Options

I have completed my tax return

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Its a relief. Its been sitting there staring at me for months and months and I get quite anxious about it and so put it off.

Last year I completed it 1 hour before the deadline, I got it in 11pm on 31st Jan.

Today, is a whole day earlier so a big achievement.

I hope they dont send me anymore as I no longer have any other earnings than PAYE but even though there wasnt much to complete on it, it causes me such a lot of anxiety and pressure so I just put it off.

Have you done yours?

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my husband's earlier and paid it. They dont get a penny of me any earlier than they need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did eventually learn not to do mine on the last day of January, because if your password doesn't work (which keeps happening) it takes a week to get a new one (they have to send it by post). By then you are well into the hundred quid zone.

So mine was done, paid, signed, sealed and delivered by January 15th this year. Woo hoo! It is my LEAST FAVOURITE JOB OF THE WHOLE YEAR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both very good points, although I then saw that if I had done it before the end of December, I could have paid my tax on my PAYE earnings during the rest of this tax year so it wouldnt be such a big lump sum to pay.

Yes I was really worried about the password as some months back I tried to get one of those pension forecasts and logged into the gov website and put in my online id and password and it wouldnt work. I thought it was the same password for all online government business? Then I meant to phone them to check out what had gone wrong, by the time I remembered this, it was around January and I was even too scared to log on in case the password was duff, I only did this earlier in the week, thankfully it worked.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My password was ok. It showed the last log in as 31st January 2014. I'm nothing if not consistent. Its been the same since I started doing it online half a dozen years ago.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did mine in April last year. I hate to have things laying around taunting me. I tend to think that if the tax man sees me do it early then he is more likely to think I am in financial control and less likely to be making it up. I may be wrong but I haven't had an audit yet.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an accountant to do mine, I'm in a partnership so he does the difficult bit of working out who got what etc. last year was fine, he didn't charge us much, but then that guy retired and sold out to a fancy firm with posh offices and they absolutely fleeced us>:( I'm talking nearly treble the amount the first guy charged! It was a weight off my mind knowing they were done!
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I start doing mine in October. My Companies House year end is November so it makes sense to do it all at the same time, and then I pay it in December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I did mine in April last year. I hate to have things laying around taunting me. I tend to think that if the tax man sees me do it early then he is more likely to think I am in financial control and less likely to be making it up. I may be wrong but I haven't had an audit yet.

:D Lol. I tend to think that if I do mine in January they are far too busy actually to look at it. I don't mean I lie, but it's a bit rough and ready in some places.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I've filed one at 23:55 on the 31st.

Usually I leave at least 30 minutes before the deadline.

:p
    tiacat wrote: »
    Its a relief. Its been sitting there staring at me for months and months and I get quite anxious about it and so put it off.

Last year I completed it 1 hour before the deadline, I got it in 11pm on 31st Jan.

Today, is a whole day earlier so a big achievement.

I hope they dont send me anymore as I no longer have any other earnings than PAYE but even though there wasnt much to complete on it, it causes me such a lot of anxiety and pressure so I just put it off.

Have you done yours?

No.

It will be completed tomorrow. I like filling them in when I am drunk, so tomorrow evening it is then.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Thank God I saw this thread! I had everything all ready to file, but I forgot we were so close to the deadline. Took me a while to find my log-in ID, but that's me completed it now.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I filed my return last week and paid it today. Sickening to give the Revenue thousands of pounds in a lump sum like that, but it has to be done.

OP, what were you anxious about? Have you been fiddling the books?
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Should it still invite to submit it even though I already have done? Or does that mean it didn't go through properly?
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Should it still invite to submit it even though I already have done? Or does that mean it didn't go through properly?

I'm sure that updates pretty instantly - they usually take a couple of days to receive it though. If it says you haven't submitted it, I suggest you resubmit.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always start out with the best of intentions, but don't usually get a P60 until June or even July, and banks seem to take their own sweet time sending out the end-of-year statements. Usually end up doing it around mid-January.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I hate this time of year - I am doing some consultancy work in a payroll department and have had to pitch in to help answer all the queries of people who have left this to the last minute and lost their P60s or don't understand what their tax code does etc.
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished it a couple of days ago, it took me two hours although half an hour of that was waiting on telephone support. Eventually online form fixed itself after some saving and backsteps so didn't need them. Form was bizarrely treating all buttons on screen as the "would you like to delete this page" button!

I find the share dealing inputs for cgt to be the most tiresome. No facility for multiple dates and prices of a single share to be input and dealing and stamp duty have to be extricated making the process more cumbersome than it needs to be.

If you submit your return early in the financial year, say end of May, do you get to 31 January the following year to pay any tax due?

Not saying I would be that prompt but would be nice to know! As I say 90 mins for me usually gets it done and dusted anyway.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    fancy doing my VAT return OP :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    openarms wrote: »
    Finished it a couple of days ago, it took me two hours although half an hour of that was waiting on telephone support. Eventually online form fixed itself after some saving and backsteps so didn't need them. Form was bizarrely treating all buttons on screen as the "would you like to delete this page" button!

I find the share dealing inputs for cgt to be the most tiresome. No facility for multiple dates and prices of a single share to be input and dealing and stamp duty have to be extricated making the process more cumbersome than it needs to be.

If you submit your return early in the financial year, say end of May, do you get to 31 January the following year to pay any tax due?

Not saying I would be that prompt but would be nice to know! As I say 90 mins for me usually gets it done and dusted anyway.

Yes, you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes, you do.

Makes sense not to punish the early birds I guess.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    openarms wrote: »
    Makes sense not to punish the early birds I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Interestingly HMRC can choose not to give you back a refund though, but take it off your next year's bill. I guess they have all the power in the relationship :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Interestingly HMRC can choose not to give you back a refund though, but take it off your next year's bill. I guess they have all the power in the relationship :D

One rule for money coming in and another for money going out. There's a surprise :D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to do mine within a few days of receiving it.......I hate having 'to do' things lying around

my affairs are quite simple so it only takes me 10 minutes........don't really see the point of having it sat on my desk for months

They usually send the tax bill in December and I usually pay that straightaway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister used to work in a tax office, and at the end of January they would literally have people turning up at the office with boxes of receipts and trying to hand them over the counter for someone to sort out.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you a time traveller, submitted at 11pm on 31st, today is only 30th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I filed my return last week and paid it today. Sickening to give the Revenue thousands of pounds in a lump sum like that, but it has to be done.

OP, what were you anxious about? Have you been fiddling the books?

No! Theres no books to fiddle. I am full time employed by an employer so I just put the p60 details in, I have a little bit of extra expenses to claim my mileage allowance relief and then this year, all I had was one payment from a previous period of self employment (the expenses for that piece of work was in an older year but they didnt pay me until this filing tax year)

I dont know why it makes me anxious, I can be a bit like that about 'paperwork' in general. I have a letter of complaint to make about an outpatient service who have discharged me back to my GP after 'failed' appointments which I had to rearrange as I was already in hospital. The letter is sitting here and I need to get on with it but I just put it off and off.