Can I use Savlon on my dog?

sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
Forum Member
She has a scraped paw that is making her limp, and she won't leave it alone it's obviously hurting her, she keeps licking and licking it, just wondered if I sprayed some savlon on it it would ease the pain, won't make her more poorly will it? Is it safe to useon doggies?
(I have already made a vets appointment for tomorrow in case she has something stuck in there)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Your Dog will lick it off and it is not for consumption.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    She has a scraped paw that is making her limp, and she won't leave it alone it's obviously hurting her, she keeps licking and licking it, just wondered if I sprayed some savlon on it it would ease the pain, won't make her more poorly will it? Is it safe to useon doggies?
    (I have already made a vets appointment for tomorrow in case she has something stuck in there)

I think savlon is ok but I wouldn't use it on a part of her where she can lick it.

Boil a kettle and pour some into a bowl. let it cool to a temperature that you can put your hand into it then add a half a teaspoon of salt and mix it in. Dip some cotton wool in the water, wipe the wounded area and see if you can see any dirt/grit/glass in there.

It's normal for dogs to lick wounds but she might make it worse so it's a good idea to taker her to the vet.
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could use savlon if you were going to cover the scrape as well. Ours got a bit of glass in her pad so we put some savlon on it, then an absorbent dressing thing, and then a bandage taped on. She wasn't overly impressed with it, but it cleared her pad up nicely:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Licking it is good, helps with the healing process. You could try bathing it in salt water too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we;ve used savlon and still have the dog, so it can't be that dangerous
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we;ve used savlon and still have the dog, so it can't be that dangerous

Is it the same dog though? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the same dog though? ;)

he's got the same bark:D
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Licking it is good, helps with the healing process. You could try bathing it in salt water too.

Not always, my old doggy before he got put to sleep once had a wound on his pressure point. He liked it so much that it went red raw :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    try Hibbiscrub... you can get it from your vets relatively cheaply, and dilute it 1 part to 20 parts water, so it goes a long way ... we've used it on a ripped out claw (ow) and a scabby nose recently.... or if not, like someone else said, good old salt water (not too strong 'cos of licking though!)

Windy
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    WindChim wrote: »
    try Hibbiscrub... you can get it from your vets relatively cheaply, and dilute it 1 part to 20 parts water, so it goes a long way ... we've used it on a ripped out claw (ow) and a scabby nose recently.... or if not, like someone else said, good old salt water (not too strong 'cos of licking though!)

Windy

Another vote for Hibbiscrub or equivalent. It's actually an iodine wash that you can get from your chemist usually cheaper than from the vet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used Savlon loads of times but you have to cover it with a bandage.

Use the self adhesive bandages, same as you get from the vets, and cover. Replace daily.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I'd advise against Savlon, and use Sudocrem instead. There has been research somewhere (Google it) and it has been suggested that Savlon can be poisonous to dogs.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your dog might have a grass seed in its paw. My springer gets them at this time of year (July to end of Aug) and he wont leave his paw alone. It looks like a scrape or a cut on the paw, but it might well be a grass seed.

If you catch them early enough, the vet will lance the paw, and pull the seed out. You dog will then look like a wounded soldier with a bandage :p

I tend to dissolve a little salt on a pot, and use that with cotton wool on the paw. It might sting a little, but my dog actually likes the attention ;) The last time he had a grass seed we had to wait a few days for an appointment. When we went, the vet said that, due to us soaking the paw with salt water, there was no infection - which was good news.

Let us know how you get on.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avlon should be fine, as long as you cover it afterwards (I find a ladies sock is effective!)
    Dakota. wrote: »
    Not always, my old doggy before he got put to sleep once had a wound on his pressure point. He liked it so much that it went red raw :(

Currently my rottweiler is wounded after picking up a bad infection in his back leg/foot in kennels.:mad:
    Vet expressed a load of gunk from one of his pads but that just made the dog want to lick it and he ended up pulling the whole pad out of his foot, and then starting on the same pad on his other foot when we put a sock on the bad one!! So now it's socks on both back feet. (I got him 6 pairs of ladies ones from Tesco:o)

On antibiotics and bathing twice daily with hibiscrub 1:10 water, seems to be clearing up now, he looks really cute in his socks! :D
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to put some savlon in an old sock and put it on our dog, she used to try and pull it off but thankfully it would be too high... was funny though.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Hehe sudocreme gets my vote, we used it on one for the cats when her stitches were weeping, on the advice of the vet mind, hehe it was funny putting nappy cream on a cat though! Worked a treat and cleared in a few days.

I have heard of people using hydrogen peroxide solution from the chemists, sounds it might be a bit nippy on a cut maybe if it hasnt been diluted well?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you'd have said vaseline instead of savlon. It would have made the title more amusing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used it on our dog. He got bitten and we couldn't get an appt at vets until next morning, so we used antiseptic wipe, savlon, and covered it in a dressing.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't put savlon on a human let alone a dog - its not good stuff.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Savlon is fine, particularly in areas that the dog can't reach. However, Hibiscrub is a better solution and safe to use (use 1 part Hibiscrub and ten parts water). You can get it cheap in chemists.
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    well we had an old collar from when our other dog had stitches, we put the collar on Spot so she couldn't lick, and put sudocrem on her, when i was rubbing it in she didn't like it and started growling at me :(
    we shall see how it goes
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheddy99 wrote: »
    well we had an old collar from when our other dog had stitches, we put the collar on Spot so she couldn't lick, and put sudocrem on her, when i was rubbing it in she didn't like it and started growling at me :(
    we shall see how it goes

what time is your vets appointment ?
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    It was 6pm. The vet squeezed her paw and a about a pint of gooey pus came out, along with a big prickle - I went green :cry:
    The vet just told us to kepe bathing the paw with salty water and keep the collar on