Options

Subscriber name change

LankyLanky Posts: 252
Forum Member
My parents have subscribed to Sky for more than 10 years. The account has always been in my dad's name. A few weeks ago he died and I want to change the subscription into my mother's name. Before I do so I want to explore if there are any other options open rather than just ringing Sky and asking them to change the name. I was thinking that perhaps others in similar situations had cancelled the existing subs and then taken out a new one in the other person's name, thus gaining whatever offers were going for new subscribers.
Anybody any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think you would be better off cancelling the existing account and signing back up in a diffrent name as a new subscriber
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daniel99 wrote: »
    i think you would be better off cancelling the existing account and signing back up in a diffrent name as a new subscriber

Think you'll find that is their only choice, Sky will not transfer a sub from 1 name to another, for any reason.

To OP, sorry bout your dad, you'll have to ring Sky to cancel that account, then go online and order as a new subscriber, and get whatever deals are about.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condolences for your loss Lanky.

I know how hard it can be to clear up such matters following the loss of a parent.

With that in mind your least painful option will probably be to phone Sky, explain the situation and let them transfer the account (i.e. the existing setup) into your mothers name.

As already mentioned the account will likely have to be cancelled and set up as a new account in your mothers name, however, Customer Services should be able to do that with minimal fuss and input from either you or your mother.

Presumably, as your mother would be opening a 'new' account i can't think of any reason why she wouldn't be entitled to offers that any other 'new' subscriber would be entitled to.

Having never dealt specifically with Sky following a family bereavement i'd be gratefull if you could let us know how you get on.

Best regards.
  • Options
    beatlesaintbeatlesaint Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think you'll find that is their only choice, Sky will not transfer a sub from 1 name to another, for any reason.

Yes they will. My mother's partner died a few weeks ago and I rang Sky for her, explained the situation, told them she wished to carry on the subscription so they put me through to the relevant department and name change, direct debit details and onlne account were all changed there and then on the phone.

Of all the major companies one has to deal with when there is a death and accounts need to be changed Sky have been by far the easiest and most straightforward to deal with.

They get a fair amount of criticism from some quarters but credit where credit is due. In instances like this they are excellent.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of all the major companies one has to deal with when there is a death and accounts need to be changed Sky have been by far the easiest and most straightforward to deal with.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, little comfort i know, but hopefully it might reassure others in future.

Best regards.