Options

Failed - Powercut ? update?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
I came back from a weeks holiday on sunday to discover recordings from tuesday to thursday were Failed, stating powercut as the reason.:cry:

This is partly possible as we use a token meter for our electricity that ran out on tuesday, but the power was switched back on within a few minutes. (and definitley before my first scheduled recording)

Usually this doesn't have any adverse effect on recordings, although usually i'm there to switch the sky+ back on and check everything!

if the rest of the recordings had failed, i would put it down to the electric going and the box freaking out, but the recordings from friday and saturday have worked!:confused:

The box hadn't been touched friday as nobody else in the house uses it.

I just wonderered if maybe there was a software update tuesday that could have confused the box for a few days on top of the electicity being off for a few mins!??? I seem to remember reading that updates are usually tuesdays so i'm just taking a shot in the dark here!;)
I know it won't get my recordings back but it may help to explain it!

Oh, and today, after our token meter running out again :o my box has done the 'blue screen thing' it's quite fond of, and is currently unplugged to calm down and heal!:rolleyes:

THOMSON PVR3 by the way!
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    If the box runs into problems with the hard drive, it can cause the box to spontaneously reset (crash).
    On startup, the box software assumes a reset was caused by a power cut.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Also sky+/HD boxes are known to throw a wobbly when the power is lost. Personally I try everything to avoid this situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's not exactly ideal that our power goes out once in a while! (must keep the meter topped up!:))

I was more confused as to why it took three days to sort itself, or even why it DID sort itself!

Funny old things, sky+ boxes!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote: »
    Also sky+/HD boxes are known to throw a wobbly when the power is lost. Personally I try everything to avoid this situation.
    ..and then there are people like me that have their box on a timer. It never gets a full 24 hours of power and during the week actually spends more time unpowered than powered.

There was a time a couple of years ago when it used to get upset by this but of late I've found that it fixes the infamous "won't come out of standby" bug introduced by Anytime.