Do modern and router need to be left ALWAYS on with Fibre?

pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
For example the white open reach modem and the black ISP wireless router, do they BOTH need to be left on or is it just the white modem and wireless router can be switched off ?
I'm ever so confused .

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd leave the modem on.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave them both on, your ISP (or BT Openreach), regularly do line tests their end. So if router or modem are switched off, they are likely to think there is something wrong with the line, and slow it down.
  • pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Leave them both on, your ISP (or BT Openreach), regularly do line tests their end. So if router or modem are switched off, they are likely to think there is something wrong with the line, and slow it down.

this is where im confused. isnt it just the openreach MODEM which is connected to the cabinet on the road, and the router just allows the wireless signal and internet connection?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    this is where im confused. isnt it just the openreach MODEM which is connected to the cabinet on the road, and the router just allows the wireless signal and internet connection?

The modem should stay on all the time, the router you can siwtch off, but no point, but some providers like BT, Sky and Talk Talk may try to update the router and if it is switch off, they can not do that.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only turn off my monitor and let the rest run in the background
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My computer is normally put into sleep mode if not needed, if I remember.
  • BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have an openreach modem connected then a router, then you need to at least keep on the modem. The router could be turned off. Though unless you're really struggling on your electric bills I see no point as both devices are designed to only draw little power.

If you have a router/modem combined, one unit, then this needs to be left on always.

Its the modem bit that needs to be left on above anything else.

Turning your seperate router off and on, while it shouldnt cause any problems, ya know what technology is like! lol.. its best that when everything is working to how you like, don't touch it! :)