Options

Would you get revenge if...

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A loved one was hurt/killed by someone else? I've always wondered why people just accept the crap justice system, even though theyknow it's a joke. I myself would have to get revenge just to make sure proper justice is done.

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it depends.

If someone were to ever do anything to my family, I may just hunt them down and kill them myself. I'm cool with going to jail for that.

Sometimes however, when you calm down, it does seem like an extreme reaction and you just let justice take its course.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If I did I certainly wouldn't say so on a public forum.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye for an eye and the world ends up blind.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Maybe because two wrongs don't necessary mean a right? Most people know what common sense means and that is to not turn vigilante and make matters even worse than they are already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I hope not - of course, I have no idea what I'd do and hope I never have to find out.

Revenge is a strange thing though - there is no point in it. It would not bring back my loved one - it would stick me in jail and destroy what was left of the family - and there aren't any plus points.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    A loved one was hurt/killed by someone else? I've always wondered why people just accept the crap justice system, even though theyknow it's a joke. I myself would have to get revenge just to make sure proper justice is done.

But would it be worth ruining what's left of your family for revenge?. Leaving your kids without a parent for a few years, the stigma they have to face at school because one of their parents is a murderer?.

And where would it end. You kill him, one of his family decides to take revenge for that and kills you, your son or daughter decides to take revenge for your killing and kills one of his sons, a member of his family then decides to take revenge for the killing of the son so kills another member of your family etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The alternative being the innocent stumbling around blind and vulnerable to attack by criminals with 20/20 vision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but Empirical's Family > The World.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always gone on about how an eye for an eye doesn't work and how two wrongs don't make a right and how that surely putting someone to death for killing someone else lowers us down to the murderers level...but...

...how would I feel if someone hurt one of my kids, raped them or murdered them...?
    I'm thinking that despite my previous leanings there may be some vigilante action on my part, either wishing or in action.

No one knows how they would feel or react until it happens, let's hope it never does.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    My wife got beaten up by 2 smackheads years ago.They got 6 months probation.I took out my revenge on both of them and got 2 years probation.And it was worth every minute.The justice they got from me was far worse than prison gave them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    My wife got beaten up by 2 smackheads years ago.They got 6 months probation.I took out my revenge on both of them and got 2 years probation.And it was worth every minute.The justice they got from me was far worse than prison gave them.

:confused: Maybe probation doesn't mean what I thought it did?
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends,

I would like to say I would let justice take it's course but in the end we are animals, we protect our own and I have a feeling if someone hurt my nieces or nephews I would probably go after the person who did it.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wouldn't know unless it happened to me. Luckily, none of my loved ones have been seriously hurt. But if they did, I strongly suspect I would take revenge and not care. You can't really stay objective and rational if somebody close to you gets hurt.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an immediate reaction I might feel like going after the offenders, if I knew who they were. Hopefully those around me would talk me out of out and let the police handle it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you can predict what you'd do... I'd imagine that some situations might leave you feeling so emotionally drained that seeking revenge wouldn't even come into it.. Might be more than grateful for the proper authorities to deal with the issue of accountability..

I do wonder about circumstances where you know a person to be guilty of an offence against your loved one, but they walk on a legal technicality or there's insufficient evidence to convince a jury.. If you can't have formal justice, it must be really hard to stomach.. Dunno how anyone could cope with the perp walking away unscathed..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    No, I wouldn't.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I could bring myself to maim or kill anyone, but I do know for sure that the thought of retribution would completely consume me.
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

Revenge and justice are not the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    I suppose it depends.

If someone were to ever do anything to my family, I may just hunt them down and kill them myself. I'm cool with going to jail for that.

Sometimes however, when you calm down, it does seem like an extreme reaction and you just let justice take its course.

I wont be pissing you off anytime soon then lol
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Yes I would! No one would know about it though because the person, or persons, in question would just simply disappear. I certainly wouldn't go around talking about it, be that in public or an internet fora.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Of course not. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Probably not, because I don't live in an action movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I imagine my immediate response would be to seek revenge, but my rational mind points out 2 possibilites.

1) I get put in prison and my children are taken away from me.
    or
    2) I get my arse royally kicked. My vengeful rage might not be enough when it comes down to a fist fight, and I wouldn't dare use a long range weapon as I'd probably end up offing someone in the next county.