Applying for over 70 driving licence renewal

wsgwsg Posts: 185
Forum Member
I have today tried to renew my over 70 driving licence over the Internet it states on the renewal form posted to me if you apply over the Internet and are asked for a payment leave he site immediately the Internet renewal asked for a £10 fee??? When I asked on the Internet chat line help I was told the fee was correct if applying on line but not via post any advice pleas as one thing contradicts another here

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    I have today tried to renew my over 70 driving licence over the Internet it states on the renewal form posted to me if you apply over the Internet and are asked for a payment leave he site immediately the Internet renewal asked for a £10 fee??? When I asked on the Internet chat line help I was told the fee was correct if applying on line but not via post any advice pleas as one thing contradicts another here

Did you use the .gov website or some other site?

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

That clearly says renew for free at the top.

Also on here

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

it says..
    to pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)

So are you sure you've gone to the correct website?
  • wsgwsg Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Yes I went to the correct web site as shown on the renewal form posted to me www.gov ect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I went to the correct web site as shown on the renewal form posted to me www.gov ect

So you ended up at the website in the first link I posted above then clicked the green Start Now button which led to

https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=RE7&_nfls=false

is that correct?

So I'm wondering where the £10 fee comes from? There is nothing about renewing anything about a driving licence that costs ten quid

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees

Closest I can see is £14 to change the photo.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I asked on the Internet chat line help I was told the fee was correct if applying on line but not via post any advice pleas as one thing contradicts another here

What internet chat line help????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    What internet chat line help????

Good question, can't see any chat line on either the .gov or DVLA websites.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP if you have a spare £10 send it to me.

There. See how easy it is to ask? I bet you don't. Why send it to them?
  • wsgwsg Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Iused the web site shown on the renewal notice that camel the post the live chat notice was on the bottom of the gov renewal details page I have decided to apply by post it seems safer if you if you can forget that they can't guarantee to get your given details back to you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iused the web site shown on the renewal notice that camel the post the live chat notice was on the bottom of the gov renewal details page I have decided to apply by post it seems safer if you if you can forget that they can't guarantee to get your given details back to you

I am pretty sure that whatever website you went to it was NOT the official .gov one. I have searched high and low and cannot for the life of me see any trace of a live chat option at all.

Have you tried the links I have posted to see if they match the website you used? I did find a DVLA YouTube video that showed how to apply online and that included a web address direct.gov.uk/renewat70 that appears to redirect to the .gov website I posted in my first post in this thread.

So confused as to what happened???