F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »

Typical, Ferrari International Assistance strikes again! Three car team? FFS!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Interesting drivers conference today with the rookies
    Kimi had a lot to say also
    Did not think much of that blue flag question from Crofty
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Railway suffers form similar issues, even though cables are buried or in concrete troughing, the little darlings will still have a chomp, normally only do it once, chomping a 650v signal supply cable is not recommened, (to anyone!) and once the 650v is down, the trains stop, until the staff can either renew the faulty section, and / or staff are arranged for 'Emergency working' which can take a bit of time.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    With an unknown driver too. Those dirty cheaters... :D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Teds Notebook from Oz, I thought it was odd the way he seemed to make a big thing about Sky Italia and Sky Germany being there, I know it's new for Sky Italia, but I was still a little surprised, and the face he made when he said something about there being a lot of Sky around was interesting, couldn't tell if he was pleased, or worried
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    Just watched Teds Notebook from Oz, I thought it was odd the way he seemed to make a big thing about Sky Italia and Sky Germany being there, I know it's new for Sky Italia, but I was still a little surprised, and the face he made when he said something about there being a lot of Sky around was interesting, couldn't tell if he was pleased, or worried

I don't think he made a big deal about it as such, I saw it as him saying hello as they all walked on past and tried to build up a bit of banter with new colleagues. I think it was more observational opinions from him noting there's many more Sky around rather than a veiled message etc. Last year his 'Sky' team were the new kids and now they've been bolstered with others. Maybe he's thinking ahead to future as there's a few comments kicking around that Sky could effectively take over the broadcasting...

As for anything substantial though, yet to see it.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I don't think he made a big deal about it as such, I saw it as him saying hello as they all walked on past and tried to build up a bit of banter with new colleagues. I think it was more observational opinions from him noting there's many more Sky around rather than a veiled message etc. Last year his 'Sky' team were the new kids and now they've been bolstered with others. Maybe he's thinking ahead to future as there's a few comments kicking around that Sky could effectively take over the broadcasting...

As for anything substantial though, yet to see it.

Really, what worldwide or across Europe?
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, what worldwide or across Europe?

Well this only web chat - ie autosport, people commenting on blogs that say they're in the know etc..

Nothing concrete in any shape or form, just the implied notion that with Sky picking up rights left, right and centre what happens when they have them all?....it's not a stretch to see them being a 'home' broadcaster of the sport, if it'll happen though is complete finger in the air opinion. I myself couldn't see anything like that happening in the next 5 years and personally I think it'll go internet based.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I think the likely direction is that the big pay tv operators will get together and decide that for the money they are paying, they want more control over the pictures.

Will probably happen when the current set of contracts expire in 4-5 years time, the pay tv channels will be in a very powerful position when it comes to the negotiations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Interesting drivers conference today with the rookies
    Kimi had a lot to say also
    Did not think much of that blue flag question from Crofty

No me neither. Sounded like he didnt come in with a question and it was one that he plucked out of the air at that second.
  • thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    There seem to be a lot of fans who'd like to see the Austrailian GP back to it's 3am start / 2pm local time.

Malaysia is a late start too. There's a good chance that these will always be highlight races on BBC, and possibly elsewhere in Europe where there's a FTA/Pay deal.

So the late race slot to suit European TV doesn't make huge sense anymore since the biggest audience is always likely to be the FTA one.

So please see sense Bernie - put the twilight Eastern races back to a 2pm local start like they used to be. Then the FTA highlights broadcast can be earlier in the day, even in the morning in Europe when I'm more likely to watch your mobile advertising.....
    By 2.30pm on a Sunday afternoon (later than a live European race!), I've found something better to do, so I'm not getting exposed to your sponsors at all.....

Malaysia - another VRS zone (Viewer Reduction System).

Sky's NowTV (NoWayTV) remains a DNS option at £9.99 per day too.

Move 'em so the highlights are earlier in Europe and hey presto Bernie, you may enable VARS (Viewing Audience Recovery System).
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seem to be a lot of fans who'd like to see the Austrailian GP back to it's 3am start / 2pm local time.

Hear, Hear!
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Sky Sports F1 show 'F1 Midweek Report': http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8578687/f1-midweek-report Except no one knows about it, because:

a) it is not in the schedules once
    b) they have not promoted it on their main Twitter feed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Suzi Perry tweeted to say they're remixing the BBC titles in response to feedback about loud engine noises over The Chain:

https://twitter.com/suziperry/status/314617049139789824
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this nice little video on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21875453

If Suzi presents like that in the main show we have absolutely no problem. I have a feeling that she will fit into the forum relaxed style very well. I'd like to see her more relaxed like that in the main show.

Ken
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wbm00 wrote: »
    Suzi Perry tweeted to say they're remixing the BBC titles in response to feedback about loud engine noises over The Chain:

That therefore make's it an excellent title sequence. Good to see they really listen to criticism.

Ken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    wbm00 wrote: »

Good to see they're listening to feedback. It's a good title sequence otherwise, easily the best they've had since they came back, so if they can sort the mix out they'll be sitting pretty.
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The new Sky Sports F1 show 'F1 Midweek Report': http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8578687/f1-midweek-report Except no one knows about it, because:

That guy who found that programme must be a genius! :D: Anyway, Sky are bloody mad to make a programme and not bother to promote it.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davedpg wrote: »
    That guy who found that programme must be a genius! :D: Anyway, Sky are bloody mad to make a programme and not bother to promote it.

A Sky web team editor mentioned it here: https://twitter.com/skysportspete/status/314314737573830656

But 2,000 followers does not equal over 200,000 followers in the case of their main account.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Malaysia is a late start too. There's a good chance that these will always be highlight races on BBC, and possibly elsewhere in Europe where there's a FTA/Pay deal.

So the late race slot to suit European TV doesn't make huge sense anymore since the biggest audience is always likely to be the FTA one.

Right. So I think what you are trying to say is that because the larger audience will be watching the highlights programme in the afternoon - the race times should move back to the afternoon local time?

Whilst ignoring the fact, that the broadcasters who are showing it live and exclusive, are the ones who are signing the biggest cheques to Bernie.
    And if they want the Asia/Australia races at breakfast time in Europe, with the money they are paying for the rights, he's not likely to go and upset them, putting the 5 red lights out in the middle of the night is he?

Actually, I quite liked the 6am start time last weekend.

However, whilst Sky (and it's European cousins) keep picking off the live pay tv rights - and RTL retain the live FTA in Germany, that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Much more likely in a couple of years, is the lights used in Singapore could be flown to Melbourne, and you could have an 8pm local race, (11am UK/12pm CET) under the bulbs.

I will agree with you about this weekend's starting slap bang in the middle of the afternoon (local) and putting in the dangerzone for a red flag worrying show stopping monsoon downpour.

This race should be moved back at least hour, to give the race a fair chance of going the distance.
  • thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    MartS wrote: »
    Right. So I think what you are trying to say is that because the larger audience will be watching the highlights programme in the afternoon - the race times should move back to the afternoon local time?

I WAS saying that - you grasp well. Also, the drivers don't like racing into the twilight - with low sun dazzling them and lower light/visibilty levels.
    And those who choose to pay to watch are maybe more likely to watch live whatever the time. Comments welcome from subscribers on that point.
    You're also correct suggesting the biggest payer will win out on race times. Because money comes before viewer numbers.
  • BouffontBouffont Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Found this nice little video on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21875453

If Suzi presents like that in the main show we have absolutely no problem. I have a feeling that she will fit into the forum relaxed style very well. I'd like to see her more relaxed like that in the main show.

Ken

A great video indeed - but is it just me.... why is it so hard to find videos on the BBC F1 site? A section entitled videos with all videos in chronological order would be easy.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    I can see it all going Indycar in a few years if Bernie isn't careful

I can't. And I doubt even the most ardent Indycar fan would expect it either.
    DanielF wrote: »

I only noticed "Gorsjean"
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Sky putting alot of free to view video content on their website, much more than last year, fair play to them.
  • chrisf1fanchrisf1fan Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

It was mentioned on the Sky Sports F1 Facebook page a dayy or 2 ago.
This discussion has been closed.