Options

Female protestor smeared in oil interrupts BP Chief Executive Tony Hayward (BBC News)

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
Shown a little earlier. It's followed by his full initial speech.

http://bit.ly/TonyHayward

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mijath wrote: »
    Ridiculous woman.

Especially for waiting 90 minutes to do that.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why doesn't he point out that Americans own 43% of BP and that the rigs are American, he has got the whole of America watching him.
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why is BP expected to pay the salarys of all the other oil workers in the gulf when it was the president who banned further drilling in the area. ?

Could also mention Bhopal - see if that gets a reaction
    20,000 deaths and only a couple of local Indian staff brought to book ( yes I know its not oil but surely principle is same)

US is quite happy to sh1t in other peoples backyards but when its closer to home less so
  • Options
    Philly1234Philly1234 Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, comparing this catastrophe to all the others is productive. Ruining the coast line of five states and taking away thousands of people's livelihoods is just another day. All these corporations suck, they should all have to pay. What's the point of rationalizing any of these idiots behavior? Who cares who owns the stock? Ugh.
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    send him to prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And why is BP expected to pay the salarys of all the other oil workers in the gulf when it was the president who banned further drilling in the area. ?

20,000 deaths and only a couple of local Indian staff brought to book ( yes I know its not oil but surely principle is same)

US is quite happy to sh1t in other peoples backyards but when its closer to home less so

Governments never care unless there's oil involved. That's why Mugabe has been allowed to get away with murdering his own people for years on end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I saw this earlier, I thought it was disgraceful how he answered "I don't know" or "I was not evolved in that decision" to nearly every question :(

I HATE how arsey the Americans are getting over this - I think it was The Sun/Daily Mail reported that their now having 'Anti-British' campaigns :eek: how laughable considering all the support we gave them over hurricane Katrina.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am suprised she got in
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    She might not have been protesting, she could have just been driving a Alfa.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I HATE how arsey the Americans are getting over this - I think it was The Sun/Daily Mail reported that their now having 'Anti-British' campaigns :eek: how laughable considering all the support we gave them over hurricane Katrina.

It also seems that the Americans, shockingly including their President too, think that BP somehow stands for 'British Petroleum'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member

Been waiting ages for someone to pick up on this seems its ignored it only got a minuite on the news a few days ago to surely its worth more than that.
  • Options
    clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screw 'em.

As Amanda Platell suggested on Question Time last night, let's pull all the troops out of Aghanistan.

This "special" relationship has been far too one-sided for far too long.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Whatever the failings of Hayward - and my god there are more than a few - the way that hearing was conducted was a disgrace. I'm only surprised they didn't end it like that Fawlty Towers episode when they called Bernard Cribbins over, stuck custard pies down his kecks and kicked him out the door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obama is enjoying grandstanding over this, has BP at any time said they won't pay for damages? I've only ever heard them say that they will!
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she that oblivious she hasn't realised the irony in doing this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    Whatever the failings of Hayward - and my god there are more than a few - the way that hearing was conducted was a disgrace. I'm only surprised they didn't end it like that Fawlty Towers episode when they called Bernard Cribbins over, stuck custard pies down his kecks and kicked him out the door.

PMSL!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lizjane wrote: »
    Obama is enjoying grandstanding over this, has BP at any time said they won't pay for damages? I've only ever heard them say that they will!

Obama's an idiot. He thinks he's infallible like David Palmer.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I saw this earlier, I thought it was disgraceful how he answered "I don't know" or "I was not evolved in that decision" to nearly every question :(

They are not. The daily mail and other trouble makers are intentionally finding insult where there is none by conflating the identity of bp with that of british people in general.
    Theres a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding going on here, one woman on question time was upset at the harsh grilling the bp executive got during the congressional hearing, and considered it anti british. This is plain ignorance because thats what happens during such hearings, whether its bp executives, bankers, or cigarette company executives they get bashed about in the political theatre and some congressmen say stupid things. To make it personal is to horribly misread the situation.

Believe me, americans don't care that much. Most don't have an idea of the supposed insult being felt by some in the uk. Most others would be simply confused at that kind of overreaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Screw 'em.

As Amanda Platell suggested on Question Time last night, let's pull all the troops out of Aghanistan.

This "special" relationship has been far too one-sided for far too long.

Yea...well that was rather pathetic. A couple thousand? How many american DEAD have there been helping you in two wars? I know you'd rather not think about that. That she was so ignorant of how exactly the scales balance in this issue was painful to watch.

and i'm sure it hurts to see its sarah palin that defends bp lol
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2010/06/onshore-drilling-palin-oil Not at all the convenient narrative some who insist on causing trouble would acknowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    It also seems that the Americans, shockingly including their President too, think that BP somehow stands for 'British Petroleum'!

No, whats shocking is you seem to not understand that american's don't care about the distinction you make in the names bp and british petroleum. Its just a company name either way. Understand? It has no more meaning than american apparel, its a brand. Its really not that hard:P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Yea...well that was rather pathetic. A couple thousand? How many american DEAD have there been helping you in two wars? I know you'd rather not think about that.

And if it hadn't been for Pearl Harbour, you'd probably not have even gotten involved in WW2.

It makes me laugh how hypocritical Americans really can be. The world's worst polluters, the Bhopal incident, Exxon Valdez.. the list goes on.

Mark my words, if the Americans were drilling and caused a similar disaster in the English channel they'd be doing naff all right now. At least BP are trying to remedy the situation.

I read somewhere the debate topic "Has Obama damaged the reputation of Britain?" I venture to suggest that he has damaged his own and America's reputation much more than he has of Britain.

Bullies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And if it hadn't been for Pearl Harbour, you'd probably not have even gotten involved in WW2.

It makes me laugh how hypocritical Americans really can be. The world's worst polluters, the Bhopal incident, Exxon Valdez.. the list goes on.

Mark my words, if the Americans were drilling and caused a similar disaster in the English channel they'd be doing naff all right now. At least BP are trying to remedy the situation.

I read somewhere the debate topic "Has Obama damaged the reputation of Britain?" I venture to suggest that he has damaged his own and America's reputation much more than he has of Britain.

Bullies.

Americans had already spent over 100,000 lives in ww1 before world war 2, so you see where the scales stood even then. So you can't complain american's didn't rush into war with you in ww2. America did help you under the table to the pint where it pissed hitler off pretty bad, never mind japan. If america wanted to look out for number 1 only it would have never backed your side placing america in opposition to both germany and japan, there would have been plenty of ways to stay out of wars, most involve throwing the uk under the bus. So if you think pointing that out helps your case..it doesn't. It only shows how brits who complain about the special relationship don't understand how the scales balance.

Bullies

Oh laugh away. You don't seem to understand that the only one that comes off shamefully is you. The extremely thin skin seemly looking for an opportunity to be offended based on total cultural/political ignorance undermines your supposed status as being more worldly, informed, or sophisticated than the americans. Your reaction shows how strangely you identify with a multinational oil corporation just because it shares your countries name in some strange way. How you wilfully confuse americans use of the name bp as somehow meaning the british people. Its just a bizarre thing to see. The rest of your rant is just more steam being blown off in some hissy fit that is just plain odd to watch. Its like watching a mental breakdown happening with some brits. Perhaps its the psychology of a down economy and the heavy cuts being faced, the psychology of some is looking for some kind of victimhood, but in any case, its entirely irrational.

Your last word says it all doesn't it. You say bullies as if obama was bullying the british people, when he's just holding an oil companies feet to the fire. That you so readily confuse yourself with an oil company to cast yourself as victim is just disturbing.

and i know you seriously would desperately like to ignore the fact that people like sarah palin are defending bp:):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Perhaps its the psychology of a down economy and the heavy cuts being faced, but in any case, its entirely irrational.

American banks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    American banks.

Who also got grilled on capital hill....:P

Political theatre happens when government can't prevent or really stop disaster. To make it personal is pure ignorance.