Options

IOS 8.1 on Monday

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With my iPhone 5 running iOs 8.1 and having it linked with my iMac, my iMac should still be able to send messages to non iOS users.
    I can receive message into my iMac from non iOS users, where that wasn't the case before iOS 8.1.Baz

Weird, the SMS must have been going from your iPhone then, but somehow the situation has now reversed so only incoming SMS is shared.

So is there now a (privacy) setting in the iPhone that needs turning on?.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Oh I see. I thought the 4G logo on my home screen meant I was getting 4G.

Yes it does - that's not new in iOS 8.1 that depends on your network and the price plan you are on. (Are you in the right thread, did you mean to post in a 4G is here one?)

We've had a 4G on/off switch since iOS 6 on the iPhone 5, and in iOS 7 and in 8.0 - but in 8.1 we should have more options to choose 2G, 3G or 4G - similar to Android phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With my iPhone 5 running iOs 8.1 and having it linked with my iMac, my iMac should still be able to send messages to non iOS users.

I can receive message into my iMac from non iOS users, where that wasn't the case before iOS 8.1.

Odd - if you can receive you should be able to send. Works for me sending to an Android phone on Three using my MacBook Air early 2012.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Yes it does - that's not new in iOS 8.1 that depends on your network and the price plan you are on. (Are you in the right thread, did you mean to post in a 4G is here one?)

We've had a 4G on/off switch since iOS 6 on the iPhone 5, and in iOS 7 and in 8.0 - but in 8.1 we should have more options to choose 2G, 3G or 4G - similar to Android phones.

No. I thought people were saying they couldn't get 4G. That's all.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd - if you can receive you should be able to send. Works for me sending to an Android phone on Three using my MacBook Air early 2012.

Hi

R u able to send a message to an Android fone by starting a new message?

I have a late 2009 iMac.

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi

R u able to send a message to an Android fone by starting a new message?

I have a late 2009 iMac.

Thanks

Baz

Yes, Just go into messages, type the number (07xxx xxxxxx) and it goes green. Before I linked the phone it went red.

You could go into settings -> Messages -> Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone and turn off your Mac. Then on your Mac close the Messages app (force quit if needed) and then start it up again. Then on the phone turn the slider on and the mac should give you a code to type into the phone.

That should link it again?
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Seems pretty smooth... I can do phone calls between my macbook pro and iPhone, and send and receive texts from non iPhone numbers.

Not installed it on my iPad 3 yet- believe I can't do phone calls on it anyway as its too old? Or is that continuity which its too old for? Or Handoff? Too many odd names .... either way 8.0 was very slow so sacked it off. Any reviews of 8.1 on an iPad 3 will be appreciated
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Noticed I have several GB more space than i did on 8.0.2..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh yeah, I do too.
  • Options
    sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member

Yes it looks like it has freed up 2.1Gb upgrading from 8.0.2 to 8.1 on my iPhone 6.
  • Options
    andyukguyandyukguy Posts: 169
    Forum Member

I was looking to clear space to do the update OTA so I'd recently seen my usage page before the update. I ended up doing it via iTunes. I noticed the free space increase and one thing I know is that my twitter app was using about 1GB less space (it was top of my list before the update). It seems some app caches were automatically cleaned by this update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Just go into messages, type the number (07xxx xxxxxx) and it goes green. Before I linked the phone it went red.

You could go into settings -> Messages -> Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone and turn off your Mac. Then on your Mac close the Messages app (force quit if needed) and then start it up again. Then on the phone turn the slider on and the mac should give you a code to type into the phone.

That should link it again?

Hi

Ive tried that again. Once setup this is what happens. Open Messages>Select Non iOS user>Their name turns bright Green>I try to type a message in the text message box and the name of the recipient disappears :-s

If I type the mobile number in manually their name comes up as a light shade of green, at this point I can then send them a message.

So it seems, I can't send a message to a non iOS user by selecting them from my contacts. I can only send a message by typing in their mobile number manually. Seems very strange :-s

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it seems, I can't send a message to a non iOS user by selecting them from my contacts. I can only send a message by typing in their mobile number manually. Seems very strange :-s

That is very very odd. My contacts is synced to MS Office 365 on both my iPhone and Mac - but I don't think it can have any effect?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    I haven't found a fault yet, the iPad (currently using my iPad 4 cellular), everything feels much quicker and smoother, I noticed the carrier settings updated to 18.1 after the update.

Copy and paste is working properly again. The texting from the iPad function activated without a problem when I tried it.

So far, it seems quite an impressive update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is very very odd. My contacts is synced to MS Office 365 on both my iPhone and Mac - but I don't think it can have any effect?

Hi

My Contacts r just sync'd from iCloud on all my Apple devices. Another things I've noticed is, after Ive tried sending a message on my iMac to a non iOS user, it then refuses to send an iMessage to any iOS user :-s

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does SMS Relay work with slightly older Macs without Bluetooth 4.0 LE ? - don't think it does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Does SMS Relay work with slightly older Macs without Bluetooth 4.0 LE ? - don't think it does.

Hi

Why would SMS Relay require Bluetooth 4.0? Im able to make calls from my iMac linked to my iPhone without Bluetooth 4.0, surely my late 2009 iMac doesn't need it for SMS Relay?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Why would SMS Relay require Bluetooth 4.0? Im able to make calls from my iMac linked to my iPhone without Bluetooth 4.0, surely my late 2009 iMac doesn't need it for SMS Relay?

Thanks

Baz

Ahh it seems it does does apparently work on older Macs - but unfortunately not all the continuity stuff.

On your iPhone check Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding > Name of Computer > On (a code will pop up on your mac which you have to enter on your iPhone)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Ahh it seems it does does apparently work on older Macs - but unfortunately not all the continuity stuff.

On your iPhone check Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding > Name of Computer > On (a code will pop up on your mac which you have to enter on your iPhone)

Hi

Ive linked my iMac with my iPhone by entering the code. My iMac is listed along with my iPad in Text Message Forwarding.

I can receive a text message on my iMac and reply to that text message on my iMac. I just can't send a text message from my iMac when I create a brand new message :-s

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else not seeing the Camera Roll on the iPhone? It has returned on the iPad, but still showing as 'All Photos' on the phone.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Is anyone else not seeing the Camera Roll on the iPhone? It has returned on the iPad, but still showing as 'All Photos' on the phone.

Do you have iCloud photo library turned on? You have to have it turned off for Camera Roll to appear on the iPhone apparently.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, OK - All Photos refers to all photos in the cloud and across all devices, whereas Camera Roll refers to all photos on a device.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Ive linked my iMac with my iPhone by entering the code. My iMac is listed along with my iPad in Text Message Forwarding.

I can receive a text message on my iMac and reply to that text message on my iMac. I just can't send a text message from my iMac when I create a brand new message :-s

Thanks

Baz

What happens when you try to create a new message?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    What happens when you try to create a new message?

Hi

When I select the contacts name, for a split second its highlighted in a light green colour then changes to bring green.

The cursor flashes in the text message box, as soon as I write a text, the contacts name disappears and the cursor is then flashing where the selected contacts name was :-s

At this point, Im unable to send a text or iMessage from my iMac :-s

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for 64 bit owners is that Apple are forcing updates to have a 64 bit version available, something that never really happened for Windows software.
    The only app I actually know that is 64 bit is Dropbox so once 32 bit is jettisoned you might get more Ram. (also depends on the new 64 bit app size)

http://news.hitb.org/content/apple-wants-all-ios-apps-use-64-bit-code-starting-february

"Moving all apps to 64-bit will bring big performance and memory gains for newer devices (which include A7 or A8 SoC’s) as running the 32-bit apps necessitates loading a lot of additional resources into system memory."