CD player not reading some disks

I have a JVC hi fi system which is about 8 years old.
I could play all cd's without any problems & then all of a sudden it's stopped reading cd's created on my computer plus certain shop bought ones. The majority disks are playing fine.
Anyone have any thoughts on why it's started doing this?

Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    dennisl wrote: »
    I have a JVC hi fi system which is about 8 years old.
    I could play all cd's without any problems & then all of a sudden it's stopped reading cd's created on my computer plus certain shop bought ones. The majority disks are playing fine.
    Anyone have any thoughts on why it's started doing this?

The laser is 'wearing out', replacing it should cure it, and even cleaning it might.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sony system will not play any CD on the 5 available and it was suggested to me to clean it, but how?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    My Sony system will not play any CD on the 5 available and it was suggested to me to clean it, but how?

Errr .... first hit when googling for "cd lens cleaner" ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-CD-Laser-Cleaning-Disc/dp/B00006IVA9

... and if you scroll halfway down the page, there are links to alternative, similar, products.

Never used one so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to eventually happen to every CD player I own!

Lense cleaner disks help a bit - but I usually end up buying a new stereo.

Ive now opted for a separates system, so I can just replace the CD player if needs be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. I used one of these cleaners a few years back ,without much success, to try & cure a player that was having some problems.
    I've spotted one on Maplins site for £4.99, so might give that a try , but think I'll have to be investing in a new unit soon.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3123&criteria=lense&doy=22m7
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Why go to the expense of a new unit? Your local electronics repair guy should be able to replace the "laser" diode/pickup assembly fairly cost-effectively. The part itself is cheap.

I know I did my own, but it was maybe 1/2 hr to strip unit down to get to the laser diode/pickup assembly, £5.52 for the replacement part from CPC and maybe 1/2hr to put it all back together (in a 8 year old JVC mini hi-fi unit as well - model MX-S50R). No more than £50 labour, at worst, I would have thought (if I was paying for my time too). Part costs vary from £5 to £45 depending on maker/type and how much extra "assembly" comes along with the laser diode, average is £12-15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current "Teac" CD play has a bit of a problem at the moment.

I think it's something to do with it not being able to "grip" the CD properly sometimes. So the CD ends up spinning too fast for the laser to be able to read.
    (problem always occurs when skipping tracks)
    you can hear a much louder whizzy noise than normal.
    I press the eject button, and the tray opens with the disk still spinning.

Thats my non-expet diagnosis of the problem.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?