do u think janet jackson is a terrific entertainer?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkglue wrote: »
    i think she is a good performer/dancer but i never liked any of her music ..10 number ones ? where ? in what country ..are u american ?

i am an american. i live in the united states. that's why my writing is american facts. united states.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet was very well successful with her control/rhythm nation era and it kind of reminded me of what her brother michael would release with his thriller/off the wall material. but opposite though. her and michael had different style but sure janet did borrow a little bit of mj's dance moves especially during the rhythm nation video.

she wanted to be her own person and burst out of the shadow of mj's success. she wanted to prove to everybody that she was much more than just michael jackson's sister and that's what happend when she released rhythm nation. she holds the record for the most top 5 hits in one album 7 hits 4 of them going no.1.

though rhythm nation isn't her best selling cd it's her follow up simply titled janet in 1993 which sold 20 million cds. while rhythm nation sold 16 million and control sold 14 million.

her next cds the velvet rope which sold 10 million cds was still a success despite only being known for one song which is her biggest song of her career which is together again. her next album which happens to be her last successful cd all for you sold 10 million cds as well and the title track was successful to as was two other doesn't really matter and someone to call my lover.

after all for you was released, her music was started to flop and hasn't had a big really in over a decade. janet's right now on tour promoting her greatest hits album. she's still proving she still has it.
  • Vardon78Vardon78 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Janet, BBC4 is screening a new documentary about Janet at 10pm on Friday, 18th November, called Janet Jackson: Taking Control.

This film examines Janet's phenomenal career, from her early success as a teenage actress in hit US sitcom Diff'rent Strokes to multi award-winning pop star rivalling her brother's success with ten number one singles on the American Billboard charts and worldwide album sales of over 65 million. The struggle to control both her creative and personal life is central to Janet's development as an artist and key to understanding her story - from escaping the clutches of her overbearing father to the thirst for new challenges in her groundbreaking collaborations with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Dubbed the 'Queen of Radio' in America, she always seemed capable of maintaining her broad-base appeal - until the infamous 2004 American Super Bowl appearance alongside Justin Timberlake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017gssb
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vardon78 wrote: »
    Speaking of Janet, BBC4 is screening a new documentary about Janet at 10pm on Friday, 18th November, called Janet Jackson: Taking Control.

This film examines Janet's phenomenal career, from her early success as a teenage actress in hit US sitcom Diff'rent Strokes to multi award-winning pop star rivalling her brother's success with ten number one singles on the American Billboard charts and worldwide album sales of over 65 million. The struggle to control both her creative and personal life is central to Janet's development as an artist and key to understanding her story - from escaping the clutches of her overbearing father to the thirst for new challenges in her groundbreaking collaborations with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Dubbed the 'Queen of Radio' in America, she always seemed capable of maintaining her broad-base appeal - until the infamous 2004 American Super Bowl appearance alongside Justin Timberlake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017gssb

I am looking forward to the 2nd programme in this series the following week on the 25th, when they cover Princes' career!! Its entitled Prince: A Purple Reign!!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janet was very well successful with her control/rhythm nation era and it kind of reminded me of what her brother michael would release with his thriller/off the wall material. but opposite though. her and michael had different style but sure janet did borrow a little bit of mj's dance moves especially during the rhythm nation video. .

they weren't really her brothers moves though. he was taught them by other people who also choreographed the videos. just like janet. and the stylings of those videos were just based on musical movies from the 30s to 50s in particular with synchronised dance routines

if you want any MJ or janet videos and actually want the dance moves, none of them are particularly difficult, it's just that when you had several people synchronising movements it looks miles better than just one person doing it. the "thriller" routine that originated in the blues brothers movie was just based on a number of old dances from the 50s and 60s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the 2nd programme in this series the following week on the 25th, when they cover Princes' career!! Its entitled Prince: A Purple Reign!!

Fantastic.

There is a programme on prior to the Janet episode called Word Up! which features some of the best African/American pop performances during the 80s. They have a picture of Cameo advertising it-this should be bliss for me and quite a few other people as well!!!!! Prince the next week:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I saw Janet Jackson on the Janet Tour in the mid 90's - and to say I was excited is an understatement. Cant say I left feeling the same way. On the back of the Janet album - which is still think is a masterpiece - I expected a lot - however, I really chose the wrong date to go!!! It was the final Wembley show, and final show of an 18 month tour. All she done was cry!!! She would manage to get halfway through a song - then breakdown. Sure - she was emotional - but jeez, I paid to watch a singer - not a drama queen.

I dont quite understand why her last few albums have not really made an impact - although, none of them are altogether great - each one does have its moment! I do think that the family as a whole though thought for a while they were untouchable, and could put anything out - and it would be a success. Sorry - fans are not that naive!!!

Would love for her to 'find' herself again though - and comeback with a new Control/Rhythm/Janet (and perhaps Velvet Rope!)
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »

they are also showing purple rain as part of a prince night. it's a brand new documentary too