Do the BBC (or any other broadcasters) have emergency broadcasting facilities?

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
In the event of a national crisis and Broadcasting House was somehow not able to broadcast, do the BBC have a secret bunker to do programming from?

Comments

• PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    In the event of a national crisis and Broadcasting House was somehow not able to broadcast, do the BBC have a secret bunker to do programming from?

Obviously, yes.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    Obviously, yes.

It's called Millbank. Before the BBC ran down Birmingham as a production centre it was Pebble Mill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It's called Millbank. Before the BBC ran down Birmingham as a production centre it was Pebble Mill.

I'd have thought any of their regional centres could serve this purpose? In a worst case scenario, i'm pretty sure their international basis could upload via satellite and be distributed through the various platforms back in the UK, providing the infrastructure remained in situ and functional?
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has premises and facilities all around the country so it's inconceivable that they couldn't cobble something together in a dire emergency. However they have arrangements for some of the more likely scenarios.

The playout/presentation operation (now operated by RedBee Media) is based in the Broadcast Centre near TV Centre. This can run unattended for some time if the building was evacuated although it wouldn't have announcements etc. RedBee have a permanently staffed back up facility elsewhere which can take over if the Broadcast Centre goes down. This facility has replaced Pebble Mill as the backup location although it's been speculated that Birmingham can have a role in getting the back up centre routed to air in some circumstances.

BBC News uses Millbank (aka BBC Westminster) as its backup location, as has been demonstrated in recent times when TVC had a power cut and when somebody tried to blow the place up.

ITN also use their Millbank studio as a backup location, they did a News at Ten from there a couple of years ago when there was a power cut - and were quite glad of the preceding football match going to extra time!

ITV has two playout centres in London and Leeds, if either fails the other can run the whole country albeit with reduced regional news - IIRC when London playout had problems Central provided a bulletin for the southern half of the country.

Channel 4 had a backup playout facility which they used when Horseferry Road had to be closed due to a gas leak, I think they've outsourced their playout to RedBee now so those arrangements will have changed, but I'd be pretty confident there is still a backup.

Not all broadcasters have back-ups - notably Bid TV and Price Drop have a lot of eggs in one basket and have fallen off air due to power cuts on several occasions.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    PeterB wrote: »
    Obviously, yes.

Thanks for the curt reply. Thanks everyone else for the details. What would someone like Sky do in an emergency situation - they have Osterley, but aside from that, they're kind of stuck.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the curt reply. Thanks everyone else for the details. What would someone like Sky do in an emergency situation - they have Osterley, but aside from that, they're kind of stuck.

It is fairly obvious that anyone who does the know the full details is not going to give them in a public forum.

It is still difficult to get the full story of arrangements during the Cold War, bits are known I have never seen the full story published anywhere and there are various aspects that are unclear because very few knew more than what they needed to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only BBC ''bunker'' I am aware of is at Wood Norton near Stratford. It was hastily constructed in 1939 when war broke out and was equipped as an emergency centre had the BBC been unable to broadcast from London.It still exists and was used to film some scenes for a Dr Who episode. Wood Norton is now the home of BBC engineering training. The BBC also moved many light entertainment programmes to Bangor in north Wales including the famous ITMA, the most popular show of the era.But despite being bombed more than once the BBC continued to broadcast from BH throughout the war.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Leicestershire county councils bunker used to have a direct line to the BBC Radio Leicester transmitter, not sure if that is still the case
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be a bunker of sorts under Broadcasting House, known as the Stronghold. That was removed when the extension was knocked down as part of the more recent extension to house the news centre.

Many local authority bunkers had BBC studios - some are still used as contribution studios for the local radio stations.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would someone like Sky do in an emergency situation - they have Osterley, but aside from that, they're kind of stuck.

No they're not, far from it. They have a very well equipped back up site a couple of hours outside London
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only BBC ''bunker'' I am aware of is at Wood Norton near Stratford. It was hastily constructed in 1939 when war broke out and was equipped as an emergency centre had the BBC been unable to broadcast from London.It still exists and was used to film some scenes for a Dr Who episode. Wood Norton is now the home of BBC engineering training. The BBC also moved many light entertainment programmes to Bangor in north Wales including the famous ITMA, the most popular show of the era.But despite being bombed more than once the BBC continued to broadcast from BH throughout the war.

The bunker at Wood Norton is Cold War.

The BBC sold off much of the site, the house is a posh hotel.
  • DoNotDisturbDoNotDisturb Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The BBC has premises and facilities all around the country so it's inconceivable that they couldn't cobble something together in a dire emergency. However they have arrangements for some of the more likely scenarios.

The playout/presentation operation (now operated by RedBee Media) is based in the Broadcast Centre near TV Centre. This can run unattended for some time if the building was evacuated although it wouldn't have announcements etc. RedBee have a permanently staffed back up facility elsewhere which can take over if the Broadcast Centre goes down. This facility has replaced Pebble Mill as the backup location although it's been speculated that Birmingham can have a role in getting the back up centre routed to air in some circumstances.

BBC News uses Millbank (aka BBC Westminster) as its backup location, as has been demonstrated in recent times when TVC had a power cut and when somebody tried to blow the place up.

ITN also use their Millbank studio as a backup location, they did a News at Ten from there a couple of years ago when there was a power cut - and were quite glad of the preceding football match going to extra time!

ITV has two playout centres in London and Leeds, if either fails the other can run the whole country albeit with reduced regional news - IIRC when London playout had problems Central provided a bulletin for the southern half of the country.

Channel 4 had a backup playout facility which they used when Horseferry Road had to be closed due to a gas leak, I think they've outsourced their playout to RedBee now so those arrangements will have changed, but I'd be pretty confident there is still a backup.

Not all broadcasters have back-ups - notably Bid TV and Price Drop have a lot of eggs in one basket and have fallen off air due to power cuts on several occasions.
    No skin off my nose! :D I'd much rather Bid TV etc goes completely off air than any of the broadcasters like the BBC or Channel 4 etc! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The bunker at Wood Norton is Cold War.

The BBC sold off much of the site, the house is a posh hotel.

Nup, there are actually two bunkers. One is in the hillside and was operational in 1939. Apart from being an emergency control centre for the BBC it also monitored foreign (ie German) broadcasts. A second bunker was built in 1966 under what is now called Bredon Wing but - again - never saw action.I agree it's a posh hotel, I once had the pleasure of dining there:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nup, there are actually two bunkers. One is in the hillside and was operational in 1939. Apart from being an emergency control centre for the BBC it also monitored foreign (ie German) broadcasts. A second bunker was built in 1966 under what is now called Bredon Wing but - again - never saw action.I agree it's a posh hotel, I once had the pleasure of dining there:D

I attended a wedding reception there in 2001, a pint of Guinness was the best part of a fiver, and that was before the refurb !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I attended a wedding reception there in 2001, a pint of Guinness was the best part of a fiver, and that was before the refurb !

Thankfully when I stayed there someone else was paying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully when I stayed there someone else was paying

Good idea ! I'm glad we weren't staying there, we got a taxi back to a Travelodge !
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Times have change and a scenario where the whole country is compromised is vary far fetched now. Obviously the odd power cut, gas leak and bomb scare means they should always have a back up, it might just be that an important piece of equipment fails.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    I recall Chris Evans saying something about this when he owned Virgin Radio.

Apparently several commercial radio outfits shared the cost of an emergency broadcast studio out side London.

So he asked "who got to use it if something major happened" ...

Answer was- "first one to get there gets the studio".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I recall Chris Evans saying something about this when he owned Virgin Radio.

Apparently several commercial radio outfits shared the cost of an emergency broadcast studio out side London.

So he asked "who got to use it if something major happened" ...

Answer was- "first one to get there gets the studio".

Presumably Global Radio, owners of Classic FM, LBC, and Heart, Smooth, and Capital branded local stations could broadcast from any of the provincial studio centres and IP distribution network used by Heart and Capital should their Leicester Sq building suffer a catastrophe ?
  • commsengcommseng Posts: 5,548
    Forum Member
    Just to give you an idea of what levels of back up are in place, when I was in BBC Network Radio there was not just one single backup. There are various different locations, some of which are in different buildings, but very close by, and some slightly further away which would be available at very short notice.

The ultimate standard fall back was that everything would come from Pebble Mill (which dates it) should central London have a major emergency (possibly flooding prior to the Thames Barrier).

On top of that would have been the highly secretive back up systems to provide a very basic news service if there was a national emergency.

I do not know what systems are in place now, nor would I be posting details here if I did, but that should give an idea as to how seriously the all the various eventualities are considered to make sure the transmitters keep radiating something.
  • Sam WalkerSam Walker Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Their current backup studio in London is BBC Westminster. They also use the former HQ of London Weekend Television for some of their programmes so I'd imagine they'd use that as well. MediaCity would be their Northern base I guess.
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the likes of the BBC would cope ok - despite all the complexities of modern TV systems - you could rig up a few cameras with a SNG van nearly anywhere if things turned very bad. Don't forget Salford too....
    ...What I would worry more about is broadcasters and society in generals reliance on outsourced IT systems and "The Internet" in general - I suspect Telehouse Docklands is *far* more critical to keeping on air in a bad situation rather than the mechanics of finding a room to use as a studio.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    During the cold war Peter Donaldson who was a news reader on BBC Radio Four, recorded an announcement that would have been broadcast on all BBC and Independent radio and tv stations in the 4 minutes prior to a nuclear attack.
    You can find out about how the UK might have been affected by a nuclear war by visiting http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/features/sfs/
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    a “struggle for survival of the grimmest kind”.

HA HA 1955 speak.

Nowadays we would say: Run or your face will melt off and the world will exit via your arse! :D
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if there was a major incident at the BT Tower? Now that would surely cause major disruption.