This Week after Question Time

tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone watch this last night?

Lily Allen was on talking about why "young people" are depressed and not happy with thier life and everything that has come out of the Unicef report being the voice of the "yoof" culture - allegedly.

When they questioned her they were obviously of the opinion that she speaks for the council estates of Britian. She looked out of her depth when she was in the studio. She also alluded to the fact that one of the main reasons of a high rate of teenage pregnancy is that the girl needs someone to love because she hasn't been loved. Not sure about that one.

Portillo and Abbott were fairly patronising I thought especially when they both said teenagers are supposed to be depressed. I thought politicians view of teenagers had changed over years but obviously not *shakes head*

Comments

• natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tarotangel wrote:
    She also alluded to the fact that one of the main reasons of a high rate of teenage pregnancy is that the girl needs someone to love because she hasn't been loved. Not sure about that one.

It is something i have heard before, i can see it being quite plausible for some cases.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tarotangel wrote:
    Did anyone watch this last night?

Lily Allen was on talking about why "young people" are depressed and not happy with thier life and everything that has come out of the Unicef report being the voice of the "yoof" culture - allegedly.

Didn't she go to an enormously posh and expensive public school?

Martin
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Martin

Indeed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Allen#Life

G
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is something i have heard before, i can see it being quite plausible for some cases.

I agree with that it is plausible for some cases but I don't see it as being a main reason though.
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member

Martin

She certainly went to several expensive private schools.
    She also has two career-driven parents, one of whom she didn't grow up with. I'm not a massive fan of Lily Allen, but I think her observations about kids growing up without seeing much of their parents were valid (Lily Allen also spent some time at boarding school).
    I also think she made a valid point about young people looking in estate agents' windows and thinking they'll never be able to afford their own place. When I was young, flats were going for around £30,000, and that was a struggle to cover. Salaries simply have not risen in line with house prices, and kids are now increasingly having to buy in groups and take mortgages out over a longer time period.
    We bemoan a society where the family has broken down and youths roam the streets like wild animals, yet the pressures on people simply to finance a roof over their heads are getting greater, all they have to sell is their time and this is time that they will not be spending with children of their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think she made a valid point about young people looking in estate agents' windows and thinking they'll never be able to afford their own place. When I was young, flats were going for around £30,000, and that was a struggle to cover. Salaries simply have not risen in line with house prices, and kids are now increasingly having to buy in groups and take mortgages out over a longer time period.
    We bemoan a society where the family has broken down and youths roam the streets like wild animals, yet the pressures on people simply to finance a roof over their heads are getting greater, all they have to sell is their time and this is time that they will not be spending with children of their own.

I did agreed with most of her points.

How many people actually used to buy houses though going back 30/40 years ago? There is a pressure that you have to buy your own house in this society, if you don't own your own house people look down their noses at you. Yes it is more secure if you own your own house but what are the full costs going to be?
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    tarotangel wrote:
    I did agreed with most of her points.

How many people actually used to buy houses though going back 30/40 years ago? There is a pressure that you have to buy your own house in this society, if you don't own your own house people look down their noses at you. Yes it is more secure if you own your own house but what are the full costs going to be?

Well part of the problem is that, in the 1980s, Margaret Thatcher pioneered the 'right' of people to own their own homes, which resulted in our huge resources of council house stock being sold off at rock bottom prices to their tenants. This was great news for the tenants who could afford it, but it's a trick you can only play once, and now there is very little council house stock, affordable housing is mainly in the hands of housing associations, and there's a lot less of it.
    Now, houses are more expensive than ever, and those 80s council houses that were virtually given away are desperately needed by the next generation. If I was starting out now, I'd feel pretty desperate. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that increasing numbers of this generation will have parents and grandparents who own property that they can inherit - but it's a long wait (and they'll have to pay a cut to the Government, which will probably mean selling up).
  • natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any single main reason, its a complicated issue like many others and looking for a headline grabbing reason is a waste of time.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tarotangel wrote:
    She also alluded to the fact that one of the main reasons of a high rate of teenage pregnancy is that the girl needs someone to love because she hasn't been loved. Not sure about that one.

That doesn't really answer the question why it's a lot higher here than many European countries
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with you The Swampster. I was going to put something similar but it would have ended up a long, long rant you put far better than I.

Marmite Baby: I thought Neil, Portillo and Abbot were questioning Lily like she had all the answers. They did go on to ask why but they didn't really come up with any answers themselves.
  • _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is any single main reason, its a complicated issue like many others and looking for a headline grabbing reason is a waste of time.

Indeed. Having said that, I'm a firm believer that self-image as influenced by many sources and a lack of parenting techniques taht can cope with the modern world without applying to the old are amongst the biggest problems - but that's far too fundamental for anyone to bother with.