I love marmite.....

moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
Forum Member
✭✭
marmite on toast, marmite and cheese toasties / sandwiches, marmite crisps and rice cakes etc, is anyone else out there a marmite fan :o:D, please share your marmite receipes with me

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love marmite crisps but I hate marmite the spread!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jalabert wrote: »
    I love marmite crisps but I hate marmite the spread!
    My mother's exactly the same. She loves Mamite crisps but not Marmite spread.

I LOVE Marmite and often have it on toast/toasties and add it to a lot of the things I cook. Vegemite is very nice also.

:)
  • moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit i have never dared tried vegemite just in case it wasn't the same, does it taste just like marmite?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit i have never dared tried vegemite just in case it wasn't the same, does it taste just like marmite?
    It's sort of the same, though for me it doesn't taste as strong and doesn't have the runny consistency of Marmite. I think it's a lot more subtle but still as delicious. Treat yourself to a pot; what's the worst that could happen?! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're right, I may just give vegemite a go then, but have to admit squeezy runny marmite, in the squeezy jar / type things.....it's the future :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marmite on toast is fab.

Once I had to eat nothing for 24 hours (prior to a colonoscopy) and survived on drinks of just marmite dissolved in hot water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're right, I may just give vegemite a go then, but have to admit squeezy runny marmite, in the squeezy jar / type things.....it's the future :D
    It's a decision you won't regret! :D

I've not tried the squeezy Marmite jars yet; I'm still a glass jar luddite. :o I'll try one when I next need some Marmite, which should be very soon, as it goes!

:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Marmite. I once tried a supermarket own brand though and it wasn't the same, maybe vegemite is more like that?
  • the_red_devilthe_red_devil Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    marmite is lovely, cant beat it on a bit of toast mmmmm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marmite is lovely, cant beat it on a bit of toast mmmmm

really nice on crumpets too
  • Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marmite on toast is fab.

Once I had to eat nothing for 24 hours (prior to a colonoscopy) and survived on drinks of just marmite dissolved in hot water.

*vomit*
    Marmite is revolting.
  • GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Marmite on toast, Marmite crisps, and I also like Marmite on a jacket potato with beans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marmite with jam and cheese in a sandwich - my dad used to have it and so I tried it and its yummy. I used to have Marmite and Egg sandwiches in my packed lunch for school.
    I do get annoyed at the price of it, and can't find a reasonable alternative. I suppose the biggest jars are better value but it seems so much to spend on one item.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ew, tried it once and decided I hate marmite.

Although that was years ago, and I have developed a few more tastes since then (like Beer, Nuts, Toffee) so maybe its time for a re-taste.

Then again maybe not :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh Marmite is fantastic. I've got a big jar of it that I need to open up. Everyone I know who doesn't like marmite has either spread too much (a light scraping is best) on or eaten it with something ridiculous - rivita. Rivita is vile all by itself, spreading marmite on is not going to improve it. Heck you could spread jam on rivita and it would still taste vile.

Vegemite on the other hand was vile. It doesn't taste like marmite, nor the shops own brand marmite. This was years ago though, so they may have changed the recipe by now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad1 wrote: »
    Ooh Marmite is fantastic. I've got a big jar of it that I need to open up. Everyone I know who doesn't like marmite has either spread too much (a light scraping is best) on or eaten it with something ridiculous - rivita. Rivita is vile all by itself, spreading marmite on is not going to improve it. Heck you could spread jam on rivita and it would still taste vile.

Vegemite on the other hand was vile. It doesn't taste like marmite, nor the shops own brand marmite. This was years ago though, so they may have changed the recipe by now.

My ex said she did that the first time she had marmite - spread it on as you would butter or jam!

I like marmite, and having been losing weight I find it's good - a a couple of slices of wholewheat toast spread with a little marmite....the taste lingers all morning in the mouth and I don't feel hungry!
  • SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    Marmite on toast is fab.

Mmmm, I love a mug of Marmite :)
    really nice on crumpets too

My favourite way to eat it :)
    GinaGold wrote: »
    I love Marmite on toast, Marmite crisps, and I also like Marmite on a jacket potato with beans.

I used to love those Marmite crisps, wish they would make them vegan :(. Never thought to try Marmite on my JP & beans, (often put Worcester sauce on) but I will now - thanks for that! :)
    mad1 wrote: »

The sesame seed one is nice though :o, well it is with mushroom pate on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Noooooooo, it's vile, it's the worst thing I ever tasted in my life! Honestly, I bought a jar and had to throw it away, yuck! (I love Marmite, have it on toast most days for lunch) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Ew, tried it once and decided I hate marmite.

Although that was years ago, and I have developed a few more tastes since then (like Beer, Nuts, Toffee) so maybe its time for a re-taste.

Then again maybe not :D

You might find you like it now. I always thought it was repellent and revolting but about 12months ago I tried it, and loved it - then I really got into it. I haven't had it for a while though, now.

It's funny how your taste does change because I'd also never touch wotsits and tomato's and i like them now too.

But I've never liked tea or coffee, and really wish that would change for me (then I could join in more!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I'll give vegemite a miss, I've never tried own supermarket brands either, the closest I've got to a little bit different was my little jar of Guiness marmite, I reallly hope they bring that out again for St Patricks day this year, yum:)I also spied out shopping a few months ago a packet of little marmite cheddars, they are lovely for a little snack, but have not been able to find a big block of the stuff, which might be a good thing really:o :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'll give vegemite a miss, I've never tried own supermarket brands either, the closest I've got to a little bit different was my little jar of Guiness marmite, I reallly hope they bring that out again for St Patricks day this year, yum:)I also spied out shopping a few months ago a packet of little marmite cheddars, they are lovely for a little snack, but have not been able to find a big block of the stuff, which might be a good thing really:o :D

There was a Christmas market in my town a couple of weeks ago, various speciality stalls from local producers, including a cheese stall and they had a marmite cheddar, very nice it was too!
  • *Liam**Liam* Posts: 4,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh i love it too, i love cheese wih it alot!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I love Marmite and Vegemite on toast - however they don't like me, so I can't have them anymore! (And yes, I only ever had a very light scraping of it).

A short while after eating either of them, I get a horrible stomach ache and feel sick. Also I'm sure the salt content is very high.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might find you like it now. I always thought it was repellent and revolting but about 12months ago I tried it, and loved it - then I really got into it. I haven't had it for a while though, now.

It's funny how your taste does change because I'd also never touch wotsits and tomato's and i like them now too.

But I've never liked tea or coffee, and really wish that would change for me (then I could join in more!)

Me aswell, I hate going to visit someone and getting offered a tea or coffee, I have to say no, want to ask for a can of juice but feel thats a tad cheeky :(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me aswell, I hate going to visit someone and getting offered a tea or coffee, I have to say no, want to ask for a can of juice but feel thats a tad cheeky :(:D

Not really if you explain.