Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    brimogbrimog Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I think smooth extra should close. add extra s playlist to smooth . they would save money. Then it would more variety. Call it smooth variety. The station is a good but needs to stop playing the same songs every day. There are other songs( example ) by Elton John candle in the wind which they play every day. Surely they could play some of his other songs. I must admit I do like the music but I get fed up with hearing the same songs ever day. Does anybody agree or disagree.
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it does play Daniel, Your Song, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Nikita, sacrifice and Don't let the sun go down on me. Considering it's relaxing approach that's pretty much all the good (and crucially, familiar) ones covered.
  • Options
    brimogbrimog Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Perhaps smooth does play other songs by Elton John but when I listen which is most mornings I seem to hear the same songs. Perhaps they play different songs in the afternoon.if you would like any songs on smooth what would they be?
  • Options
    OrmeMacOrmeMac Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    The thing is when you are listening out for a song you always note when you hear it. It was the same with Magic before it was taken off DAB the last time.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    Uplifting? How is Smooth output uplifting? Suicidal would be more appropriate.

Wind beneath my wings...hotel California ... Remember me ... Sweet Caroline ... Let it be ... Can't get enough of your love babe ... Young hearts run free... And almost no unnecessary yada yada.

Maybe you want to kill yourself to that, many many others are 'stayin' alive' to it quite happily[/QUOTE]

Young Hearts Run Free is a very uplifting song.

Smooth also plays Guess that's why they call it the blues and Rocket Man out of Elton's songs. I have heard Tiny Dancer and Philadelphia Freedom on the Great British Songbook too

Gary King is in for Paul Phear this week
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smooth should gave Gary King a weekday show.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Well it does play Daniel, Your Song, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Nikita, sacrifice and Don't let the sun go down on lo me. Considering it's relaxing approach that's pretty much all the good (and crucially, familiar) ones covered.

Add I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues played at breakfast today.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am enjoying hearing Amy Winehouse Back to Black on Smooth. Though they are beginning to overplay it slightly

This morning I switched off when Temptations Just my imagination was played
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I am enjoying hearing Amy Winehouse Back to Black on Smooth. Though they are beginning to overplay it slightly

This morning I switched off when Temptations Just my imagination was played

That's the whole problem Smooth overplay everything on there playlist. Its not really what they play but how many times they do.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sure thats not heart your listening too. It's overplayed on there too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You sure thats not heart your listening too. It's overplayed on there too.

Heart Smooth more music repetition than you ever thought possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Heart Smooth more music repetition than you ever thought possible.

Why do you think they do that?
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it because the same songs are being played consistently ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

To annoy listeners whose brains have the capacity to appreciate more than 300 songs over and over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must try that in my next business plan when I'm approaching investors - 'give me several million for my product, it'll really annoy people'!
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    To annoy listeners whose brains have the capacity to appreciate more than 300 songs over and over.

Why would you be a listener to a station you clearly cannot stand It makes no sense.

Luckilly i've never met this person who holds a gun to people's heads forcing them to listen to a station they don't like. Being free and having full cognitive functioning I am able to change my radio station or even turn it off. This is something I do frequently and I recommend you try it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who says I listen? We are all free to comment its not compulsory to listen as well.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Why would you be a listener to a station you clearly cannot stand It makes no sense.

Luckilly i've never met this person who holds a gun to people's heads forcing them to listen to a station they don't like. Being free and having full cognitive functioning I am able to change my radio station or even turn it off. This is something I do frequently and I recommend you try it.

The problem is with the exception of the BBC all of the stations are like this.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says I listen? We are all free to comment its not compulsory to listen as well.

To me, your posts seem to indicate you listen:
    Add I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues played at breakfast today.
    That's the whole problem Smooth overplay everything on there playlist. Its not really what they play but how many times they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    To me, your posts seem to indicate you listen:

Nope just aircheck it to see if its improved. You will see from my older posts that its over a year now since I was a regular listener. I gave up when Simon and Lynn went and were replaced by the so called celebrities.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope just aircheck it to see if its improved. You will see from my older posts that its over a year now since I was a regular listener. I gave up when Simon and Lynn went and were replaced by the so called celebrities.

Of course ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The main improvement is in the number of people loving it. Yes yes we get that they're all mentally inferior to you. You're not Stephen Hawking posting under a pseudonym by any chance... If so why not give us a Brief History Of Successful Radio Formats? :)
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quit before Amara did this station is bad for your mental well-being.

however............my wife mainly an LBC listener occasionally listens to Smooth: blush: and doesn't understand why I don't :confused: she really enjoys the music and doesn't notice the repetition: cry:
    is she typical of the Smooth target audience (she is 51)
    please don't tell anyone else that my wife listens to this drivel otherwise I wont be able to show myself in public again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    I quit before Amara did this station is bad for your mental well-being.

however............my wife mainly an LBC listener occasionally listens to Smooth: blush: and doesn't understand why I don't :confused: she really enjoys the music and doesn't notice the repetition: cry:
    is she typical of the Smooth target audience (she is 51)
    please don't tell anyone else that my wife listens to this drivel otherwise I wont be able to show myself in public again.

A rather illuminating contribution Al, and it shows that Global (And Magic before them) worked out this counter-intuitive formula. Nothing to do with laziness, sloppiness or a lack of imagination. It's good old targeting and customer service. Amara and yourself aren't the customer and its probably best you don't share your views with the growing army of 'drivel' lovers in public ;)
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main improvement is in the number of people loving it. Yes yes we get that they're all mentally inferior to you. You're not Stephen Hawking posting under a pseudonym by any chance... If so why not give us a Brief History Of Successful Radio Formats? :)

Do you work in radio, by any chance?

If not, you certainly should. You have a personality tailor made for it.