Karen Carpenter

Comments

• RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    I never knew she dated Alan from the Osmonds wonder why that was never in the film because that was approved by Richard?

According to Wikipedia Karen dated some other famous men as well. There is also a bit about the over the counter medicine that karen was meant to be taking. Must say I never knew about that.
    Interesting to note though about a newspaper article describing her as chubby and then her dieting started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter
  • crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many websites say that her husband bled her dry and she was due to file divorce papers on the very day she suddenly died. How convenient for him!

It seems her relationship with her mother was very strained, and the family demanded lots of cuts and amendments to CBS's Karen Carpenter film, including adding a totally false "lovey dovey" ending.

How sad.

http://morethancoping.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/the-real-reason-karen-carpenter-was-driven-to-anorexia

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c/Carpenter,%20Karen/karen_carpenter.htm
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all those here interested in The Carpenters, I can highly recommend Ray Coleman's The Carpenters - The Untold Story, originally published in 1995: although it's not an authorised book as such, the family, notably Richard, helped out considerably, even though it pulled no punches on such topics as Richard's Quaalude addiction or Karen's marriage.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do remember reading that the hospital where she was taken to uncovered a lot of unsavoury stuff that their lawyer wanted to go public with. The legal might of the Carpenters (as in Richard and the mother) put an end to this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    Many websites say that her husband bled her dry and she was due to file divorce papers on the very day she suddenly died. How convenient for him!

It seems her relationship with her mother was very strained, and the family demanded lots of cuts and amendments to CBS's Karen Carpenter film, including adding a totally false "lovey dovey" ending.

How sad.

http://morethancoping.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/the-real-reason-karen-carpenter-was-driven-to-anorexia

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c/Carpenter,%20Karen/karen_carpenter.htm

Just read both your links. It makes very sad reading indeed. Can't believe both her mother and husband treated her that way.Karen was such a lovely person. Very sad indeed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have the pm about the mysterious circumstances too please?

I love the carpenters and Karen had such a lovely voice.
  • traitrai Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    could i have the pm too please?
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe I understood it wrong but, I thought she was in love with her brother?
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    Me too please :)

And me, if you don't mind. Thanks!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    I would also like a PM if possible, many thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have a pm too. Been a Carpenters fan since the early seventies and Karen is my all time favourite female singer.
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could I have a PM aswell:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Can you pm me the mysterious circumstances too please.
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone kindly pm too please.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    maybe I understood it wrong but, I thought she was in love with her brother?

Yes, I heard that there was some sort of incest thing going on.

Richard was very creepy and the story I heard was that he was in love with her and jealous of her husband.

I've got no idea where I heard this though and it was many, many years ago.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    Could I have a PM too please?
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I have a PM too please?

And me please.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 stone when she died. Tragic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Can I have a pm too please

ruby
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i still cant get my head round how she managed to hide it from everyone for so long - some of the final clips of her it is very obvious she's skeletal and there's a big problem.

i think her marriage was also a contributory factor to her unhappiness.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I seem to have the opposite opinion of Karen Carpenter.

She was a wonderful singer of very melodic songs.

I can remember reading several articles that she was very possesive of her brother and tried to come between any relationship he tried to have, through jealousy or spite.

I do not therefore have this sweet and sacharin view of her, in fact she was portrayed as a very bitter woman. I havent seen the film of her life but there must have been some cover up of her feelings and behaviour during her career.

That is to say, I love her music.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i still cant get my head round how she managed to hide it from everyone for so long - some of the final clips of her it is very obvious she's skeletal and there's a big problem.

I don't think that Anorexia Nervosa was fully understood at that time, even today people still die because of it.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    5 stone when she died. Tragic.

She had out weight on too, I remember Dionne Warwick talking that she saw her a couple of weeks before she died and she commented that for the first time Karen had hips.

:(
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I have a pm too please, I've always been a huge Carpenters fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Can you pm me the mysterious circumstances too please, many thanks :)