Ask yourself "Just who is my Doctor"?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
Forum Member
As it says on the tin.. for me its the final time I will even consider the above........ I hope :D

Anyway, last night I watched the Impossible planet. At the time this episode kicked ass in terms of depth and fear and creativity. Tennants acting was very good, BUT.....

Everytime I look at tennant next to Smith, I cant help but think Smith is the better actor of the two.

Examples are the emotional scenes, Tennant put so much into the Holding back tears look and dragged out much of the emotion. Smith on the other hand seems so much more accomplished at brushing aside the emotion and tuning up in a situation that needs it ala TPO when being dragged inside.......

So for me in summary Ive come to terms with Smith FInally, He is now MY DOCTOR!!! :D :cool:

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    4 was my Doctor as a child, but since the new series started , 10 pips him at the post every time, and no one else holds a candle to him.I watched a couple of 10 episodes yesterday and I feel thye are as fresh now as they were when I first watched them, I never tire of 10. To me there is no comparison between 10 and 11, just think of midnight, and TPO, 10s fantastic portrayal of being dragged into the unknown is head and shoulders above, so many emotions with no words, everything in the eyes.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smith is astounding... his natural ability, his dedication, the subtlety of his performance. His Doctor never seems like a character played by an actor, which is quite a feat considering the character is a 900+ year-old alien. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Smith is astounding... his natural ability, his dedication, the subtlety of his performance. His Doctor never seems like a character played by an actor, which is quite a feat considering the character is a 900+ year-old alien. :)

Precisely!!! Immensely talented Actor. He's the same age as me... Im so jealous! Im an It project manager, he is THE DOCTOR!!!! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I quite like Smith, but admittedly I also liked Tennant and Ecclestone.

Tom Baker was the Doctor I grew up on (delayed runs on Gibraltar TV in the early 80s) and I think to me he will always be the Doctor. Jon Pertwee was also a good doc I think.

I however dislike greatly Colin Baker and Troughton's doctors.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Smith, I just adore him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Tennant was the Doctor that helped me fall in love with the show, so I consider him 'my Doctor.'

Tom Baker is still my favourite Doctor, however.

Smith is a phenomenal actor, but hasn't been there long enough yet. For me, he's behind the Fourth, Tenth and Third, but by the time he's done, he'll probably be higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking to my friends and I asked them when you think of the Doctor who do you think of? We all said David Tennant, even me. Which is weird because I love Matt Smith so much more! I was re-watching series 2 and I was thinking how much I'd rather it were Matt, he's more Doctory. I love Matt... Did I mention that? :D
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten

It's gotta be Ten for me.

I watched at 2005 onwards but my Doctor Who obsession began in Series 3. Matt Smith is a fine Doctor in his own right but David Tennant is possibly the greatest Doctor that will ever be,. In my opinion of course. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Four as a child (although I enjoyed Davison back then). Now it has to be CE. I just wish they'd signed him on a 3 year contract originally.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Five and Seven, for me. As has been said before, it comes down to your formative years. Five was my earliest real recollection of the Doctor and it was essential watching for my developing brain even when I couldn't understand a bit of it. I drifted away during Six, and although I remember the regen into Seventh, I didn't really pick it up again until the Ace era, when the writing got a little smarter and sharper, perfect fodder for my newly-acquired, almost-adult brain.

Aside from that, my favourite Doctors are Baker#1, McCoy and that there new Smith boy - but I lay much of the credit for that on the scriptwriters of their times as much as the performances.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up with 5-6-7. My earliest memories are of 4's last series. I have a real emotional reaction to these Doctors. Love 'em.

Love 'em all really. Except 10. Smug Mockney Git, sobbing and weeping all over the place.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom, for me-though I do think Matt is terrific and I'm also a big fan of Troughton and McGann. Then again, I like most of them. Except Tennant.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eccleston remains my favourite of them all. Much as I like Matt Smith's quirkiness and actually seeming alien, I think he handles emotional scenes terribly. Though I don't think they've been written particularly well for him either, so he's at a disadvantage there.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Matt Smiths performance and I'm enjoying his tenure far more than Tennants at the moment but Tom Baker was the Doctor I grew up with and have the best memories of. I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I watch one of his stories on DVD. I would never say he is 'My Doctor' though as the phrase is trite, twee and makes me cringe every time I read it.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Tough one for me!
    I prefer Matt as he's the most quirky/alien type Doctor. Chris and David were good too - but very human.
    My favourite of the 'oldies' though - Pat Troughton!
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History teaches us that long-term viewers' favourite Doctor will be whichever one they happen to be watching on DVD at the time...recent viewers will generally say whichever Doctor is in the current series they are watching/have just watched...that's the incredible magic of the character created back in 1963 and long may he continue!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    My favorite from the past is Jon Pertwee, and my favorite of the new show is Smith. Both made him a strong man who jumps everywhere, I really like this part of the character. And Smith is the most alien-type : The Lodger would have worked less with Tennant or Eccleston, and I don' t see Tennant, though he is brilliant, jumping from the stag party cake at all !
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker.:confused:

or

David Tennant.:)
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Eccleston got me loving the show, but Tennant takes pride and place at number one.

That reminds me, going to watch Human Nature and The Family of Blood later :) Just love them two eps.
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Always will be Tom Baker for me. His characterization brought Doctor who to the rest of the world when we were getting bombarded by Star Wars and The Six million Dollar man. For me he brought humour and was a bit punk. I think DT was great and I understand why he'll top the best polls now, mainly because he's still at the forefront of peoples minds and also the first exposure to the show. Matt Smith is brilliant and is absolutley "The Doctor" I think he's brought back the action hero like the classic Doctors not so much of the romantic lead of CE and DT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pertwee for me. But Tennant runs him a very close second. I do like Matt Smith enormously though. He's made a terrific Doctor and has been by far the best thing in this uneven and at times (for me) disappointing and frustrating season.

I'm also one of the few Doctor Who fans who finds Tom Baker hugely overrated and annoying. His first two seasons were very good indeed, but when he had weaker producers his self-indulgence became unbearable for me. Or maybe I was growing out of Who at that time when I was in my teens. That said, time hasn't altered my view and of the two Bakers, I much prefer Colin. There, I've said it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is my Doctor? All of them.

Currently, Matt Smith is playing The Doctor superbly well, and is a joy to watch.

Which was my personal favourite incarnation? David Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    pertwee is my doctor
    i like eccleston as much as i like pertwee
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the fifth doctor best out of the classic series and the tenth doctor from the new series. That's not to say I don't enjoy nine or eleven or that I don't rate them as good actors.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Don't like to say this.....but has anyone mentioned the 7th Doctor? I didn't like him either - I don't know why! He was just too...ermm short. Rrrrrrrrambled on a bit and was TOO mysterious towards the end (Merlin? The Hand Of Omega?)
    I felt sorry for McCoy - the BBC budget didn't help!:rolleyes: