Options

I feel somewhat ashamed over my affair with a travelling girl

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
For the last 2 months, I have been seeing this girl, who is a member of the travelling community. We met by chance as I was dog walking for an elderly man I visit twice a week, and she was down by the river writing poetry and knitting things that she sells. One of the dogs grabbed a scarf and ran off with it. I was apologetic and gave her the scarf back, and we started chatting. Since then we meet down by the river on Sunday evenings, chatting, writing poetry and holding hands.

The problem is I'm not a traveller, and if her father or brothers found out about us, they would either shun her, or, beat the living daylights out of me. These people are rather protective over their own kind. She is 18 years old, and she should really be married by now, and her father is trying to pressure her into marrying another traveller, who she dislikes as he is a bit of a yob, likes a drink etc.

Have you ever been in a situation where you were dating someone, and either your family or their family didn't approve, despite you being a good match?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    No I haven't.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the last 2 months, I have been seeing this girl, who is a member of the travelling community. We met by chance as I was dog walking for an elderly man I visit twice a week, and she was down by the river writing poetry and knitting things that she sells. One of the dogs grabbed a scarf and ran off with it. I was apologetic and gave her the scarf back, and we started chatting. Since then we meet down by the river on Sunday evenings, chatting, writing poetry and holding hands.
    Was it all in slow motion in black and white with a blurry filter on the camera?
    Were you strumming a lute?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,949
    Forum Member
    I think you should stick to walking the old man's dog.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Have your dog wear a red neckerchief, they'll think you're one of them.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Buy the father a David Essex CD.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the problem is you not being a traveller.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this has Sunday night drama written all over, pity born and bred has finished
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason the OP made me think immediately of this song :D

http://youtu.be/Jv_b2j1N_1w
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    For some reason the OP made me think immediately of this song :D

http://youtu.be/Jv_b2j1N_1w

Lol - For some reason I instantly thought of "The Day I Met Marie" by Cliff Richard. :D
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Lol - For some reason I instantly thought of "The Day I Met Marie" by Cliff Richard. :D

I thought of clothes pegs and lucky heather.

Edit: Now I'm thinking of dags. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSnua3M2lo
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know wether to believe this. /:
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,463
    Forum Member
    Is she a real gypsy, who dances and rides a horse, or just one of those Irish types who ruin council owned fields?
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy the father a David Essex CD.

Weirdly I just posted about David Essex in another thread. David will be doing well on google search today.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weirdly I just posted about David Essex in another thread. David will be doing well on google search today.

What was that programme he was in where he was a lock keeper? That was alright. My mum liked it as well, I think she fancied him as her bit of rough. :blush:
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Don't worry too much. Just sharpen up the macho side of your technique.

Find a pallet, get your mates to clap - she and her family will be putty in your expressive fingers.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l80VMgGkVSc

ETA. You must buy the correct shoes or everything will hurt.

Michael Flatley could be proud of you. Forget the poetry.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,310
    Forum Member

The problem is I'm not a traveller, and if her father or brothers found out about us, they would either shun her, or, beat the living daylights out of me. These people are rather protective over their own kind. She is 18 years old, and she should really be married by now, and her father is trying to pressure her into marrying another traveller, who she dislikes as he is a bit of a yob, likes a drink etc.

Have you ever been in a situation where you were dating someone, and either your family or their family didn't approve, despite you being a good match?

If she dies than this becomes a Midsomer Murders episode, right?
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    dee, please - it's Christmas :kitty:

She won't die.

If he follows my instructions she'll be madly hypnotised by him but he'd better get a move on and stop mooning about with poetry.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Yes. Probably everybody.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    D.DotA wrote: »
    I don't know wether to believe this. /:

It's cool story bro written all over, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An affair is not holding hands.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    What was that programme he was in where he was a lock keeper? That was alright. My mum liked it as well, I think she fancied him as her bit of rough. :blush:

The River
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    You forgot the most important detail......her name? :confused:
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I think you should stick to walking the old man's dog.

Is this a euphemism, Welsh-lad?:D
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she live in one of those gaily coloured horse-drawn caravans, have long flowing locks and wear a loose-fitting white summer dress?
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is the plot of a new Richard Curtis movie then God help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!