups catagory was scrapped

JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
Forum Member
✭✭
Im not just saying this because of Jedward ,who only serve to illustrate how sad this catagory has become, especially when they have to concoct groups to make up the 3:rolleyes:
I feel sorry for Louis, who seems to get landed with this catagory.
Whats so wrong with having an over 25's male & female instead.
I hope that after this year the producers will seriously change it.
Yes I know JLS have made it, although I didnt think much to their solo vocals last night - very weak.
I could name others like Same Difference and that Scottish duo. I've forgot who else, which says it all.

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that it's unfair on the groups that are good.

Frankly I think they need to scrap the whole categories together and just have the best 12 acts male, female, old, young, groups or otherwise
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have a separate competition for the groups.
  • Options
    TidleeTidlee Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the trouble is that its more difficult to get a group performing well together - the harmonies have to be spot on. For me, the only classy group to come out of XFactor is G4, and they were genuine musicians who did their own arrangements.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The groups should definitely be canned & if they don't can the groups, all female groups should not bother applying in future.

I bet if Destniny's Child turned up on the X-Factor, they wouldn't make it past week 3; that's how treacherous it is for female groups.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    It is unfair on Louis - he has had the groups 4/6 times.

I am surprised that Cheryl hasn't had the Groups yet - having been in one she would have the experience of what its like................

But groups never do well - and I suppose its because you can't warm to them as much as an individual
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 acts should be shortlisted...............made up of the same breakdown as now.... overs... boys, girls and groups....

except..... the 12 names should be placed in sealed envelopes LET US THE PUBLIC see the judges step forward and pick three envelopes each.

They end up with a mix of whoever..... they could have an over, a girl and group to deal with. Make them earn their money. I find it quite boring have the judges have all of the same category each.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tidlee wrote: »
    I think the trouble is that its more difficult to get a group performing well together - the harmonies have to be spot on. For me, the only classy group to come out of XFactor is G4, and they were genuine musicians who did their own arrangements.

I agree with that
    G4 were best group to come out of X Factor
    JLS are good but G4 are or rather best ever
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with that
    G4 were best group to come out of X Factor
    JLS are good but G4 are or rather best ever

that's obviously a matter of opinion :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennyloo wrote: »
    I
    Whats so wrong with having an over 25's male & female instead.

I don't think you could amalgamate the groups in to the under or over 25's

It wont happen ...but what if the Jackson 5 turned up on xFactor Michael was a kid and the oldest brother was well over 25.

As it stands now Michael wouldn't have been allowed on as he wouldn't have been 16.

It's never fair when its a contrived program with rules to produce the "right result" at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    conchie wrote: »
    12 acts should be shortlisted...............made up of the same breakdown as now.... overs... boys, girls and groups....

except..... the 12 names should be placed in sealed envelopes LET US THE PUBLIC see the judges step forward and pick three envelopes each.

They end up with a mix of whoever..... they could have an over, a girl and group to deal with. Make them earn their money. I find it quite boring have the judges have all of the same category each.

I like that idea - can't imagine Simon having the balls to go for it though!
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

someone else suggested this/something similar on a thread last week - that each mentor should have a group, a girl, a boy, and an over.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Unless it is a duet like J&E it is hard to relate to the groups - its just less easy for the public to get to know them and vote for them.

Perhaps all girl groups should be banned- the girlbands have always done badly vs say JLS, the Macdonalds, Same Difference, G4 and Jedward.
  • Options
    americandreameramericandreamer Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    :eek: in a word...no - keep the groups!
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Alex and Leona, JLS are the biggest thing to come out of The X Factor, I'd go as far to say that G4 were also very big.

So why should they be scrapped, if two of the shows biggest ever acts are groups?

Also John and Edward are a group and seem to have taken the media by storm this series.

Groups IMO, are always the most interesting and fun category.
  • Options
    TidleeTidlee Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's obviously a matter of opinion :o

Of course it is - everything on here is a matter of opinion. That's the whole point isn't it?!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. Looks like a group might actually win this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should keep the groups :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member

Well I could not agree more with this, spot on, make them work for their money. I also think this way you would have more of an interesting show as this one is becoming very boring and the slight changes they have made have not made it more interesting really, ie the auditions in live theatres!
  • Options
    fairycakesfairycakes Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally love the groups. Last series JLS were my favourites, this series Jedward are my faves and I also loved Hope and Eton Road.
    In terms of sucess, JLS are doing very well at the moment. Despite the fact that they are the only group who have done well out of the show (apart from, perhaps G4) I think the groups category is brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member

i like that idea the judges have one of each catergory we all better lobby simon for next year