Options

Does Anyone Like Gary Barlow as a Judge/Mentor?

Comments

• Options
    Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    PetitFliou wrote: »
    His acts all have good things to say about him, which I think says something.

I don't think you can judge on what kind of a mentor he is, as it's all behind-the-scenes.

However, if you're basing it on something, how about jogging/training with Craig, and sending a nutritionist to give him a customised diet? [And it was Craig who mentioned wanting to lose weight.]

Look at Kelly choosing Janet over Jade. That was an awful decision, but doesn't make her a bad judge/mentor.

I think he's a great judge. It's very refreshing to have judges who actually know what they're talking about.
    That's pretty much the norm, and hardly something which marks him out from any of the others.

It's pretty hard to miss how he's favoured Craig and fobbed Marcus off with poor songs.

Is that to help Craig, or to make his act more marketable?

Hardly. Her mistake was choosing Sophie, both at judges' houses and then again at the end of the first live show. Yet once she had her, she turned her into a balladeering cake decoration clad in her mother's old clothes.

I don't think insulting people is any evidence of that. I'm sure his apologists would play the pseudo-Cowell honesty card, but commenting on what the acts are wearing or whether they can dance or not is hypocritical on top of being irrelevant.
    Only ONE of Misha's performances was better than her initial audition - Proud Mary - where thankfully they'd persuaded the stylists NOT to put some item from the bakery on top of her head.
    It wouldn't have happened if she'd not been in the bottom two the week before that though, would it? I think that was her weakest performance so far, in any case.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't have happened if she'd not been in the bottom two the week before that though, would it? I think that was her weakest performance so far, in any case.

I think I remember this performance more though as it was the only one where I wasn't distracted by the godawful styling thats gone on with Misha. She looked more relaxed and I actually liked the talking intro (I think I'm the only one that did!)
  • Options
    Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    I think I remember this performance more though as it was the only one where I wasn't distracted by the godawful styling thats gone on with Misha. She looked more relaxed and I actually liked the talking intro (I think I'm the only one that did!)
    I didn't like the intro, but yes, it was nice to see what was underneath the Blue Peter approximation of Grace Jones. And to hear her speak in real sentences afterwards, too.
  • Options
    bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garry is just an awful human being. He is beyond arrogant and looks down on others.
    Just look at how he treats Louis and everyone who disagrees with him.
    He only "respects" Kelly cause she's kissing his ass big time.
    I thought he'd be good but he disappointed me from the start. First with his badly scripted lines and then when his true persona came through.

I'm sorry how can you call him an awful human being, have you met the guy :rolleyes:

And as for only having respect for Kelly, he must have respect for Tulisa as well as he has included her and put her as the lead singer in his children in need single!

i think he is doing a great job. Yes he did mess up with Frankie but like he said he wasn't the only one who encouraged him to 'misbehave!'
    I hope he is back as a judge next year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bexmil89 wrote: »
    i think he is doing a great job. Yes he did mess up with Frankie but like he said he wasn't the only one who encouraged him to 'misbehave!'
    I hope he is back as a judge next year

Sorry Bex but by no stretch of the imagination is he doing a 'great' job. Also - of those four people on the panel - it was ONLY Gary encouraging him to misbehave. And how dare he try and palm ANY blame at all on to Louis! Gary is one of those people who likes to cover his arse. He doesn't like the take sole ownership of crap decisions - he believes in shared guilt. In fact - scrap that - he doesn't feel guilty at all - he doesn't give a shit about Frankie - he's just glad someone has got him out of this awful hole he'd dug himself in by choosing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Bex but by no stretch of the imagination is he doing a 'great' job. Also - of those four people on the panel - it was ONLY Gary encouraging him to misbehave. And how dare he try and palm ANY blame at all on to Louis! Gary is one of those people who likes to cover his arse. He doesn't like the take sole ownership of crap decisions - he believes in shared guilt. In fact - scrap that - he doesn't feel guilty at all - he doesn't give a shit about Frankie - he's just glad someone has got him out of this awful hole he'd dug himself in by choosing him.

Well in the first audition they said that they loved his personality! Did any of the other judges tell Frankie to stop going out, err no! They may not have told him to carry on but they didn't say he should stop!
    And tbh I think the production team are also to blame for the whole Frankie thing, not just Gary. if anything they are more to blame as they followed him round with cameras when we went out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial impression of Gary was that he did a better job of playing Simon Cowell than Simon himself does.

I've cooled a bit to him and Kelly during the live shoes (Tulisa has IMO been fantastic in her constructive criticism and critique of the performances), but overall he's been a solid "B", with potential for an "A"
  • Options
    Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garry is just an awful human being. He is beyond arrogant and looks down on others.
    Just look at how he treats Louis and everyone who disagrees with him.
    He only "respects" Kelly cause she's kissing his ass big time.
    I thought he'd be good but he disappointed me from the start. First with his badly scripted lines and then when his true persona came through.

Harsh but true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but anyone who has called Gary an awful human being are just being ignorant as they don't know him personally so they are just going by what they see on tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's had a bit of a stinker so far. Mostly thanks to Frankie. If Gary was a football player, he'd have been substituted.
  • Options
    Too CloseToo Close Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand the man awful human being!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Close wrote: »
    Can't stand the man awful human being!

He is not an awful human being, OTT much :rolleyes: do you now know how much he has done for charity!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benami311 wrote: »
    My initial impression of Gary was that he did a better job of playing Simon Cowell than Simon himself does.

I've cooled a bit to him and Kelly during the live shoes (Tulisa has IMO been fantastic in her constructive criticism and critique of the performances), but overall he's been a solid "B", with potential for an "A"

I'd agree. Sometimes Tulisa drives me bonkers but other times she seems so much more mature and intelligent than either Kelly or Gary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I really liked him in the auditions. I'm not liking him in the live shows though, that could be because I really don't like any of his acts though.

He did go down in my estimations though when he confessed to the lie for Frankie, he shouldn't have lied in the first place.

Also it REALLY annoys me when he turns to the crowd and makes over exaggerated motions to get them cheering for his acts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is not an awful human being, OTT much :rolleyes: do you now know how much he has done for charity!?

I couldn't give a toss he has showed on the X Factor what kind of person he is, can't stand the man and you won't make me change my opinion on him he is a cretin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Close wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss he has showed on the X Factor what kind of person he is, can't stand the man and you won't make me change my opinion on him he is a cretin!

I'm actually not trying to make you change your mind just stating that it is pretty small minded of you to judge him solely on x factor which he is still fairly new to!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh gawd! I was wondering when the old 'charidee' chestnut was going to be brought up. Yes - we all know about his charity work - Kili, CR, CIN, The Queens forthcoming diamond jubilee - the media can't let us bloody forget it. I have a lot more respect for people like Sandra Bullock and Kevin Costner, to name but a few, who just write a cheque out with minimum of fuss. Gary does his charidee work for two reasong (1) to make himself feel good and (2) it gives him maximum media exposure with minimum financial cost to himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. He strikes me as the kind of man who is completely in love with the sound of his own voice and the aura of his own self importance.
    He made a bad decision with Frankie, but instead of handling it with dignity and with grace, he attempted to palm the blame off on to others, despite being quoted as saying he wasn't going to put a stop to or attempt to kerb Frankie's behaviour. He'd probably try to place the blame on the other contestants for not trying to calm Frankie down during their time with him in the X Factor house if he thought he could get away with it.
    The Frankie saga has completely overshadowed Gary's other two, far superior acts, not to mention the others still in the competition. If Gary had any sense he'd zip up and start working harder to improve Craig and Marcus instead of blithering about how Frankie is some misunderstood prodigy who is just years before his time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually not trying to make you change your mind just stating that it is pretty small minded of you to judge him solely on x factor which he is still fairly new to!

In the words of Louie Walsh - "I'll say what I like" :cool:

He knew how the public would react to him taking the job. You might be a fan of his I can't stand the bloke his backing of Frankie being one of the key reasons I dislike him, so you stick to what you think about him and I will stick to what I think about him!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    LovePink wrote: »
    it REALLY annoys me when he turns to the crowd and makes over exaggerated motions to get them cheering for his acts.

This really annoys me too. It makes him look like a real idiot :rolleyes:

I am have never been a fan of his, I always thought of him as the boring one of TT. Yes he can write songs and sing but he doesn't come across as having any personality.

When I heard he was going to be a judge I thought he would be boring and I am not wrong. But I didn't realise he would be nasty as well as boring.

Gary 'Mr No Personality' Barlow has sold his soul to the devil (syco) and has lost any credibility that he ever had :rolleyes:
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    extremely unattractive in looks and personality and a rubbish judge. Not unique in anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him but he has exercised poor judgement in the debacle that was Frankie Cocockrot.

Cokerot

coco doesnt get you that high.
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    I do agree with a lot of what he says, but it's how he says it that I find quite harsh.

I hate how on the xtra factor, if any caller asked him a question he didn't like, he would avoid answering directly. He should have been a politician!

And of course his attitude to Frankie was beyond baffling. This is a respected and a talented singer/songwriter trying to convince us Frankie could sing?!

I admit I don't like how he speaks to Louis, he's a bit of a hypocrite telling Louis not to be nasty to his acts whilst telling Louis acts that they look cheap, can't dance and are cruise ship singers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of Gary or Take That but he seems to be the only one on the panel who seems to say what I'm thinking just like Dannii used to so for that reason, he's my favourite and I think the most dedicated mentor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh, he's alright. Probably my second favourite on the panel behind Kelly. I don't really see people's big problem with him. And diss him as a mentor all you like but he guided 3 mediocre (in Frankie's case, worse than mediocre) males through until Tuesday, which isn't a bad effort. I'm sure the two he's left with now will go reasonably far as well.