Options

Tips for prepping in advance (Christmas dinner)

JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this has been done to death, i remember a few weeks ago there being a thread & there were lots of helpful tips for prepping in advance, but i can't find it.

I have a busy day on christmas day & won't be home until about a couple of hrs before i wants dinner to be served, i'm ok on the turkey front but i need advice on if/how i can prep these things before christmas day -

Roast potatoes
Mashed carrot & turnip
Roasted carrots, parsnips, leeks & courgettes

Also any idea what i can add to the roasted vegetables to make them a bit more exciting? Honey? Maple syrup? How long would you advise me to roast them for?

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas eve -

Roast pots - peal and par boil them (5 minutes) the day before. Drain and rough up.

Let them cool down then cover them and pop them in the fridge. Next day, put you pan with whatever fat you are using in the oven 20 minutes before you want to put the tatties in. Then, take the tatties form the fridge and straight into the hot fat. 45 minutes at about 200c - 220c will be perfect. So, assuming you are allowing resting time for the turkey, by the time these go in you can whack the heat up and not worry about the turkey over cooking.

Mash you can do the day before and then heat up in the microwave, just make sure it is piping hot.

Roast veg, unless it needs par boiling there isn't much you can do in advance except peel and chop it into the size bits you want. If you do that, keep them in a bowl of cold water to keep them looking fresh. You could treat the parsnips the same as the roast tats and par boil them and roast them with the potatoes. If you do this, you need to cut them on the chunkier size so they don't over cook.

Honey roasted veg is nice. - 30-40 minutes depending on the size of bits should do it.
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great advice Gogfumble, thank you!