Options

Robin Galloway to join Heart SCOTLAND: Official

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    ledders wrote: »
    Well, if you look at it from another way, the likes of heart don't encourage creativity. It is essentially dull jukebox output.

I would have thought he would have more opportunity to use his personality where he is at the moment.

And given the fact that what he is currently doing is a Scotland wide show, would there be much difference on the money side? I doubt it very much.

Much more money and a bigger audience on fm. It's not hard to see why he picked Heart. Plus he's been a hit on that station before.

His old show was on am and on a network that is noy really delivering a huge audience. Jumping now to Heart is a smart move for him.
  • Options
    leddersledders Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Much more money and a bigger audience on fm. It's not hard to see why he picked Heart. Plus he's been a hit on that station before.

His old show was on am and on a network that is noy really delivering a huge audience. Jumping now to Heart is a smart move for him.

But I would have thought that he loves doing radio, and for that reason alone would steer well clear of heart. He has been on that frequency before, but heart will never be a patch on what Real Radio was.
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Is he still on Clyde 2, Forth 2 etc

Yes he is still there.

Well, if you look at it from another way, the likes of heart don't encourage creativity. It is essentially dull jukebox output.

I would have thought he would have more opportunity to use his personality where he is at the moment.

And given the fact that what he is currently doing is a Scotland wide show, would there be much difference on the money side? I doubt it very much.

He is a big personality, so I doubt Heart can reduce it.

OR is it possible Heart are looking at the figures which are going off a cliff and have released its English/London network money making scheme isn't working north off the border and so to stop big losses have drafted back in personality to win back people? I will be very surprised if he is not given a free hand to do what like feels like to get people tuning back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But I would have thought that he loves doing radio, and for that reason alone would steer well clear of heart. .

He probably also likes getting paid and very well paid too.

It's also possible that there's a bit of ego there and part of him may think he can be the saviour of the station.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 weeks ago when paddy mcgunness was networked to all bauer fm stations

Radio Borders didn't take Galloway Sunday as it had a local programme, Golden Sunday, in that slot instead - this also went as a result of the changes.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting news indeed. I always felt that Robin's style was too young for the AM network, and it probably jarred with the rest of the output and certainly what it replaced. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him there.

Got to feel sorry for Ewan at Heart, who stepped in at a difficult time for Real and seems to have done a very competent job at breakfast. I hope he finds another gig, difficult as that may be.

Heart Breakfast is certainly less monotonous than the networked output, and Robin will no doubt fit in well. Can he be a bit more female focused than on Real, and will he affect the RAJARs significantly... remains to be seen. He didn't ultimately perform any miracles for the AMers, though I'd say it's far more difficult for them to build an audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to Heart Scotland It seems female focused has gone out the window and its the RAJARs which have taken control. Heart has to get people back in.

WE TOLD YOU, and we said Heart wont work here in Scotland, yet all the nay sayers have yet to post etc. Heart have went running and signed Galloway back, if that does not prove Heart is needing a major change then I dont know what is.

I dare say come Thursday morning "23 OCTOBER 2014" Heart Scotland will be under 6%
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    When it comes to Heart Scotland It seems female focused has gone out the window and its the RAJARs which have taken control. Heart has to get people back in.

WE TOLD YOU, and we said Heart wont work here in Scotland, yet all the nay sayers have yet to post etc. Heart have went running and signed Galloway back, if that does not prove Heart is needing a major change then I dont know what is.

I dare say come Thursday morning "23 OCTOBER 2014" Heart Scotland will be under 6%

Is it a Heart issue or a long running issue with that licence? Certainly it's been up and down since Robin left and probably before that when Real stopped the big contests and the big marketing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heart Scotland sees some sort of loss in the Rajars (I doubt it'll be as low as 6% reach though) and getting Robin in is the result of internal tracking. I've longed suspected and said Scotland could be the hardest new market for Heart to crack.
  • Options
    dellboy70dellboy70 Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Is it possible that Ewen Cameron will join GHN on breakfast as a direct swap?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellboy70 wrote: »
    Is it possible that Ewen Cameron will join GHN on breakfast as a direct swap?

I doubt he'd be a big enough name.
    seiko456 wrote:

We'll see. It's still one male/one female, the same as previously and many other Heart breakfasts. I'm sure it'll still be very female/family targeted.

Who did GHN breakfast this morning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin, is still doing his show and it seems it will be the case for the whole week...

Will Hector Brocklebank be joining robin? OR Even Old Mrs Galloway, some of the thing there say make me laugh.

dpb wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Heart Scotland sees some sort of loss in the Rajars (I doubt it'll be as low as 6% reach though) and getting Robin in is the result of internal tracking. I've longed suspected and said Scotland could be the hardest new market for Heart to crack.

Its already at 6% with Q2.....
  • Options
    Dr BobbinsDr Bobbins Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Its already at 6% with Q2.....

Not it isn't... it's at 6% share. It's at 15% reach. Completely different things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Bobbins wrote: »
    Not it isn't... it's at 6% share. It's at 15% reach. Completely different things.

But does the 15% it reaches turn into people wanting to tune in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But does the 15% it reaches turn into people wanting to tune in?

It's too early to say. You need to look at the next 2 or 3 quarters to begin to have an idea. It takes time to build an audience and Heart will still be carrying the last book this time. If that was the bad one they need to wait another 3 month before they lose it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time to the ratings come out tomorrow ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time to the ratings come out tomorrow ?

00:01.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting news indeed. I always felt that Robin's style was too young for the AM network, and it probably jarred with the rest of the output and certainly what it replaced. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him there.

Got to feel sorry for Ewan at Heart, who stepped in at a difficult time for Real and seems to have done a very competent job at breakfast. I hope he finds another gig, difficult as that may be.

Heart Breakfast is certainly less monotonous than the networked output, and Robin will no doubt fit in well. Can he be a bit more female focused than on Real, and will he affect the RAJARs significantly... remains to be seen. He didn't ultimately perform any miracles for the AMers, though I'd say it's far more difficult for them to build an audience.

AM will be difficult for the stations to attract an extra audience on a standard analogue radio full stop. The reception of these stations is truly horrific.

But if you have a DAB set you are far more likely to listen to Clyde 2, Forth 2, Tay AM etc on DAB than on standard radio on 1548 or 1152, 1035 AM etc, or online via wifi or mobile sim if you have it.

If you only have a standard radio, you are more likely to listen to music stations on FM than on the horrid AM waveband.

Real quickly became very popular as much due to the music on it being on the crisper shaper FM reception (compared with Clyde 2, Tay AM, Forth 2 being only on AM at the time in the days before DAB became a major platform) as much as Robin Galloway's breakfast show on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    AM will be difficult for the stations to attract an extra audience on a standard analogue radio full stop. The reception of these stations is truly horrific.

But if you have a DAB set you are far more likely to listen to Clyde 2, Forth 2, Tay AM etc on DAB than on standard radio on 1548 or 1152, 1035 AM etc, or online via wifi or mobile sim if you have it.

If you only have a standard radio, you are more likely to listen to music stations on FM than on the horrid AM waveband.

Real quickly became very popular as much due to the music on it being on the crisper shaper FM reception (compared with Clyde 2, Tay AM, Forth 2 being only on AM at the time in the days before DAB became a major platform) as much as Robin Galloway's breakfast show on there.

I'd broadly agree with that. Attracting new listeners to the AM stations is tricky (impossible on analogue, and lots of competition on digital) and Smooth in Glasgow is serving that audience on FM very well (if with a largely English and less chatty proposition).

I'm really surprised Robin's still on GHN this week - pretty much unheard of in radio? I tuned in for half and hour or so this morning, sounded like business as usual. Old Mrs Galloway doing 'Pause for Thought', music much more modern than I remember from last time I tuned to Clyde 2. It sounded much like Real did 10 years ago, for better or worse.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd broadly agree with that. Attracting new listeners to the AM stations is tricky (impossible on analogue, and lots of competition on digital) and Smooth in Glasgow is serving that audience on FM very well (if with a largely English and less chatty proposition).

I'm really surprised Robin's still on GHN this week - pretty much unheard of in radio? I tuned in for half and hour or so this morning, sounded like business as usual. Old Mrs Galloway doing 'Pause for Thought', music much more modern than I remember from last time I tuned to Clyde 2. It sounded much like Real did 10 years ago, for better or worse.

I started listening to Clyde 2 about 9 months ago on DAB and have to say overall I am impressed with their choice of music. I used to think Clyde 2 was mainly old 60 music and Andy Williams, Perry Como. each day we get Queen and some othet middle of road rock tracks, Bad Company Fee,Lynyrd Skynrd as well as plenty of 70 and 80 music and even some current stuff a real good mix.

To be honest I think that a swap with Ewen and Robin would be good. I do enjoy both of them
  • Options
    MattTheManMattTheMan Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »

To be honest I think that a swap with Ewen and Robin would be good. I do enjoy both of them

...and just to throw a spanner in the works how about this as a suggestion.....a breakfast show on Clyde 2 from South of the Border???
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    MattTheMan wrote: »
    ...and just to throw a spanner in the works how about this as a suggestion.....a breakfast show on Clyde 2 from South of the Border???

That's an awful idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MattTheMan wrote: »

Maybe so - they have to do 10 hours a day from Scotland on weekdays but that is only within daytime (something in the interview on the Radio Today podcast they mentioned as keeping) so that could allow a networked three hour breakfast show (6-9am or 7-10am).

The question is who could do it?

Ironically it's such a show that I think Robin would have been a good choice for.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been listening to Robin in the mornings on the Scottish greatest hits AM network as I got Forth 2 set to wake me up in the mornings on my DAB radio. Work also been listening to him.
    Wonder who will replace him on the AM breakfast show.
    I have to se that Heart Scotland seems better than the old Real radio.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will admint one thing HEART Scotland will have a better ratings next quater, only because of Robin galloway.

Mark MY WORDS: the join between local and network 10am will be so clear....
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will admint one thing HEART Scotland will have a better ratings next quater, only because of Robin galloway.

Mark MY WORDS: the join between local and network 10am will be so clear....

You don't even know when he will be starting on Heart. As the next quarter reports from 14/9 to 14/12 there may not be much time "to make an impact".

Heart will be up next quarter with or without Galloway data. Why this irrational hatred of a radio station anyway?