Options

Favourite War Films?

goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because I didn't learn much about either WW1 or WW2 at school I really like (if that's the right word) war films. I'm usually quite a girly female.

Some of my favourites are Valkyrie, Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day and one about the Battle of the Bulge (?) where a U.S. General is supposed to have replied 'Nuts' to calls for surrender, Battle of Britain, the Douglas Bader film and the Great Escape.

I wondered if other people liked such films or are they a bit old fashioned now,

Comments

• Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Though not as regular on the release calender as perhaps it once was, war has provided us with some of the best cinema there's been.

On the one hand you can have serious, artistic masterpieces that look head-on at the brutality, inhumanity and consequences of it all (All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Come and See, The Deer Hunter etc).

And on the other you can have hokey wartime action/adventure, full of rat-a-tat machine guns and comic book nazis (Where Eagles Dare etc).

Old-fashioned be damned. They're both fine with me.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few.

Also a few favourite tv series.......

Colditz (1972)
    Band of Brothers
    Danger UXB
    Secret Army
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Serious war movie: Paths of Glory
    Fun war movie: Where Eagles Dare
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Bat 21
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paths of Glory
    The Thin Red Line
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some of us the films were what we saw when we were kids, so watching them again is fun and nostalgia at the same time. You also need to realise that we went to the cinema weekly, and often there were two films on in a show, so war films were scattered everywhere. It was still a post-war world well into the 1960s, so gung-ho patriotic films hadn't been overtaken by 'MASH' and 'Catch-22' yet.

I remember seeing 'Battle of the Bulge' on the biggest screen I've ever seen - saw 'Lawrence of Arabia' there the following week and that has never left me either.

Leaving the usual airforce stuff and general war films, I'll just add that submarine films were a great sub-genre that gets ignored these days: 'Run silent, run deep' and 'We dive at dawn', and the naval movies: 'Sink the Scharnhorst' and Nicholas Monserrat adaptations - 'The Cruel Sea' and 'The Ship that Died of Shame'
    A personal favourite that never gets shown any more: 'Murphy's War' - and I've just remembered tv's 'The Desert Rats'

For me though the best war movie ever is 'Ice Cold in Alex'. It makes me want a beer right now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some of us the films were what we saw when we were kids, so watching them again is fun and nostalgia at the same time. You also need to realise that we went to the cinema weekly, and often there were two films on in a show, so war films were scattered everywhere. It was still a post-war world well into the 1960s, so gung-ho patriotic films hadn't been overtaken by 'MASH' and 'Catch-22' yet.

I remember seeing 'Battle of the Bulge' on the biggest screen I've ever seen - saw 'Lawrence of Arabia' there the following week and that has never left me either.

Leaving the usual airforce stuff and general war films, I'll just add that submarine films were a great sub-genre that gets ignored these days: 'Run silent, run deep' and 'We dive at dawn', and the naval movies: 'Sink the Scharnhorst' and Nicholas Monserrat adaptations - 'The Cruel Sea' and 'The Ship that Died of Shame'
    A personal favourite that never gets shown any more: 'Murphy's War' - and I've just remembered tv's 'The Desert Rats'

For me though the best war movie ever is 'Ice Cold in Alex'. It makes me want a beer right now :D

Aha! I forgot that one - John Mills so great!
  • Options
    MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Escape to Victory but Saving Private Ryan tops the lot
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Before I opened this thread I too wa going to nominate Ice Cold in Alex. Also taking place in wartime but without direct action Casablanca takes some beating.

Apocalypse Now is a good take on Vietnam probably the first war to get regular TV coverage and some of the photo journalists deserved medals for their honest depiction of the horrors.

My late father said that nothing could ever show the true nature of war in the form of entertainment but the opening scene in Private Ryan must have come close.

(An afterthought - Das Boot. Tension throughout and a finale you just did not see coming)
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in a military family and all my father and brother ever seemed to watch were war films. So I sort of started to resent that a bit.

However, I LOVE Full Metal Jacket and am looking forward to Fury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally i prefer prisoner of war films but 'we were soldiers' is one of my favourites. not ww1/2 mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Before I opened this thread I too wa going to nominate Ice Cold in Alex. Also taking place in wartime but without direct action Casablanca takes some beating.

Apocalypse Now is a good take on Vietnam probably the first war to get regular TV coverage and some of the photo journalists deserved medals for their honest depiction of the horrors.

My late father said that nothing could ever show the true nature of war in the form of entertainment but the opening scene in Private Ryan must have come close.

(An afterthought - Das Boot. Tension throughout and a finale you just did not see coming)

I watched it properly from the beginning just lately on TV and confess it was difficult to watch as they landed on Omaha Beach but I stuck with it though it was hard. I'm glad I watched the film the whole way through - excellent, and thought provoking.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midsblue wrote: »
    Escape to Victory but Saving Private Ryan tops the lot

I like the contrast! :D

An incomplete list.

Von Ryans Express
    Kelly's Heroes
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Bridge at Remargen
    Sink the Bismark!
    The Dam Busters (just such a shame the climax features the worst SFX ever)
    The Train
    The McKenzie Break
    Night of the Generals

I find the really long films tend to disappoint in the end (sore bum syndrome)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »

Apocalypse Now along with Platoon are probably the best Vietnam movies. I don't think The Deer hunter is as good.

Dr. Strangelove is an excellent cold war movie satire. And Schindler's List would be my favourite WWII movie.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    Because I didn't learn much about either WW1 or WW2 at school I really like (if that's the right word) war films. I'm usually quite a girly female.

Some of my favourites are Valkyrie, Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day and one about the Battle of the Bulge (?) where a U.S. General is supposed to have replied 'Nuts' to calls for surrender, Battle of Britain, the Douglas Bader film and the Great Escape.

I wondered if other people liked such films or are they a bit old fashioned now,

If you've never seen The Cruel Sea then I would recommend that. One of the greatest British war movies ever, not jingoistic unlike most American films and the book is a good read as well.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope and glory
    Winter in Wartime
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downfall - German movie, gives an insight into Hitler and the Third Reich's last days. Brilliant, tense, horrific.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Max Manus: Man of War
    The Front Line
    Dark of the Sun
    The Flowers of War
    Welcome to Dongmakgol
    71 Into the Fire
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Red Cliff
    Inglourious Basterds
    Musa, the Warrior
    Black Book
    Zulu
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    G. I. Samurai
    Brotherhood
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I think Saving Private Ryan is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated. So glad the apple cart got upset and it didn't win best picture. My top ten would be in no real order:

The Thin Red Line
    Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    The Great Escape
    Enemy At The Gates
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Bridge Over The River Kwai
    We Were Soldiers
    Inglourious Basterds
    Breaker Morant
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten I particularly like:-

Sea of Sand
    Stalag 17
    The Great Escape
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Dirty Dozen
    Attack (1956) - Eddie Albert and Jack Palance are great in this one.
    Where Eagles Dare
    Battle of Britain
    Paths of Glory

but my favourite is......

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Which takes place over a forty year time span.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Cross Of Iron is worth a look.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    Cross Of Iron is worth a look.

Regards

Mark

Great movie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    The Dirty Dozen
    Stalag 17
    Von Ryan's Express
    The Great Escape
    Platoon
    Ice Cold in Alex
    Band of Brothers
    The Pacific
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Not a favourite genre of mine, but as long as the film presents something different to the usual tropes, then I'm game. I think all of these have been mentioned, but I'll just add to the noise:

All Quiet on the Western Front
    Paths of Glory
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    Downfall
    Das Boot
    Come and See
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Ice Cold in Alex
    Cross of Iron
    Stalingrad
    Dr Strangelove
    Black Book
    Gallipoli
    Valkyrie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Downfall - German movie, gives an insight into Hitler and the Third Reich's last days. Brilliant, tense, horrific.

I agree - very good film. I've read some stuff by people who were in the bunker then including Traudl Junge's account. Downfall was how I imagined it, mostly.

One thing that got me thinking though - I've heard a recording of Hitler's conversational voice which was actually a warm baritone - I know he used to have horrific temper tantrums, ranting and raving. I think maybe his day to day voice, as opposed to his speech making one, could be gentler and obviously persuasive as some people who met him thought he was a nice guy and a good boss :confused: I notice the actor kept Hitler's speaking voice quite harsh.

I read something by the (Swiss?) actor who played Hitler in Downfall - asked about Hitler's voice he said he had a definite Austrian accent mixed with military German.