Options

Stephen King Movie Adapations

2»

Comments

• Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    The only one I have seen is where a 1950's American car is haunted and goes on the rampage. That was quite spooky and tense. I think it was called Matilda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    The only one I have seen is where a 1950's American car is haunted and goes on the rampage. That was quite spooky and tense. I think it was called Matilda.

No, Christine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like....

The Mist
    The Shining
    IT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Christine.

That's another fantastic film. And Christine is a beautiful car. I wanted one of my own after seeing it for the first time.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mist - Was very close to my own imagination of the story when I read it as a teenager.
    The Running Man (as Richard Bachman) - Great 80s Arnie nonsense.
    Salem's Lot (Original TV Miniseries) - Still the scariest, creepiest vampire movie ever.
    Misery - For the ankle shot alone, shudder just thinking about it, made Kathy Bates once scary woman.
    The Lawnmower Man - Breakthrough AI and CGI in movies, looked great.
  • Options
    misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the ones I've seen:

My favourites:
    The Shining
    Misery
    Desperation (It isn't brilliant, but I quite enjoyed it)
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Carrie
    The Stand (not a movie, but I'll add it anyway)

Enjoyed:
    It
    Christine
    The Mist
    The Green Mile
    Dreamcatcher

Ok:
    Children of the Corn

Watched the first half, enjoyed what I saw, but didn't get around to finishing:
    Pet Sematary

Don't think I've seen any of the others, but there are quite a few I have been wanting to watch for a long time but have never got around to watching them.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best:

IT
    Misery
    Apt Pupil
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Shining

The worst:

The Tommyknockers ...utter crap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book and the Kubrick version of the Shining are so different I'm not even sure if it's fair to call the film an adaptation - more like a complete rewrite that a kept a few key elements. I like them both, but comparing the two is kinda futile.

It reminds me of a Guillermo del Toro quote I heard a few days ago: "Making an adaptation is a bit like marrying a widow. You have to be respectful of what came before, but at some point you gotta f**k..."

I agree about the Mist. It felt like watching a B-movie.

But that's the pitch of The Mist it's a homage, hence Darabont's Black & white cut
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Stand By Me is my fave film ever :D
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I wish someone would film The Long Walk
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apparently King didn't like the film version of The Shining and preferred the TV mini that he thought was more along the lines of his story.

I prefer the TV mini of The Shining as well :)
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    The best:

IT
    Misery
    Apt Pupil
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Shining

The worst:

The Tommyknockers ...utter crap

Haven't seen the adaption - I'd imagine it's difficult to translate to film (like most of King's novels, IT and The Shining in particular!).

The book itself was written when King was at the height of his alcoholism, which makes it a tough read but ultimately rewarding, IMO.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mist - Was very close to my own imagination of the story when I read it as a teenager.
    The Running Man (as Richard Bachman) - Great 80s Arnie nonsense.
    Salem's Lot (Original TV Miniseries) - Still the scariest, creepiest vampire movie ever.
    Misery - For the ankle shot alone, shudder just thinking about it, made Kathy Bates once scary woman.

Neither of those were anything like the books/stories. Running Man, I am prepared to give the benifit of the doubt and say it started of with the basic premis and took it's own direction, but Lawnmower man only has one similarity and that's the title.

Adaptations I like are:

Christine
    It (Clowns are naturally creepy)
    Misery
    The Stand
    The Langoliers (until the Langoliers actually appeared)

I also quite liked that TV series that he did about the old man getting younger. What was that called?
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I remember quite liking the Langoliers, but I was young when I saw it. Can’t remember if it was made of tv, or tv series. Also liked the Running Man.

I never realised the Shawshank redemption was a Stephen King novel. That would of course be up there.

Misery was pretty good too, but I don’t think it’s something I’d watch again!

Wasn't a big fan of Dreamcatcher. I found it too silly and at times the acting grated on me. Same with the Green Mile. Sort of watched it because it was interesting enough, but parts grated on me, so not particularly great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    Stand By Me
    Misery
    Carrie

I enjoyed the first half of IT and any scene with Tim Curry but the adult stuff was a bit rubbish. I really enjoyed 1408, one of the only recent films to make me a little bit nervous, haven't read that one though.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the made-for-TV ones are a bit rubbish,

Langoliers for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I love the Dead Zone with Walken, surprised not to see it get a mention already.
  • Options
    SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Obseen wrote: »

I just hope Cell gets made sometime.

Hmm thought that was a terrible book. Was just getting interesting then it just ended.:mad:
  • Options
    SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazeltree wrote: »
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    Stand By Me
    Misery
    Carrie

I enjoyed the first half of IT and any scene with Tim Curry but the adult stuff was a bit rubbish. I really enjoyed 1408, one of the only recent films to make me a little bit nervous, haven't read that one though.

Agree with all of that, but havent seen Carrie yet.

1408 was quite good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Green Mile. I also enjoy 1408. :)
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Some of the made-for-TV ones are a bit rubbish, .
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Langoliers for example.

I thought it was pretty good until, as someone else pointed out the Langoliers appeared
  • Options
    DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Langoliers for example.

The Langoliers was such a good concept, but as with a lot of Stephen King books the ending just didn't match up. The film... Awful special effects, some terrible acting, and too many holes in the plot, which you can maybe get off with in a book, but not in a movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Carrie, Stand By Me, and IT in that order. Never really enjoyed the rest of SK-inspired movies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites are Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Carrie & Stand By Me. Have you seen the Family Guy where they do adaptations of Shawshank Redemption, Stand By My & Misery? Hillarious! :D

Yes brilliant. :D
    Love Shawshank, the scene where Andy plays opera over the loud speakers to the men is so beautiful.
    Mr Obseen wrote: »
    I like

IT
    The Mist
    Pet Cemetery
    The Stand
    even Tommyknockers

Really not a big fan of The Shining though.

I just hope Cell gets made sometime.

I would like to see that too.
    Frood wrote: »
    (Rita Hayworth and) The Shawshank redemption and the short story "The Body" - Stand By Me - are the best adaptations for me.

Agreed. :)
    The Running Man (as Richard Bachman) - Great 80s Arnie nonsense.Salem's Lot (Original TV Miniseries) - Still the scariest, creepiest vampire movie ever.

The running man was O.K. looked upon as daft Arnie nonesense, but in my opinion it should be re-made and stay true to the original, brilliant story. The whole reality show, going way too far and involving the public is so relevant nowadays.

The 'Lawnmower man' was a terrible movie,originally titled 'Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man', it differed so much from the source material that King sued the filmmakers to remove his name from the title.

SXTony wrote: »
    Neither of those were anything like the books/stories. Running Man, I am prepared to give the benifit of the doubt and say it started of with the basic premis and took it's own direction, but Lawnmower man only has one similarity and that's the title.

Adaptations I like are:

Christine
    It (Clowns are naturally creepy)Misery
    The Stand

I also quite liked that TV series that he did about the old man getting younger. What was that called?
    BrrrCLOWNS :D Add giant spiders into the mix and I'm terrified.:D

That was 'Thinner' written under his pen name 'Richard Bachman'.

Matty_D wrote: »
    I love the Dead Zone with Walken, surprised not to see it get a mention already.

Me too one of my old fave's along with 'Firestarter', an early outing for Drew Barrymore.
    I enjoyed the T.V. show 'The Dead zone' too. starring Michael Anthony Hall.
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    Agree with all of that, but havent seen Carrie yet.

1408 was quite good.

:eek: How can you not have seen Carrie?
    Go and rent it immediately. :D
    1408 was pretty damn good, great acting from John Cusack.

I am currently enjoying the series 'Haven' on Sky1, based on SK's 'The Colarado kid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »

Adaptations I like are:

Christine
    It (Clowns are naturally creepy)
    Misery
    The Stand

That was the golden years.