Options

The notion rugby is a mans game.

BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
Forum Member
✭✭✭
a bunch shrek looking guys rolling around tugging on each other body parts.

Public school boy game for the privileged.

Comments

• Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rugby league is a very tough sport - not quite sure about the footie. :D

http://gamevip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/320sw4593sw9.gif
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    *snort* :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

No it isn't.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just a man's game, women's rugby is one of the fastest growing UK sports.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find something strangely sexy about rugby, I think it's all that body contact and grunting.

And the players often have lovely legs.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

I played Rugby (league) at school and then on for a local side until I was 27. The lads I played with were all rough, tough, working class Wiganers. Nothing public schoolboy about any of them.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I played Rugby (league) at school and then on for a local side until I was 27. The lads I played with were all rough, tough, working class Wiganers. Nothing public schoolboy about any of them.

And try telling the Welsh, or the Scots, that Rugby union is for posh gits:D it's equally untrue in England. League, for sure, is for our more northern hard men, though increasingly, players cross from one to the other, to the benefit of both.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Blimey, did you actually go to school?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt. Rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending not to be.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Blimey, did you actually go to school?

One where knitting was a sport, I sadly fear:D
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I definitely think that rugby is more of a mans game than football is. Although admittedly football was definitely different years ago. I doubt you would have seen men running out on the pitch wearing an alice band!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt. Rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending not to be.

What about the coaches? Joe Schmidt sat through Ireland's win over Australia with appendicitis!

Being devil's advocate here though, Dietmar Hamann played a good chunk of the Champions League final with a broken toe, even taking a penalty.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »

:D Not far from the truth that.

i used to watch football and i couldn't get into rugby at all (watching on TV) until my husband took me to a match. Oh my days. Soft, they are not. That sound of them thwumpng into eachother and hitting the ground like tanks. :o How they do not shatter bones i do not know.

I was gripped. Now i can't watch football. Not wanting to turn it into a football vs rugby thing - each to their own and all that - but, for me personally, football seems so dull by comparison. A lot of fannying with the ball with the occasional sprint to break the monotony.

I found myself getting distracted during football, contemplating if it would be wrong to have a third pie, or getting increasingly annoyed by the obligatory fat bloke behind me, steadfastly shouting advice that the players were never going to take on board. Basically, biding my time until it was over and i could leave and go to the pub, so now i just don't watch.

Rugby, now that is exciting. Grips me and keeps me away from the pies. Love it. But maybe that's the barbarian in me. :blush:
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Football, a gentlemans game played by hooligans ,

Rugby, a hooligans game played by gentleman.......allegedly.

I never watch football but watch all the Rugby internationals .

Will be watching Scotland and France later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Not far from the truth that.

i used to watch football and i couldn't get into rugby at all (watching on TV) until my husband took me to a match. Oh my days. Soft, they are not. That sound of them thwumpng into eachother and hitting the ground like tanks. :o How they do not shatter bones i do not know.

I was gripped. Now i can't watch football. Not wanting to turn it into a football vs rugby thing - each to their own and all that - but, for me personally, football seems so dull by comparison. A lot of fannying with the ball with the occasional sprint to break the monotony.

I found myself getting distracted during football, contemplating if it would be wrong to have a third pie, or getting increasingly annoyed by the obligatory fat bloke behind me, steadfastly shouting advice that the players were never going to take on board. Basically, biding my time until it was over and i could leave and go to the pub, so now i just don't watch.

Rugby, now that is exciting. Grips me and keeps me away from the pies. Love it. But maybe that's the barbarian in me. :blush:
    That's exactly how I feel about it all. I'll take an interest if Spurs are playing, but that's about it. Rugby Union, by and large, is action from start to finish. One of those 'oh I can't watch but I don't want to miss it' games! My dad and brother were massive footy fans, but as I moved out of home, and the circle of friends I made, rugby was more the game. And I love it. Six Nations is one of the best sporting tournaments in the world IMO.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh I LOVE rugby, and I fancy rugby players something rotten, a throwback from my school days I think :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The rivalry between rugby team supporters is always good natured too.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The rivalry between rugby team supporters is always good natured too.

This is true. On the field as well. There is a respect of sorts.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Oooh I LOVE rugby, and I fancy rugby players something rotten, a throwback from my school days I think :blush:

My work colleague plays rugby in his spare time, I think the first day I started my first thoughts in my sleep addled brain were "bloody hell he's fit!"

Unfortunately for every Tommy Bowe though there's a Leo Cullen.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speak for yourself, as a gay man, I've had many a good wank sessions after watching a game and sometimes during!;)
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with rugby union is that , similarly to American football there are too many stoppages and moments where **** all is actuallky happening . Compare that to football where it's pretty much non stop action (unless of course there's a serious injury ) and you can see why football is so much more popular . Having said that I don't mind rugby league at all as it's quite fast paced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    This is true. On the field as well. There is a respect of sorts.

True. I have happy memories of (back when they were actually good :D) being on the train down to Wembley to watch Wigan in their Challenge Cup Final matches, and there would be an even mix of rival supporters, and even coming back after one team had lost, the banter and chat was always really fun and friendly. Families and kids enjoying it. Great times.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    The problem with rugby union is that , similarly to American football there are too many stoppages and moments where **** all is actuallky happening . Compare that to football where it's pretty much non stop action (unless of course there's a serious injury ) and you can see why football is so much more popular . Having said that I don't mind rugby league at all as it's quite fast paced.

A serious injury? :o

Sorry! Had to laugh at that one! :D