Is there a common derogatory term for a straight white man?

Comments

• EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    , but it's not a coincidence that the "worst" word in our language is a word for female genitalia.

No it isn't, its a big taboo because using women's genitalia as an insult is serious business because women are so much more important, but using men's is fine because it doesn't matter so much.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Um no. What insults exist exclusively for someone who falls into all three. Sexist insults towards women can apply to straight OR gay, any of any ethnicity.

The OP's criteria was insults that only apply to someone who fits three groups. Its a piss poor trick to apply that rule to one group then allow insults to be applied to others so as to claim something that is untrue.

Its AND vs OR.
    Try arguing that with the OP, then, and arguing with me about what I actually said, which was that straight white men tend to be exempt because they don't fall into any of the minority categories, whereas although there aren't any specific insults for "gay black woman" or whatever, they can be called insults from any of the three categories they fall into.
    Horseshit and you know it.
    Yeah, I know I'm not going to convince you that a group having more power makes an insult more powerful, at least not when men are involved. I know you realise that "n*gger" is more powerful than "honky", so I've got to assume it's a blind spot that you can't apply the same thing to gender.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't, its a big taboo because using women's genitalia as an insult is serious business because women are so much more important, but using men's is fine because it doesn't matter so much.

That's an interesting one ~ c*** is considered the worst.

But t*at which is the other word for female genitalia, is used much more freely, and is on the same level as p*ick
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try arguing that with the OP, then, and arguing with me about what I actually said, which was that straight white men tend to be exempt because they don't fall into any of the minority categories, whereas although there aren't any specific insults for "gay black woman" or whatever, they can be called insults from any of the three categories they fall into.

And straight white women are also exempt because so far nobody has come up with an insult specifically aimed at straight white women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? You are repeating the mistake. Dont hide behind the OP.
    Yeah, I know I'm not going to convince you that a group having more power makes an insult more powerful, at least not when men are involved. I know you realise that "n*gger" is more powerful than "honky", so I've got to assume it's a blind spot that you can't apply the same thing to gender.

No. You really are not going to convince me of your racist sexist stance that some guys I dont know and have no connection with who are MPs or Directors somehow bestow power upon me just because we happen to have the same color skin.

Its the same bullshit as "Once this black guy mugged me so that's somehow that's something to do with all black guys".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? You think using words for women's genitalia as insults is seen as worse because being a woman is seen as being better, not because it's seen as being worse? How do you explain all the insults to men about being "girly", "unmanly", and so on?
    blueblade wrote: »

But t*at which is the other word for female genitalia, is used much more freely, and is on the same level as p*ick
    Yep. It's actually hard for me to judge this one because being in Glasgow, "c*nt" is much less of a big deal for me than it is for people in most other areas! I've had to listen to people and learn about usage in other places to see why a lot of women find it sexist, and it's still not a word I've totally dropped...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was more pointing out it can be interpreted in any way, doesn't make it valid. Pickwick chooses to interpret it in a way that suits her victimhood, you example above shows how its invalid (as was my example).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? You are repeating the mistake. Dont hide behind the OP.
    I never said there were any specific insults for people in more than one minority, which is what you seem to be complaining about.
    No. You really are not going to convince me of your racist sexist stance that some guys I dont know and have no connection with who are MPs or Directors somehow bestow power upon me just because we happen to have the same color skin.

Its the same bullshit as "Once this black guy mugged me so that's somehow that's something to do with all black guys".
    Jeez, really? OK. I must have you mixed up with someone else who doesn't deny the existence of racism. I won't bother you with any of this more complicated stuff then!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    honky?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? You think using words for women's genitalia as insults is seen as worse because being a woman is seen as being better, not because it's seen as being worse? How do you explain all the insults to men about being "girly", "unmanly", and so on?.

How do you explain why being called butch or manly is generally regarded as an insult to women?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was more pointing out it can be interpreted in any way, doesn't make it valid. Pickwick chooses to interpret it in a way that suits her victimhood, you example above shows how its invalid (as was my example).

Yeah - when I'm calling someone a c*** I'm not usually thinking about pussy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, really? OK. I must have you mixed up with someone else who doesn't deny the existence of racism. I won't bother you with any of this more complicated stuff then!

I dont deny the existence of racism (but then you like making things up) I just recognize it all its forms, including people who group all white people (especially men) into some interconnected single organism. Its dumb, as is all racism and prejudice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you explain why being called butch or manly is generally regarded as an insult to women?
    Depends on the context - there are always different things in play. Usually it means "not sexually attractive to me", coming from a man, which is reducing women to their sexual attractiveness as usual. Sometimes it means "trying to be like a man, which is bad, because men and women are DIFFERENT and women shouldn't try to run companies or take charge or not want babies." In that case it's a "getting above your station" thing, rather than the "being reduced to below your station" that calling a man girly usually is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont deny the existence of racism (but then you like making things up) I just recognize it all its forms, including people who group all white people (especially men) into some interconnected single organism. Its dumb, as is all racism and prejudice.
    You just denied the idea that white people in general have more power than black people in general, which is denying societal racism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the context - there are always different things in play. Usually it means "not sexually attractive to me", coming from a man, which is reducing women to their sexual attractiveness as usual. Sometimes it means "trying to be like a man, which is bad, because men and women are DIFFERENT and women shouldn't try to run companies or take charge or not want babies." In that case it's a "getting above your station" thing, rather than the "being reduced to below your station" that calling a man girly usually is.

Now with a few alterations which I'm sure you are capable of you just answered your own question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might not come across collective group discrimination, but no doubt many of them will face individual discrimination for any number of reasons and by any number of other individuals/groups.

That is what I was trying to say... especially as individuals encounter sub groups in their daily lives
    However I would disagree that is 'many' and would furthermore disagree that those (straight white) men who have encounted prejudice because they are white/male/or straight suffer from frequent prejudice. I think it is a rare occasion for those it happens to. That doesn't negate that it wrong that they suffer prejudice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    InTheNow wrote: »
    I can think of derogatory terms for women, gay men and lesbians, ethnic minorities, foreigners - just about everyone - but I can't come up with a common catch-all one for straight white men.

Says something about the way the world works?
    i know they call them 'small willy pedophiles', edomites, cracker, peckerwood, satan, devil, beelzebub, pink man, esau,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Yeah - when I'm calling someone a c*** I'm not usually thinking about pussy.
    I tell you what, it would really help things if we could get some decent words for women's bits. They're all pretty terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just denied the idea that white people in general have more power than black people in general, which is denying societal racism.

No I deny the validity of generalizing. I do not have more power just because I am white. I do not have more money just because I am white.

Why do you think its ok to generalize about one group you have decided to single out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell you what, it would really help things if we could get some decent words for women's bits. They're all pretty terrible.

There's nothing wrong with either of those words. Personally I think 'bits' is a whole lot worse.

Make one up if you don't like the many that are already on offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now with a few alterations which I'm sure you are capable of you just answered your own question.
    No I deny the validity of generalizing. I do not have more power just because I am white. I am not have more money just because I am white.

Why do you think its ok to generalize about one group you have decided to single out?
    OK, I've totally lost track of what you're talking about, I don't think I'm generalising anyone, and I need to do some work!

(But yes, *the chances are* you do have more money than a black person, where everything else is equal - eg gender, class, sexuality, etc.)
    adopter wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with either of those words.

Make one up if you don't like the many that are already on offer.
    I should have said words in widespread use, maybe. I like "Velvet Tardis", but it's yet to catch on...
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group

"A minority is a sociological category within a demographic. Rather than a relational "social group", as the term would indicate, the term refers to a category that is differentiated and defined by the social majority, that is, those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society. "

No, but it means that any reply that begins "Oh, you're claiming ALL straight white men run countries" falls at the first hurdle...

Depends how pedantic you are and of course totally missing the point that not only are most countries not run by white males,but also the vast majority of whites males do not run countries.That post falls flat on it's face before the starting pistol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hatred on DS is really wearing me down, I mean, I acknowledge that it makes real change from Muslims or immigrants but still.......:(
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    White males who are heterosexual are usually the most advantaged in life. They run most countries , have the most wealth and rarely face abuse for being who they are.

You mean like Obama who runs the most powerfull country in the world, or the leaders of of China, India, Japan, which are the richest countries.?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hatred on DS is really wearing me down, I mean, I acknowledge that it makes real change from Muslims or immigrants but still.......:(
    Imagine how it feels to be me, when I see so much more hatred and bigotry around than you do :p