Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a new series from the US tonight for the first time Chicago Fire. Action packed etc and dh lives it but it drives me up the wall that every single woman in the show is stunning. DH says one is attractive but not stunning but I mean really!!! That's why I like British shows that have realistic actors. Yes I know CC is stunning but I can forgive one per show.

Australian clothing stores have started to advertise with regular bodied women and I think it us great. I think stick figure women are sending the wrong message to teenagers. FYI I am not overweight just a concerned adult.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - results from the 1st December Survey:

How do you think Series 7 will begin?

55.4% Martin & Louisa will live in the surgery while they
    work on the marriage

44.6% Louisa & James will live in a cottage in the village
    while they work on the marriage

The new survey (through December 31st) is:

How do you think Series 7 will end?

There are six choices - go here to participate:

http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Watching a new series from the US tonight for the first time Chicago Fire. Action packed etc and dh lives it but it drives me up the wall that every single woman in the show is stunning. DH says one is attractive but not stunning but I mean really!!! That's why I like British shows that have realistic actors. Yes I know CC is stunning but I can forgive one per show.

Australian clothing stores have started to advertise with regular bodied women and I think it us great. I think stick figure women are sending the wrong message to teenagers. FYI I am not overweight just a concerned adult.

I just saw a preview where the show was about an ex con who was supposed to becomes an agent of some type. The guy was a totally buff, three day scruffy beard hunk. The other agent was an unseemingly slender, long legged model type who just happened to be able to be a sharpshooter in a leather coat. These shows turn my stomach. It was hard enough growing up in the 60's and 70's watching all this shite. I can't imagine what it's like for little girls now....how depressing if you are average. The USA is a totally f**ked up society!!! It makes me cry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Okay -- I think the writers and producers tell themselves stories about the character -- flesh them out in their minds, to some degree at least, before they start. They may not bring all those aspects into play, and they don't have to tell us about them explicitly, but I think they do know who the character is, and what might have happened to him along the way to make him the person they're writing about.

Then, things happen along the way. The story line lengthens, how you think about the character, or how you need him/her to be changes over time. For example, did they know that Bert had a thing with Jennifer years ago before he was married? No, of course not. Also, I have heard writers say that their characters begin to take on a life of their own -- that now they have a different sense of them as persons and what they would or would not do, or have done. So -- back stories in the sense that writers know who their characters are, but they don't necessarily share with us all the details that make that character real to them. That's where they start, with the character, and it goes on from there.

As for details -- I can't look at that set, that wardrobe, those camera angles, the acting nuances, without thinking that someone has thought all these things out, to make them fit together. They care about those things -- it's evident, to me at least. As I said, it's what make the show interesting to me. Some things they care about less -- if some continuity has to be sacrificed -- i.e., a new aunt has to be invented -- to fill a plot need, that comes first. Some continuity lapses are of course accidental, but most are carefully weighed, it seems to me.

I should add that sometimes the things they think about, or the details they insert, are inside jokes. Which is what I think having Mummy read "Fifty shades of grey" probably was, e.g. It's fun to figure those out, too.

And then sometimes, I think they just say, it's just a show, we can't have one baby actor, we have to have several; deal with it.

I don't think they're slapdash or careless, or whatever. I think they try very hard to do certain things, and sometimes they fail. Less than most shows. And my fun is in trying to figure out why they do things as they do, even if they sometimes do them imperfectly. Your mileage may vary.

OK I am sitting here thinking of themes that were real in the story. Nuances that were not able to be chalked up to chance and are impossible to ignore.
    The presence of produce in the show...early on there was a fixation on veg...especially onions..on Doc's table, in Louisa's car, in the shed where Martin practices his behavioral therapy. Series 6 where he tells Bert he has to buy an onion. There is no denying that the presence of those things doesn't have some sort of meaning.

The clocks...Martin is always working on a clock..somewhere he puts his mind when not doing his job caring for people...something inanimate that he can fix, when he can't fix other things.

Blood and blood and blood...it is life but it's loss is death...Martin's Achilles heel..and how he can't handle it.

I know there are more...think if you can follow subtle examples throughout the show. I can't think about any more now....but maybe Bhudda...what does Bhudda mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    OK I am sitting here thinking of themes that were real in the story. Nuances that were not able to be chalked up to chance and are impossible to ignore.
    The presence of produce in the show...early on there was a fixation on veg...especially onions..on Doc's table, in Louisa's car, in the shed where Martin practices his behavioral therapy. Series 6 where he tells Bert he has to buy an onion. There is no denying that the presence of those things doesn't have some sort of meaning.

The clocks...Martin is always working on a clock..somewhere he puts his mind when not doing his job caring for people...something inanimate that he can fix, when he can't fix other things.

Blood and blood and blood...it is life but it's loss is death...Martin's Achilles heel..and how he can't handle it.

I know there are more...think if you can follow subtle examples throughout the show. can't think about any more now....but maybe Bhudda...what does Bhudda mean?

Speaking of veggies, did anyone else notice HOW Martin was holding the eggplant and two tomatoes in S3 outside the market, the episode where Louisa asks Martin to dinner at her house for the first time when they run into each other on the street? It was probably nothing and I should get my mind out of the gutter...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Speaking of veggies, did anyone else notice HOW Martin was holding the eggplant and two tomatoes in S3 outside the market, the episode where Louisa asks Martin to dinner at her house for the first time when they run into each other on the street? It was probably nothing and I should get my mind out of the gutter...

That was totally on purpose by MC..he is quite naughty......he's the best...
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, yeah, we noticed all right! ;-):D
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know there are more...think if you can follow subtle examples throughout the show. I can't think about any more now....but maybe Bhudda...what does Bhudda mean?

I don't know if you can chalk this up to nuance, but the kitchen table has played such an important "prop" in the series. From the early episode where LG gets DM drunk to loosen him up. LG visiting MC to see how he is doing minding Peter Cronk; the engagement dinner where LG receives AJ's ring. I noticed especially in S6 how many of the scenes took place at the kitchen table. JH has taken the head of the table seat in his high chair. DM confronting his mother took place there also.
    Forum Member
    That was totally on purpose by MC..he is quite naughty......he's the best...

He is a bit cheeky in that way, isn't he?
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I don't know if you can chalk this up to nuance, but the kitchen table has played such an important "prop" in the series. From the early episode where LG gets DM drunk to loosen him up. LG visiting MC to see how he is doing minding Peter Cronk; the engagement dinner where LG receives AJ's ring. I noticed especially in S6 how many of the scenes took place at the kitchen table. JH has taken the head of the table seat in his high chair. DM confronting his mother took place there also.

That JH has taken the head of the table, it shows how his entry into this world has put him at the forefront of their lives. M & L now need to come to the realization of selflessness for JH's sake, but also their own otherwise their relationship is doomed.
    Forum Member
    Something I noticed after rewatching the end of E8, when he says "you're my patient and you're my wife"...could he have instead said "because I love you" and would it have had the same effect? Even though I would have liked to hear him say that, I don't feel it would have been DM.

One of the things I think they need to figure out how to do is to get him to see that he is two people. There is DM the talented but grumpy GP, but also ME the husband and father. I think in earlier series it seemed a bit more clearly defined, especially when he was around LG. His demeanor around Louisa in the times he wasn't rowing with her was calmer and gentler. Even with AJ, he would get frustrated, but didn't necessarily treat her like an imbecile. It's almost like S7 needs to bring things full-circle where he is able to get back to that balanced personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The veggies were just a game by the props guys. One of the props guys is called Onions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I noticed after rewatching the end of E8, when he says "you're my patient and you're my wife"...could he have instead said "because I love you" and would it have had the same effect? Even though I would have liked to hear him say that, I don't feel it would have been DM.

One of the things I think they need to figure out how to do is to get him to see that he is two people. There is DM the talented but grumpy GP, but also ME the husband and father. I think in earlier series it seemed a bit more clearly defined, especially when he was around LG. His demeanor around Louisa in the times he wasn't rowing with her was calmer and gentler. Even with AJ, he would get frustrated, but didn't necessarily treat her like an imbecile. It's almost like S7 needs to bring things full-circle where he is able to get back to that balanced personality.

I am sick of hearing DM say I love you without meaning.

Agree with the rest. Let's hope they get it sorted for S7.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought that the "and you're my wife" had almost a note in it of, "and don't you forget it -- b/c I'm committed to this marriage and I'm going to fight for you to continue as my wife." In the many expressions that washed over Louisa's face then, I thought there was a half-smile of recognition at how typical his behavior was of him, at that point, relief that he had accepted that the marriage was in trouble and perhaps sadness and apprehension at the struggle that this statement (if nothing else) would have told her was ahead.
    Forum Member
    I thought that the "and you're my wife" had almost a note in it of, "and don't you forget it -- b/c I'm committed to this marriage and I'm going to fight for you to continue as my wife." In the many expressions that washed over Louisa's face then, I thought there was a half-smile of recognition at how typical his behavior was of him, at that point, relief that he had accepted that the marriage was in trouble and perhaps sadness and apprehension at the struggle that this statement (if nothing else) would have told her was ahead.

Ding, ding, ding! You said it better than I could have. That's exactly why, while it would have seemed the right thing to say, that the writing and acting didn't have to but yet they have left us with SOMETHING.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member

I had a total different take on that. I thought the "and you're my wife" sounded like an after thought. Patient first and then "Oh yeh, you're my wife" He said it as he is turning his head and walking away, he can't even look at her and say it. Louisa looks so sad at the end, not hopeful at all. How will he ever think of her as his wife first. And that glaring backlight at the end, like he is some god or something. I found it quite unsettling. Two years Breath Breath - and if there isn't a series 7?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a total different take on that. I thought the "and you're my wife" sounded like an after thought. Patient first and then "Oh yeh, you're my wife" He said it as he is turning his head and walking away, he can't even look at her and say it. Louisa looks so sad at the end, not hopeful at all. How will he ever think of her as his wife first. And that glaring backlight at the end, like he is some god or something. I found it quite unsettling. Two years Breath Breath - and if there isn't a series 7?!!

Take heart -- there is definitely a Series 7 coming up.

Yes, it's definitely one of those scenes that totally different things can be read into. Whatever interpretation one puts on it, it's clear there's trouble ahead, which I imagine will last through 7.75 episodes, at least.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first thought when he said "and you're my wife" was that it had more meaning to him than if he said "I love you". Even despite his blood phobia returning which would pose a problem operating on her, one look at Mr. Westmore in the operating theater and he knew he was not competent to perform the procedure on his wife.

Someone prior mentioned about the white light at the beginning and end which I thought was a good explanation: In E1 Louisa is at the entrance of the church with the white light behind her, thus bringing it in, and in E8 DM walks into the white light as if he is receiving it. Both episodes were written by Jack Lothian. In artistic terms, this must be called something, (symbolic meaning?) but I don't know.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's already said "I love you" in previous series, so it'd be a repeat. But I sort of saw the "my wife" thing as representative of his commitment to Louisa and their marriage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    My first thought when he said "and you're my wife" was that it had more meaning to him than if he said "I love you". Even despite his blood phobia returning which would pose a problem operating on her, one look at Mr. Westmore in the operating theater and he knew he was not competent to perform the procedure on his wife.

Someone prior mentioned about the white light at the beginning and end which I thought was a good explanation: In E1 Louisa is at the entrance of the church with the white light behind her, thus bringing it in, and in E8 DM walks into the white light as if he is receiving it. Both episodes were written by Jack Lothian. In artistic terms, this must be called something, (symbolic meaning?) but I don't know.

Artistic? Symbolic? That light is intensifying as is this story/show. Making us wait 2 years is so unAmerican!
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Artistic? Symbolic? That light is intensifying as is this story/show. Making us wait 2 years is so unAmerican!

For some reason your post gave me an aha moment. I have puzzled to what has made me such a fan of the show. I never before have given two hoots whether I saw most shows again, let alone agonize on the twist and turns it might take. What the series offers me is anticipation, the type I had as a kid when I wanted something and had to wait for it. For me this program offers that, why this program I don’t know. I do know I’m enjoying the ride.
    Forum Member

Actions speak louder than words...and we already know ME isn't good with words (although he could be if he tried harder), but he is good at his profession and coming to Louisa's aid shows not only a strong sense of duty, but also a strong sense of love.
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    For some reason your post gave me an aha moment. I have puzzled to what has made me such a fan of the show. I never before have given two hoots whether I saw most shows again, let alone agonize on the twist and turns it might take. What the series offers me is anticipation, the type I had as a kid when I wanted something and had to wait for it. For me this program offers that, why this program I don’t know. I do know I’m enjoying the ride.

Yes! Agree! Downton Abbey doesn't even leave me with that level of anticipation for the next series. AND when DA finally ends, I don't think it would really matter how. I will look at it as extremely enjoyable but doesn't leave me with as much to anticipate as DM. Even though DA S3 ended on a tragic note, it doesn't really leave me anticipating what will happen in S4. It will just happen and we all go along with it. I'm sure there are diehard DA fans who "anticipate" the next series but I'm not in that group. DM obviously caters to a pretty narrow fanbase of those who appreciate beyond just watching it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's already said "I love you" in previous series, so it'd be a repeat. But I sort of saw the "my wife" thing as representative of his commitment to Louisa and their marriage.

I also saw it as an echo or a response to Louisa's disappointed statement when she realized that he hadn't told her about the return of his phobia "But I'm your wife." Now, he gets it -- when it's almost too late. Although I recognize that Jack Lothian did not write that particular episode, only the first and last.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My take on "and you're my wife" and how he said that so muffled and stressed is that it was one of the most difficult things he ever had to say. Go back to E1 when Penhale almost quoted "What's Love Got to Do With It?" Why didn't Martin say, "Hello wife." When Louisa said, "Hello husband." Ruth told him that he'd have to change if he wanted to be with Louisa. Saying that she was his wife and he wanted to be a good husband was an enormous breakthrough. "Love" is wonderful and the whole hormonal thing is lovely, but it doesn't last forever. What Martin realizes is that he has to be a partner, which is so much more important. There's a lot of rubbish he has to sort through first before he can make that step.
This discussion has been closed.