Options

My cat died last night - devastated!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happened to me seven years ago when our Sooty had to be put to sleep at 19 years of age. What we did was go down to the RSPCA and adopt a kitten who had been abandoned
    It was the best thing we did he has brought so much happiness in our lives best thing we ever did..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    OGB wrote: »
    I wish I had asked the vet if he could come home for the weekend and then I could have taken him back on Tuesday. He wasn't in pain and then I could have had time to come to terms with it all. That's so selfish but I feel so guilty about him just going like that, never to return to his home. It all happened so quickly. I picked him up and put him in his cat basket and took him to the vets. An hour later I have to deal with the news of how ill he is, that it's inoperable and then I'm holding him while he dies. Then I'm back home without him. I feel really numb and empty and wish he was still here. Another sleepless tearful night.

Aww try not to feel guilty about anything at all- you did everything you could with his best interests at heart. I really do think it's so wonderful that you held him when it happened- your arms will be the last thing that he was conscious of before he fell asleep, and you mentioned that you were keeping up the appearance of being happy and normal for him. I applaud you, I really do- what a difficult thing to do.

I wonder if maybe it's best that it happened the way it did in terms of it being over fairly quickly... It's a huge shock, but imagine what this weekend would have been like had you known what was going to happen on Tuesday. It would have been awful, and I'm certain that your moggy would have picked up that something wasn't right.

Big huge hugs again- thinking about you.
  • Options
    shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Billy 577 wrote: »
    That happened to me seven years ago when our Sooty had to be put to sleep at 19 years of age. What we did was go down to the RSPCA and adopt a kitten who had been abandoned
    It was the best thing we did he has brought so much happiness in our lives best thing we ever did..

Aw my Sooty was 19 when she was pts :(, she was the first of my four elderly cats to go. I lost them all within two years :( I still miss them I loved them so much :cry:, but I love my cheeky youngsters :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat was put to sleep due to age related illness in 1993. It was horrible knowing we wouldn't see her again. We had her for 9 years and definitely part of our family.

After a while, when the initial pain has gone, you will remember the happy times you had with him.

My son has another cat now but will never forget our first one. Your other cat will be a huge comfort to you.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

I find this poem very moving
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Simon, I am so so sorry. Thank you for posting. I completely understand.

I wish I had asked the vet if he could come home for the weekend and then I could have taken him back on Tuesday. He wasn't in pain and then I could have had time to come to terms with it all. That's so selfish but I feel so guilty about him just going like that, never to return to his home. It all happened so quickly. I picked him up and put him in his cat basket and took him to the vets. An hour later I have to deal with the news of how ill he is, that it's inoperable and then I'm holding him while he dies. Then I'm back home without him. I feel really numb and empty and wish he was still here. Another sleepless tearful night.
    My best wishes to you and Simon.

It is the hardest part of having pets, but OGB you did your best and the last thing your buddy knew was being with you. Another few days would not have made any difference to him. The injection has a sedative, they just fade out. Believe me, that has been a great consolation over the years as I have lost other cats and dogs, always I have been there with them, along with my sons, they insisted as they were teens when we next lost our cat and dog.

I lost my first Siamese cat when she was 13 in a similar rushed way, one minute she was watching me prepare a meal from the top of the fridge, then she was fitting on the floor, rush to vets, home 2 hours later minus Mitzi. I asked the vet if I could take her home for a while, he asked me who would that benefit? She was not going to get better.

Grieve and remember the good times. The best tribute to your lost friend will be to give a loving home to another cat, in time, when you feel ready. Each pet has their own place in your heart, always.
  • Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    OGB, you're right - they are part of the family. The last pet I had was a cockatiel a few years ago and when she died I felt truly dreadful. Guilty, even though I know we did our best for her.

I told myself after she died that the pain I was going through would be worth it as she had brought so much joy to our lives whilst she was with us. Memories that can't be taken away.

Please don't keep your tears in - release them. It's the price we pay, I'm afraid for letting them get so close to our hearts. I look back at the pets I lost and believe me, the pain was worth it (although it doesn't feel like it at the time of the loss) as they brought so much pleasure whilst they were alive.

(((((OGB)))))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    What I would say about this thread is that is renewing my faith in people a bit with all your understanding and kind words.
    It's easy to believe that everyone is like a Big Brother contestant these days - selfish, shallow and greedy but this shows there are still some genuinely nice people out there with empathy for others. Thank you.
    I told my wife about this thread and she's touched too and will read it when she feels a bit better.
    I dug Figgy's grave this morning and I can't say I'm looking forward to saying a final goodbye later.

Simon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ((((OGB)))) I really do feel for you when we lost our last cat we both swore no more pets then about 3 yrs ago my partner got really bad depression as it was her birthday i phoned the local pet shop to see if anyone had kittens advertised one ad was placed that morning i phoned the man said he is 13 weeks old he has a cold but we took him to the vet and it isn't cat flu had i been rational i would not have even gone to see him but i did i got there and he was so tiny he was runt of the litter mum had disowned him the jack russell carried him everywhere i picked him up he sat in the palm of my hand my head was saying no dont he has a cold 10 mins later and £40 lighter me and cat were on way home i gave him to my other half who named him oscar and it suits our boy he is now 3 and a half we took him to our vet he was very underweight and bad news it was indeed cat flu for 4 weeks he just laid on my partners chest only leaving to eat and litter tray he still has the cat flu and always will i use baby wipes on his nose and he costs me a fortune he now has to have special cat food from the vet as he does drop weight quite quickly so he has to be monitored and our vet has warned us he probably won't have a normal lifespan and that i dread he was in the vets for a weekend recently due to dehydration and we were wrecks there will never be another ossie

http://s342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/nettiegill/?action=view&current=n583708619_268571_8747.jpg

and as if ossie was not enough i now have 5 guinea pigs too all boys and i love them all so much sorry for the long post but once i started it just happened x
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :'|

This thread bought a tear to my eye and I'm more of a dog person :( I even cried over a dog that wasn't mine but a friends (she got run over), We've lost dogs in the past & there's not a day go by I just wish I could see them again.

They never leave you, They'll always be in your heart, All the good times you shared together. Just think of those. Damn here comes the water works.. (I know it's silly for a man to cry, But I value pets lives as much as my own)

I'm sorry OP.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Simon WS wrote: »
    What I would say about this thread is that is renewing my faith in people a bit with all your understanding and kind words.
    It's easy to believe that everyone is like a Big Brother contestant these days - selfish, shallow and greedy but this shows there are still some genuinely nice people out there with empathy for others. Thank you.
    I told my wife about this thread and she's touched too and will read it when she feels a bit better.
    I dug Figgy's grave this morning and I can't say I'm looking forward to saying a final goodbye later.

Simon

(((((Simon and Simon's wife))))))
    All this sadness is a high price to pay for sharing a life with a furry friend, but it is so worth the price for the happiness they bring.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bless you my sincere condolences at this diffucult time
  • Options
    N-I-C-KN-I-C-K Posts: 3,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat of 12 years died about 3 months ago... it was all a bit sudden.

One night I heard her making a funny weasing sound, but put it down to hair balls because she used to wash her self all the time. In the morning I was looking round the house for her, looked under my bed and she lay there, eyes open - she had died under my bed while I was fast asleep. I broke down in tears and didn't know what to do. The more I looked at her the more upset I got. So I wrapped her in a old blanket and put her inside a cardboard box and sealed it up.

The box sat in the middle of my bedroom floor for 2 days, I just didn't have the energy to bury her because I was so numb.

Anyway I thought enough's enough... I dug a grave at the end of my garden and put her to rest. One thing I highly regret was not taking her collar off and keeping it.

For about 2 weeks I was in grief... until I told myself SHE had a good life (she was a stray you see and I took her in) and that people always say Animals know when they are going to die and the fact she wanted to go under my bed near me gave me a good feeling. Natural deaths are better then Man Made Ones... to put it another way at least she didn't get run over and died in a gutter some where or get stoned to death by some drunken yobs.

I lost a dog of about 15 years about 4 years ago and that was sudden as well. One minute he was OK and the next we were in the Vets putting him to sleep. One night he started having FITS and by the next morning he was having them every 10 minutes.

I would never ever ever have anymore pets. For one I could never replace either my dog or cat and for two it's just too upsetting when anything happens to them.

My nan and grandad are the complete opposite. When one pet dies they go straight out and buy another one and even call it the same name.
  • Options
    f1honeybunnyf1honeybunny Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    After 13 years, my best buddy got put to sleep at the vet last night because he had an inoperable cancerous tumour on his liver (lymphoma).

I took him in because I just sensed he really wasn't right. The vet said that he wasn't in pain but there was nothing she could do. He was a total legend and so loving I'm lost without him. I have another cat who has a totally different personality who seems ok at the moment but I will be making a fuss of her just in case she does miss him.

We spent some time together at the vets where he just looked at me while I apologised to him and told him that I loved him very much. I then held him and spoke to him while they shaved his little paw and then he got his injection. He looked at me all the time and then he went very quickly. I used one of his paws to cover his eyes like he usually did when he was trying to sleep with the lights on and then left him.

I don't want the phone to ring because I can't hold it together to speak to anyone coherently. None of my friends are pet owners so they'll probably think I'm being stupid and I don't want to hear any harsh comments. I don't value animal life over human life or other tragedies, but he was definitely a family member to me. I knew he'd go one day but to have 2 cats at 7pm and then watch one die and have 1 cat at 9pm after 13 years is all a bit too much.

I was back home within 2 hours with an empty cat basket and without him. I'm totally devastated but am trying to suck it up. I've got a huge headache and I'm in a total state.

Iam so sorry to read of your loss loosing a pet is just like loosing a member of your family my thoughts are with you at this sad time think of the good times the pain now is raw it will get better have you gone onto a rip pet website to leave a message that could help.
    when my last cat died i got a kitten the next day i could focus on it to get over my loss!

i am again so sorry bless!
    lara xx
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bless you my sincere condolences at this diffucult time

Seconded OGB, I hope the good memories will lessen your sudden loss soon.
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    I'm exhausted, I'm numb and I feel so sick. My mind is jumping about all over the place about my other cat. On one level I know she's as healthy and feisty as anything, but I just want to take her to the vet to get her checked out. Thing is, my whole stomach turns over when I think about it because I am now really worried they might find something undetected wrong with her. She's a big unit and I checked her teeth (which wasn't appreciated!) and eyes which both look healthy.

I don't want to put her through the trauma of getting her into a basket and driving her to the vets for my own selfish reasons. Getting her into the basket will be a feat in itself - she's a slippery little thing (half a smile) She hates the car and won't appreciate all the different smells and sounds at the vets. I also don't want to be selfish and not take her because of my own fears.

What if it happens again and I have to come home for the second time in days without a cat and an empty basket?? I would never ever do anything that wasn't in her best interests but I don't know what to do. It most certainly isn't an emergency so I would have to wait until Tuesday morning anyway.

I don't know if she's missing him. She's been her usual vocal playful self and I've been giving her treats and a lot of attention - which she has been quite indignant about (another half a smile). She's 12 and arrived a year after Buddy so she's only ever known living with us. I think they tolerated each other but you just never know. I will be monitoring her closely in the coming days and weeks just in case she does start to grieve for him. I haven't seen her looking around trying to find him... yet. If it is at all possible I think what's left of my heart will break just a little bit more if I see that.

Oh I miss him so much it hurts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Only you can decide what to do about your second car OGB, but I'd be inclined to only go to a vet when you really need to - just enjoy her and make the most of her life and your own.

Just cuddle the hell out of her (if she'll let you!)

Figgy's burial went as well as possible earlier on today - the rain stopped and the sun came out and we laid him to rest in our garden so we can say hello to him every day.

With love,

Simon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless you all. The ability to love and to show love to each other and to our furry friends is what binds us all together and renews my faith in humanity.
  • Options
    Dave 162Dave 162 Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    OGB
    I am very sorry to hear of your loss.. :(
    My lil beloved puss Lucy who was 26 yrs old died last xmas , I was heartbroken had to go sick from work for a week , I was in bits ,
    End of feb this year I decided to get a rescue cat from RSPCA, I got a lovely older girl who is so loving just as Lucy was ...
    I have still got Lucys old fur collar an some lovely photos ,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simon WS wrote: »
    Only you can decide what to do about your second car OGB, but I'd be inclined to only go to a vet when you really need to - just enjoy her and make the most of her life and your own.

Just cuddle the hell out of her (if she'll let you!)

Figgy's burial went as well as possible earlier on today - the rain stopped and the sun came out and we laid him to rest in our garden so we can say hello to him every day.

With love,

Simon

Oh Simon! I know you said that you were a dog person, but that must have been really hard for you to do and equally hard for you to see your wife so upset. I'm really thinking of you. I'm a bit of a zombie at the moment but if you can draw a bit of strength from knowing that you are not alone in your grief, please do. I'm thinking of you both. xxx

I haven't spoken to anyone since this happened on Friday, except all the really kind people who have posted here. I know I've said it before but thank you all so much for understanding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trouble is a lot of people don't understand when it's a pet but i know with us ossie is like our baby and though we know he won't live mega long we just don't talk about it we have agreed when he does we are going to have him cremated as i was told of a scheme where you can have them cremated and then when you go have them put in with you we decided thats what we want to do
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Simon! I know you said that you were a dog person, but that must have been really hard for you to do and equally hard for you to see your wife so upset. I'm really thinking of you. I'm a bit of a zombie at the moment but if you can draw a bit of strength from knowing that you are not alone in your grief, please do. I'm thinking of you both. xxx

I haven't spoken to anyone since this happened on Friday, except all the really kind people who have posted here. I know I've said it before but thank you all so much for understanding.
    It will get easier, in time, but it will take time, so let yourself grieve.

My best mate (Siamese Cat) was run over and killed in May, leaving his sister. Me and my wife were so devastated, that we switched off all phones, locked the doors and didn't go to work for 3 days. We needed time to grieve together.

I couldn't bare to look at photo's of him for several weeks afterwards, the pain was too much to bare - but now I look back with fond memories (and a little pain), but it does get easier with time.

We now have a new kitten for his sister and, although that hasn't replaced him, it has helped her cope (she became very withdrawn and visably upset straight after the accident) - and it's also helped us nuture a new life - but we needed time before we could contemplate it.

Allow yourself to go through your emotions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this thread brings back sad memories of my Wuss. He was a Ragdoll cat and he was my other half. I was devastated when I lost him, aged only 11, to a tumour, like you OP, I took him to the vets because he just 'wasn't quite right', and a couple of days later, he was pts. I was with him for at least an hour, just holding him and crying all over him. I couldn't be there at the end because I just couldn't cope with it. In the mornings, I howled when I woke up and he wasn't with me, it hit me so hard.

I haven't stayed for the final injection with any of my cats, I can't bear to do it.

I still miss Wuss terribly, and it was over 2 years ago now. I've got a lot of cats, but there will never be another one that loved me like he did.
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm exhausted, I'm numb and I feel so sick.
    [....]

Oh I miss him so much it hurts.

Oh no. I know just how you feel. 13 years ago my dog became ill with obvious pain and neurological symptoms. It was so sudden ; one minute I was at the vets with her trying to explain what was happening - the next minute the vet was on the phone to me telling the news was bad. I had always said I'd be with her when she died but the vets said she shouldn't come round from the anaesthetic and I should come immediately if I wanted to say goodbye. Of course I went; I pleaded with them to let her come round and come home to die - but no, it would be too painful (she had cancer of the spine, discovered by MRI). I held her while she was asleep and the vets put her down. I can't tell you how much I felt I'd let her down :(

It was so sudden. I so much wish she'd been aware of me with her :(

For weeks - months - afterwards I grieved; I would dream of her and wake up with my arms reaching for her: my arms ached - literally - to hold her.

It will get better, but it will take time. They are precious. My thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dreading Tuesday when I'll have to put the phone back on and actually speak to people. Another sleepless night filled with utter sadness.
  • Options
    CollybirdCollybird Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGB I'm literally sobbing reading this thread, I've actually had to stop reading for a few moments to compose myself.

We had our 21-year-old cat put to sleep a week ago on Thursday and I am still devastated; his liver and kidneys were beginning to fail and the vet advised we let him go. Apparently he wasn't in pain but he wasn't comfortable either; that much was obvious every movement he made was stiff and he couldn't sit properly but I really believe he was content. I think he probably could have lived quite happily for a while longer but my Dad took the vet's advice. I keep thinking that it's not fair to put an animal to sleep just because they're terminally ill when we don't do it to humans.

My Dad didn't have the strength to stay with him and all I can think about is how frightened he must have felt being left with strangers and then having to slip away without any of us around him. If I had known that he wouldn't be coming home I would have gone with him so that someone he knew was with him at the end. I think I'm angry with my dad for not sticking around.

I keep forgetting he isn't here, every time I open the fridge I expect him to come running begging for something to eat and whenever we sit at the table I expect him to jump up trying to grub food from us. Most of all I hate how lost my dad seems without him; they were truly the best of friends, our cat would literally cry for him, followed him everywhere and slept with him every night. Now my dad doesn't have his pal and it's just so sad.

I've just completely rambled but I just needed to share this.