Options

Pay as you go dongle

TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm using the internet less than I used to and it has been suggested to me that a pay as you go dongle would be a better option. On top of this, we are moving in the spring, so will have to change address on our BT broadband anyway.

The problem is that I have no idea what to get or where to get it. I'm a bit nervous of going into a shop 'blind' and being sold something I don't need.

I have a pay as you go phone and £50 last me a year, so I'm more than happy with the deal and wondered if the mobile dongle would be as effortless as that.

Can some kind person explain to me the pros and cons? I am over 60 so be gentle!

Comments

• Options
    TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use a Three dongle as I could use it where ever I was for work. No problem to set up and use. If you want to connect more than one PC or laptop consider the MiFi wireless dongle. See here for more info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you just hook up your laptop to your mobile and get on line that way?
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Trajet. Just the info I needed.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    I'm using the internet less than I used to and it has been suggested to me that a pay as you go dongle would be a better option. On top of this, we are moving in the spring, so will have to change address on our BT broadband anyway.

The problem is that I have no idea what to get or where to get it. I'm a bit nervous of going into a shop 'blind' and being sold something I don't need.

I have a pay as you go phone and £50 last me a year, so I'm more than happy with the deal and wondered if the mobile dongle would be as effortless as that.

Can some kind person explain to me the pros and cons? I am over 60 so be gentle!
    You might be better finding lower cost broadband rather than moving to a dongle. PAYG wireless broadband is slow and expensive. Do you actually use it outside the home? If not, it's a waste of time.

If you moved to a broadband provider like Plusnet you could be paying just £6.50 a month.

If you are going to have a dongle, you need to make sure you can get good reception in your home. 3 are notorious for their poor coverage in many areas.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You might be better finding lower cost broadband rather than moving to a dongle. PAYG wireless broadband is slow and expensive. Do you actually use it outside the home? If not, it's a waste of time.

If you moved to a broadband provider like Plusnet you could be paying just £6.50 a month.

If you are going to have a dongle, you need to make sure you can get good reception in your home. 3 are notorious for their poor coverage in many areas.

Crap, your information is obviously out of date mate are 3 have spent 400 million pounds in the last year increasing coverage and now has more 3G masts than any other network and greater 3G coverage than any other network.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »

T-Mobile do a good PAYG dongle, where you can pay £2 for 24 hrs, £5 for 1 week or £10 for 1 month.

It's flexible & easy to manage & as long as you use it within 6 months, you won't be cut off.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T-Mobile do a good PAYG dongle, where you can pay £2 for 24 hrs, £5 for 1 week or £10 for 1 month.

It's flexible & easy to manage & as long as you use it within 6 months, you won't be cut off.

With a fair use policy of 1 gig per week or 2 gig per month, which is fairly decent.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Crap, your information is obviously out of date mate are 3 have spent 400 million pounds in the last year increasing coverage and now has more 3G masts than any other network and greater 3G coverage than any other network.
    :D Thank you for the updated information.

However, the advice still stands; you should check any potential wireless broadband provider to check you have good coverage in your area before buying.