Options

Archos 605- Plug ins-Help pls!?

Hi,

I have purchased an Archos 605 player thingy for a present for my bf for Christmas. I want to download the latest updates and wifi plugs in etc.

What do you actually need to download as its confussing me,lol!!

Want to be able to surf the net, watch dvds and files that he will upload to it from the PC. Do i just need the internet plug in and the cinema plug in to do this??

Any help will be great as I need to wrap it up and hide it before he goes snoooping (yes he's worse than a small child!!)

Sam x x :) x x

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Sam...

You will need to go to the Archos website first and register in order to receive firmware upgrades and purchase plug ins, so you will be best to do it in your boyfriends name etc and store the details so he can do it himself in future.

http://www.archos.com/register/registration.html?country=gb&lang=en

The plug ins are purchased and paid for via the website, and you will recieve info on how to download them via email soon after purchasing. It is quite easy to do as long as you follow the instructions very carefully.

You will need to unpack the Archos very carefully as you will need the USB cable to connect it to your PC during the update process, so make sure he is well out of snooping distance!

Hope this helps a bit;)

PS upgrade the firmware first, then install the plug ins
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Thats a great help, thanks Joleen1.

was going to download the internet plug in thing and the cinema one. does anyone know if this is enough to use the player thing properly? I dont really know much about it apart from its supposed to be good!!!

Thanks Sam x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Archos 605 can already play a number of file formats out of the box; the other media plugins are only for different formats. I think it already plays Divx/Xvid in an AVI container. The cinema plugin adds MPEG1 and 2. The podcast plugin adds an array of codecs and containers such as Quicktime and MPEG4.

You're probably better off leaving him to purchase these himself as he may decide he doesn't need them, though if you want to play ripped DVD's without converting, you'll need the cinema plugin.

Been looking at this piece of kit - most notable for being able to play back HD on a TV (with the proper cradle). You're biggest problem is that the first charge can take two days (and shouldn't be interrupted), because Archos don't give you a proper charger, only a USB cable. Third party chargers are quite easily available on Amazon, and are probably worth getting.
  • Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipM wrote: »
    You're biggest problem is that the first charge can take two days (and shouldn't be interrupted), because Archos don't give you a proper charger, only a USB cable. Third party chargers are quite easily available on Amazon, and are probably worth getting.

You are not wrong there. I brought a standard USB charger like this which really reduces the charging time to something that approaches being acceptable.

As for the plugins joleen1, I would not bother with them at the moment, wait till xmas day and then your boyfriend can get the 1's that he needs as there is no refund if he does not need them. But if you do want to purchase them before hand make sure that the Archos is fully charged before you install them.

The latest firmware for the 605 can be gotten from here. Make sure that you select the correct firmware, as there is a difference between the 4GB Flash model and the other versions of the 605.

It's very easy to update the firmware as long as you follows the instructions. The plugins are also easy to install.

1 word of advice don't buy the games that are available for the 605, as there are far better free games available on the web.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Padre, it was samc80 who asked the original question, not me;)

Having said that , I do have a question if thats ok..:o, you mentioned that you can play free web games so I was just wondering if you can download these to play offline?

I did pay for the Archos games and they are ok, if a bit basic, but didn't realise you could get others for free...d'ohhh.

I noticed the Widgets section now has a flash folder so can they be saved in here? If so how do I go about it?

Thanks..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joleen1 wrote: »
    Hi Padre, it was samc80 who asked the original question, not me;)

Having said that , I do have a question if thats ok..:o, you mentioned that you can play free web games so I was just wondering if you can download these to play offline?

I did pay for the Archos games and they are ok, if a bit basic, but didn't realise you could get others for free...d'ohhh.

I noticed the Widgets section now has a flash folder so can they be saved in here? If so how do I go about it?

Thanks..:)

oops I apologise to yourself and samc80 for mixing you up, that's what I get for trying to post in a rush before leaving for work..

Yes you are correct both counts, you can download them and that is what the flash folder is for :)

As for compatible games, its a case of try them and see. You need to be able to save them to your computer and then transfer them over to the Archos. Loads can be found here. Trial and error will tell you which will work/be playable on the Archos.

if you use Firefox to browse the web, there are many plug-ins that will allow you to save the flash games to your computer.

These also work and apparently work well, although I haver not tried them myself.

Gold Miner
    Disc Elimination
    Solitaire
    Chinese Checkers

if the games do not show up in the Flash part of the Widgets then you can browse to them using file Explorer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your help guys. Definatley going to get a charger and the internet plug in because I know he will want that .One thing I wanted to double check. To put a DVD from my PC straight onto the Archos do i need the cinema plug in?? I know im being a bit of a girl but I dont get these things!!!! Im happy with my little cute green ipod and anything more complicated goes over my head :D

Thank you!!!

He best like it after all this!!!

Sam x
  • Options
    JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samc80 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help guys. Definatley going to get a charger and the internet plug in because I know he will want that .One thing I wanted to double check. To put a DVD from my PC straight onto the Archos do i need the cinema plug in?? I know im being a bit of a girl but I dont get these things!!!! Im happy with my little cute green ipod and anything more complicated goes over my head :D

Thank you!!!

He best like it after all this!!!

Sam x
    PhilipM wrote: »
    The Archos 605 can already play a number of file formats out of the box; the other media plugins are only for different formats. I think it already plays Divx/Xvid in an AVI container. The cinema plugin adds MPEG1 and 2. The podcast plugin adds an array of codecs and containers such as Quicktime and MPEG4.

You're probably better off leaving him to purchase these himself as he may decide he doesn't need them, though if you want to play ripped DVD's without converting, you'll need the cinema plugin.

Been looking at this piece of kit - most notable for being able to play back HD on a TV (with the proper cradle). You're biggest problem is that the first charge can take two days (and shouldn't be interrupted), because Archos don't give you a proper charger, only a USB cable. Third party chargers are quite easily available on Amazon, and are probably worth getting.

If your bf knows what hes doing he'll likley convert them to divx/xvid to save space but yes you will need the cinema plug-in if you're ripping them straight from dvd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Jelite wrote: »
    If your bf knows what hes doing he'll likley convert them to divx/xvid to save space but yes you will need the cinema plug-in if you're ripping them straight from dvd.

Not 100% sure but I have a feeling it won't decode AC3 (5.1) sound in compressed video files without the cinema plugin either?

If your BF knows his way round video (ie. downloads a lot) then that will/should mean something to him .....
  • Options
    JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point, even more reason to get it then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you're all so helpful , that im gonna ask one more thing. i promise i will vanish after this and go back to reading about the soaps which is my reason for this website anyway! :D

can i buy any mains charger from amazon or ebay etc as everyone says I will need one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-MAINS-AC-CHARGER-for-ARCHOS-404-504-604-704-605-705_W0QQitemZ120192667619QQihZ002QQcategoryZ86541QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only reason I ask, some of them say to check your device first but I dont know!

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samc80 wrote: »
    you're all so helpful , that im gonna ask one more thing. i promise i will vanish after this and go back to reading about the soaps which is my reason for this website anyway! :D

can i buy any mains charger from amazon or ebay etc as everyone says I will need one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-MAINS-AC-CHARGER-for-ARCHOS-404-504-604-704-605-705_W0QQitemZ120192667619QQihZ002QQcategoryZ86541QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only reason I ask, some of them say to check your device first but I dont know!

:D:D:D:D

Just about any standard USB mains charger will do the job, but if you can get a 1500 or 2000mA as this will reduce the charging time dramatically. 500mA are pretty pointless tbh as this is what a computer puts out on a USB port
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Padre wrote: »
    Just about any standard USB mains charger will do the job, but if you can get a 1500 or 2000mA as this will reduce the charging time dramatically. 500mA are pretty pointless tbh as this is what a computer puts out on a USB port

That is one of my very few niggles that I have with my Archos, the fact that you cannot get a proprietary mains charger. I would have liked the option of charging it directly without using a dock or usb cable.

Although I was lucky enough to get mine in a bundle with both the battery dock and DVR station, it would be nice to be able to charge it from the mains direct with the minimum of faff...:(

I have seen one for the car here http://www.mp3extras.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/79?osCsid=527170caae90c694fbf12a63fe69a661 but have yet to see a mains one...

PS thanks for the tip re the games Padre, I did see something similar on the Archosfans forum but they do tend to foray a bit too far into tech speak over there for my liking..:o
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the web plug-in allows you to play internet radio streams?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the previous post's, been great help.

I to have just receieved an Archos 605 Wi-Fi 40GB for my birthday and am looking to download the Cinema & Web Browser plug-ins.

The question i have is whether or not the plug-ins are universal?

For example if i go on archos.com and select my country as the United States and pay for my Plugin in US dollars will i get an American version of the web browser/cinema plug in that is not compatable with my archos?

I was orginally going to pay the 30 euro's for the UK version but because of the exchange rate with US dollars at the moment i would much rather pay in Dollars as it means i can get all 3 archos plugins for the price of 2!

Maybe i'm being a bit stupid looking into it that much but i didn't want to download the wrong thing.

Any help would be great

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I don't think it'll let you buy from the US store.

I'm sure someone else posted up on here that they'd tried it and it just re-directed them to the European one. I think that card you're paying with has to be registered in the US for it to work ....

*** EDIT ***

Yup .... about six posts down:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=714751
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Damn it, thought i'd come up with a money saver there!

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated!

Merry Christmas to all