Options

Atlantis - Series 2 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    We all know Pasiphae isn't dead, but seeing her getting shot was still good. :D

I did enjoy the look on her face when she realised she was about to get shot by Ariadne. Same for Medea when she saw Jason coming towards her.

As villains go, they're not that smart, really. Were they even armed? They certainly weren't making much effort to act sneaky and they knew they were outnumbered. Pasiphae was also a bit of an idiot when she stabbed that soldier to try and motivate the others. She was totally outnumbered and she lacks the fighting prowess to scare an army, nor did she have an "elite guard," backing her up.

The moment she gave them a choice of "enter the cave of doom," or "I'll walk you over here and calmly stab you in the back," you'd think they'd choose option three; use our numbers and swords to cut the silly bitch to pieces. That's why good leaders try to motivate their troops in the face of death, rather than offer them more death.
  • Options
    servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Improving all the time. The stories hang together much better, and the series now has a flow to it.
    Caves are always full of bad things, you should have learnt that by now!
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    What amused us in our family was when Ariadne, supposedly to make herself less visible, removed a dark blue dress to reveal a bright white underskirt which showed up against the night sky.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarendel wrote: »
    What amused us in our family was when Ariadne, supposedly to make herself less visible, removed a dark blue dress to reveal a bright white underskirt which showed up against the night sky.

the extra bewbage would of distracted the archers and thus she'd of been fine :D
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    servelan wrote: »
    Improving all the time. The stories hang together much better, and the series now has a flow to it.
    Caves are always full of bad things, you should have learnt that by now!

Couldn't disgree more. Given up watching now.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I was wondering why she went through the process of bathing and putting on her Sunday best ready for a long, arduous trip across rough terrain? Cargos and boots would have been a better choice with her glad rags safely packed away in the luggage train.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I was wondering why she went through the process of bathing and putting on her Sunday best ready for a long, arduous trip across rough terrain? Cargos and boots would have been a better choice with her glad rags safely packed away in the luggage train.

Better would have been sending a look-a-like through the Gorge marked 'TRAP', giving the tactical advantage of the high ground on both sides to known enemies or bandits, wearing her Sunday best. While she took a different ultra-safe route with just Jason and her Man at Arms (or whoever fella who died was) in disguise. With the chap she met a week ago and got engaged to making his own way there.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    I was wondering why she went through the process of bathing and putting on her Sunday best ready for a long, arduous trip across rough terrain?
    As a contrast between the two and to make her actions more of a surprise, according to the review here on DS.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

It was risible :D

For the most part though, I was just bored. We had a bit of random fighting and then a dull conversation and this was repeated throughout. So much of the show is laughable e.g. Pythagoras killing trained soldiers again and again and again.

It's not even amusingly bad anymore. It's just bad.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm getting bored of this too. Literally naff all happened in this episode that you couldn't see a mile off.

Medea has the potential to be interesting but it's like the writers are either holding off or not trying though.

The scenes with Jason/Ariadne were okay but hardly compelling material. Nice moments with Pythagoras and Hercules though.

Telemon was an idiot in this episode. Pasiphae still feels like a one dimensional baddie.

Cliffhanger was decent enough I suppose, 6/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not even amusingly bad anymore. It's just bad.
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I'm getting bored of this too.
    Good. Then perhaps you'll both take the hint, stop watching and have no need to clog-up this thread with your pointless hate-posting >:(
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Good. Then perhaps you'll both take the hint, stop watching and have no need to clog-up this thread with your pointless hate-posting >:(

Who appointed you umpire general?
    Leave off telling people what to do, for goodness sake.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Who appointed you umpire general?
    Leave off telling people what to do, for goodness sake.

BBC America allegedly will not be funding 'Badlantis' past this season so there is no doubt the show is dead, it could have been so good but there are far to many valid points that have not been addressed.

Charlotte Moore has also indicated that there is no chance of a third season based on the lukewarm reception of season two.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC America allegedly will not be funding 'Badlantis' past this season so there is no doubt the show is dead, it could have been so good but there are far to many valid points that have not been addressed.

Charlotte Moore has also indicated that there is no chance of a third season based on the lukewarm reception of season two.

Which is a shame. It could have been really good. Shame that the changes thatwere made for series 2 just weren't enough. I also think they should have waited a year or 2 after Merlin first before making this. It just reminds me too much of Merlin but in a different location. I know people knocked Merlin at the start but it was still much more enjoyable than what I've seen so far. I've really tried to enjoy it and I did enjoy the first episode of s2 but every other episode that I've seen so far has bored me. I did try with it honest. I watched the first 6 episodes of season1 and I just wasn't enjoying it. Gave it another go in season 2 and wasn't keen on episodes 2 and 3. Really not sure if I want to watch any more now. I feel I've given it enough chances.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly this was inevitable.

It isn't just the acting, plots, scripts & dialogue but the basic premise that is flawed here.

They seemingly set up a series that had at its heart the mythical Hero Jason, the Demi-god Hercules and the real life mathematical theorist Pythagorus having adventures in the mythical doomed island of Atlantis.

Then it turned out, well Jason *might* be that Jason but Hercules isn't the son of Zeus and the hero of mythology but just a chap called, coincidentally, Hercules and Pythagerus isn't really all that bright so probably just a chap called, coincidentally, Pythagorus.

The old 'bait and switch' .

Just as bad, they set up for a 'fish out of water' premise with Jason being from the 20th Century but never exploited it and inexplicably seem to have forgotten all about it!!

All in all a shoddy load of boll0x
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It isn't just the acting, plots, scripts & dialogue but the basic premise that is flawed here.

They seemingly set up a series that had at its heart the mythical Hero Jason, the Demi-god Hercules and the real life mathematical theorist Pythagorus having adventures in the mythical doomed island of Atlantis.

Then it turned out, well Jason *might* be that Jason but Hercules isn't the son of Zeus and the hero of mythology but just a chap called, coincidentally, Hercules and Pythagerus isn't really all that bright so probably just a chap called, coincidentally, Pythagorus.

Just as bad, they set up for a 'fish out of water' premise with Jason being from the 20th Century but never exploited it and inexplicably seem to have forgotten all about it!!

Plus Atlantis doesn't appear to be that doomed, mythical island-city. Its just some regular land-locked Greek city that happens to be called Atlantis.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Did you actually read all of my post? I actually made some reasonable observations. I didn't just mindless post hate stuff.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you become a moderator you can tell people what to do Carl.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Which is a shame. It could have been really good. Shame that the changes thatwere made for series 2 just weren't enough. I also think they should have waited a year or 2 after Merlin first before making this. It just reminds me too much of Merlin but in a different location. I know people knocked Merlin at the start but it was still much more enjoyable than what I've seen so far. I've really tried to enjoy it and I did enjoy the first episode of s2 but every other episode that I've seen so far has bored me. I did try with it honest. I watched the first 6 episodes of season1 and I just wasn't enjoying it. Gave it another go in season 2 and wasn't keen on episodes 2 and 3. Really not sure if I want to watch any more now. I feel I've given it enough chances.

Helbore wrote: »
    Plus Atlantis doesn't appear to be that doomed, mythical island-city. Its just some regular land-locked Greek city that happens to be called Atlantis.

I'm afraid I agree with all of these posts. I really wanted to like it, but the strengths it could have had with Jason from the 21st Century so knowing about Atlantis/Hercules/Pythagoras, plus the myths surrounding Hercules, along with Pythagoras's mathematical mind have been totally and utterly squandered for some Merlin-light sub-standard plots that have absolutely diddly squat connection with either the location or the characters save for a fleeting reference in a future episode for the ship the Argo. Far from wanting the main characters to survive I'd be quite satisfied if they all drowned on the bloody boat as the volcanic eruption creates the tidal wave that causes the island to sink without trace. Which is what should happen to this series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    I'm afraid I agree with all of these posts. I really wanted to like it, but the strengths it could have had with Jason from the 21st Century so knowing about Atlantis/Hercules/Pythagoras, plus the myths surrounding Hercules, along with Pythagoras's mathematical mind have been totally and utterly squandered for some Merlin-light sub-standard plots that have absolutely diddly squat connection with either the location or the characters save for a fleeting reference in a future episode for the ship the Argo.

I agree with this, there could have been such delicious moments of irony, and 'Ahhhh' moments as Jason sifted out truth from myths.

I wonder whether this was the intention when they made him a 21st century time traveller?.... only to fall at the wayside when some committee decided that such a subtext would be alienating and 'too advanced for the thicko viewers'.
    That's one thing that really comes across in this series - the utter suppression of any kind of cleverness or quirk, i.e the things that engage people.
    But all is well for us lesser mortals. It's all in the name of 'light-hearted entertainment' after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who appointed you umpire general? Leave off telling people what to do, for goodness sake.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    When you become a moderator you can tell people what to do Carl.
    Where did I actually tell anyone what to do? I was merely expressing my opinion as I am allowed to do.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    when they made him a 21st century time traveller
    This was supposed to be the USP but seems to have been ditched as soon as the titles stopped rolling at the start of the first ever episode to become a poor sword and sandals soap.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was supposed to be the USP but seems to have been ditched as soon as the titles stopped rolling at the start of the first ever episode to become a poor sword and sandals soap.

and he also suddenly has a perfect grasp of ancient greek (technically)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where did I actually tell anyone what to do? I was merely expressing my opinion as I am allowed to do.

You told people to stop watching and to stop posting on the forum. You were '>:(' because people had a different opinion to yours?

What part of 'discuss the programme, the characters and the actors etc' don't you understand?

Your comments always come back to complaining about forum members and criticizing them.
    Earlier in the thread you were complaining that people who praised the show were mocked and belittled. I've not seen a single example of that in the past month... only you being rude and belittling people who criticize the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D haha