'The Equalizer' Movie

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks like plans for a movie based on The Equalizer are underway.

This is great news. I loved the show growing up. Absolutely essential 80's TV!

Let's hope they don't mess it up.

So obvious question - who should replace Edward Woodward? I assume he'll have a cameo.

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's been confirmed!

Denzel Washington has been cast to play the role made famous by Edward Woodward on television in The Equalizer which they're hoping to launch as a franchise series. Project is being fasttracked as Sony Pictures really like the script, shooting begins April 2013.

Denzel Washington eh, great actor that he is, isn't he a bit young? What does everyone think?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/sony-pictures-sets-april-8-start-for-denzel-washington-to-play-the-equalizer/
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So obvious question - who should replace Edward Woodward? I assume he'll have a cameo.

Not unless they are going dig him up :eek:

EDIT: didn't see the date of the Op :o
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to be Denzil. Great casting decision.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they bring back the original soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1NiNKwueE
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Washington? Nuts. It has to be Jason Statham! Jas is your only man!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Washington? Nuts. It has to be Jason Statham! Jas is your only man!

Woodwood had more class in his little finger than Statham has in his entire body.

Besides have you actually seen the equalizer series?,
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Denzel Washington eh, great actor that he is, isn't he a bit young? What does everyone think?

I may need correcting but I'm certain Denzel is older than Edward was when the show started.

Good casting decision. This show could translate perfectly to the big screen.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I may need correcting but I'm certain Denzel is older than Edward was when the show started.

Nope, your right. Denzil is 57 now. That surprised me, mind you not sure how old I thought he was. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not certain but I think edward Woodward was in his late 50's during the equalizer
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Hope they bring back the original soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1NiNKwueE

A must! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be directed by Nicolas Winding Refn who made Drive.

Denzel and Refn, bring it on!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    ^ Refn is a good choice, but let's hope he doesn't have to 'dial it back', as it were, for ratings/franchise reasons.

I mean, look at The A-Team. The Joe Carnahan who directed that, and the Joe Carnahan who directed Narc, could've been two different directors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVeV8BbSfA

Hmm.
    Denzil rocks.. always has. I think he's one of the best male actors. He was made for a role like this. However... the story looks a bit lazy and sloppy. How many films are we going to have where some dude takes on the Russian mafia.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rather disappointed that he doesn't dress like a businessman in a long coat with too much time on his hands. No advert in a newspaper, too. Maybe the film is a prequel of some sort.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whereas I normally don't have an issue with remakes, a few things bother me about this one...

Firstly it's Denzil yet again playing another loner/ex military/cop type character, always with a tragic backstory/history of some sort.

We have seen him do this sort of thing far too many times, and frankly it's getting old.

Second the story appears to be yet another clichéd lone gunman takes on the mob, with a young girl thrown in for good measure, the latter being yet another recent cliché and reminiscent of the Taken movies.

And finally - let's be honest, this is yet another Washington/Fuqua action movie vehicle that has nothing to do with the original tv show (going by that trailer at least). It's not the fact that the McCall character was a middle aged English guy that bothers me, but the fact that nothing in the trailer seems to be reminiscent of the plot or formula of the original show.

I would rather they be honest and not call it The Equalizer. And in fact I think the title will work against it, as fans of that show are obviously going to have a lot of issues with this new version
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Gone now. Sony bots did their thing.

But yeah, it did look like standard stuff with a recognizeable name slapped on it. I hope the whole film isn't as dimly lit too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely forgot about this. So it's Antoine Fuqua directing now, is it. He's the guy who directed Training Day also starring Denzel so it doesn't feel like it's going to be a true Equalizer kind of film.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Whereas I normally don't have an issue with remakes, a few things bother me about this one...

Firstly it's Denzil yet again playing another loner/ex military/cop type character, always with a tragic backstory/history of some sort.

We have seen him do this sort of thing far too many times, and frankly it's getting old.

Second the story appears to be yet another clichéd lone gunman takes on the mob, with a young girl thrown in for good measure, the latter being yet another recent cliché and reminiscent of the Taken movies.

And finally - let's be honest, this is yet another Washington/Fuqua action movie vehicle that has nothing to do with the original tv show (going by that trailer at least). It's not the fact that the McCall character was a middle aged English guy that bothers me, but the fact that nothing in the trailer seems to be reminiscent of the plot or formula of the original show.

I would rather they be honest and not call it The Equalizer. And in fact I think the title will work against it, as fans of that show are obviously going to have a lot of issues with this new version
    Couldn't agree more. He has phoned in several performances recently and played 'Denzil' rather than a character.

I do wonder though how many of the people who goto see the movie would have seen The Equalizer or even heard of the series?
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member

Looks rubbish seen a clip of it can hardly see it mostly dark.These big productions should have decent lighting.As for casting agent DW is good choice.

EW died. Your needing to no more about movies pal.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moviesman wrote: »
    Looks rubbish seen a clip of it can hardly see it mostly dark.These big productions should have decent lighting.As for casting agent DW is good choice.

EW died. Your needing to no more about movies pal.

As the post you are quoting was from 2005, and EW didn't die until 2009, perhaps you need to read a bit more carefully.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feels like a prequel to me, but very much out of the "Taken" cookie-cutter - the last scene will probably see him putting on a long coat and taking out a newspaper ad... that said, apparently it's been testing through the roof, and the studio have already greenlit the sequel in order to secure Denzel...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Original theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1NiNKwueE

I was considered too young to watch it as a child. I think I'd found it randomly one night on my bedroom TV and my parents turned it off and told me I wasn't allowed to watch it. So whenever it was on I'd quietly switch the TV on, put the volume right down and watch it. Although I had to turn the theme up a bit because it was the best 80's TV theme.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I never got into "The Equalizer" (burn the heretic!). I think I was expecting Callan Mk2, and only ever watched the first episode.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the 'Equalizer' but the trailer looked cool. Timing everything is a nice trick, if not limited when one has to compensate for evolving circumstances.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the official trailer - it looks like just another action flick. It would be good if they incorporated the 80s soundtrack but I suspect they won’t. Let's see.