Boy Defies Uniform Rule By Wearing A Skirt

thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
Forum Member
✭✭✭

A 12-year-old boy has worn a skirt to lessons in protest at his school's uniform policy which bans shorts.

Chris's mum says she is proud he is fighting for what he believes in

Chris Whitehead says being made to wear long trousers in summer when girls can wear skirts is "discriminatory

Do you think it is discriminatory that boys can not wear shots but grils can wear skirts . To me I think it is you not not have one rule for girls and other for boys.:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    this guy has aspirations of becoming a politician...i do so hope that he makes it :D
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think who cares?

That boy's so going to get it from the other schoolboys!
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to that lad. He looks like he has a good head on his shoulders. Hope he isn't beaten up too badly at school by idiot bullies. He is after all doing it on their behalf and on that of other boys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite amusing actually seeing what the head teacher says. You can see that he rather admires the boy but has to keep a straight face. At least Chris Whitehead doesn't seem to be being bullied either by the other pupils or the teachers, which makes it rather a cheering story. :)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    good for him.
    it`s a stupid rule.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite amusing actually seeing what the head teacher says. You can see that he rather admires the boy but has to keep a straight face. At least Chris Whitehead doesn't seem to be being bullied either by the other pupils or the teachers, which makes it rather a cheering story. :)

The lad's clearly got testicles of steel. Everybody knows it's no good trying to bully him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he made a fantastic example.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys were made to wear shorts all year round (as I'm sure other fm's school's did) which was much crueler in the winter than wearing trousers in the summer.

He'll have to put up with hot sweaty suits if he becomes a politician, so may as well stick with the trousers to get used to it.

He should have worn a skort instead of a skirt :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    Chris Whitehead says being made to wear long trousers in summer when girls can wear skirts is "discriminatory

Do you think it is discriminatory that boys can not wear shots but grils can wear skirts . To me I think it is you not not have one rule for girls and other for boys.:mad:

Yes boys should obviously be allowed to wear shorts (smart ones of a certain length) if girls can wear skirts. But... girls would then want to be allowed to wear shorts too! And I wonder if buys are currently allowed to wear skirts as he has done?

I can't for the life of me see why boys would want to wear short trousers though, I couldn't wait to get out of them when we had to wear them at infant and primary school, way back when!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to this lad:D

I reckon his schoolmates will actually support him and they'll be no bullying.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's absolutely fantastic what he's doing and I really hope he can get the result he wants.

It's quite nice to see a positive story about youngsters like this in the mainstream media and I hope they continue.

I'd be immensely proud of him if he was my son.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think so too. The boy has a valid point and is sticking up for himself and the others. They do sell the black/gray school shorts-- why not let the boys wear them? They will still look smart and presentable.
    ETA: The placards and banners are hilarious! One said "What's wrong with my legs?" Genius.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Yes boys should obviously be allowed to wear shorts (smart ones of a certain length) if girls can wear skirts. But... girls would then want to be allowed to wear shorts too!

I can't for the life of me see why they'd want to though, I couldn't wait to get out of the short trousers we had to wear at infant and primary school way back when!

...sweaty nuts ?
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing new,when i was at school this type of protest was quite common in the 80s

Good on him though.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Bring back compulsory wearing of shorts to school in the winter which we had to wear in the eighties. He won't be moaning then!
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play to him. Normally, I see this sort of story and think it is just some poorly-disciplined kid wanting to be able to use his phone in class, or something liek that, but not in this case.

Ironically, he's 12, so he'll probably want to be nowhere near shorts in two years time. Will be interesting how the school react. I guess the initial rule was so they weren't constantly arguing about three-quarter length cargo pants etc., but if he wants to wear traditional 'school shorts' then why not ?
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How times change. When I started grammar school in 1964, we were'nt allowed to wear long trousers until the third year, had to wear shorts. I never understood that rule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    we never wore shorts past 9 then we went to "big school" and had to wear pants and skirts but we complained in the winter about us having to wear skirts in the snow and the head let us wear pants and then we never stopped when it came to summer and no on was arsed.
    fair play to the lad if its part of the uniform he should be able to wear it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him i suppose, but in life we can't always go around wearing what we want. I'd love to roll into work in shorts & a T shirt but unfortunately i have to wear a stuffy suit.

As someone else said, if they allow boys to wear shorts, no doubt a girl will complain that she can't wear shorts, etc etc.

He's a brave lad though, best of luck to him for his future political career.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    How times change. When I started grammar school in 1964, we were'nt allowed to wear long trousers until the third year, had to wear shorts. I never understood that rule.

That was probably a relic of WW2 (and post) regulations due to rationing. Surprised it lasted into the 60s though - pathetic pedantry to blame there.

I say let them wear whatever lenght of trousers at school whatever their age.

I used to think it unfair (in the 70s) that boys had to wear ties but girls didn't. This was enforced vigourously for a time but I don't recall wearing one from the 3rd year (aged 13) onwards and gradually the rule slipped and no boys wore one. We had an enlightened Headmaster who seemed to have the view that as long as you weren't outlandish and looked relatively smart no set uniform was required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to him
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    That was probably a relic of WW2 (and post) regulations due to rationing. Surprised it lasted into the 60s though - pathetic pedantry to blame there.

They did drop the rule in the late sixties. The more liberal attitudes of the sixties seemed to catch up with my school in 1969. They dropped the short trousers rule, and also let us 5th formers and above grow our hair long!.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Neither boys nor girls are allowed to wear shorts. He has decided to wear approved school uniform to school. The head has said so and has extended the offer to the other boys.

Fair enough. But hardly a protest.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Must say, I think this is a bit of a no-win situation for the school.

I doubt they've banned shorts simply out of spite.
    More likely that they've simply got written rules about acceptable school uniform and that shorts weren't on the list.

Let's face it, if the school was to just allow "shorts" then you just KNOW kids would be showing up in everything from speedo's to multi-coloured surf-shorts.

Sure, the school could try and specify exactly what sort of "shorts" are acceptable but then they'd end up being criticised for creating convoluted and pointless rules.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could have done what Scotch men do and worn a tartan skirt with a little hairy handbag as an excuse to cross-dress.