Options

One dog or two?

oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Currently I have one dog, a lab cross, and I am debating whether to get another one.

Anyone opinions on whether two are better than one or vice versa?

Am really unsure what to do.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had one previously, when he died we adopted another much younger one, now we've taken on a foster dog and we are all thrilled to have 2 in the house. They bicker now and then but thy play too and are definitely good company for each other when we are out :)

Walking 2 huskies on my own is challenging but I'm getting there :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it is!

Have you found any negatives to having two? Apart from the obvious double the cost of everything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet it is!

Have you found any negatives to having two? Apart from the obvious double the cost of everything?

Only the walking, our adopted boy is trained to walk nicely (not to heel but I check him if he pulls and he stops), it's harder with a second one that has been trained differently (and I don't know how), I will do some 1 on 1 training which will hopefully get them bith walking nicely together.

Our previous husky woud have been jealous of another dig sharing our attention but I do think he would have liked the company when we were out.

It is lovely seeing them play together :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    We had 3 dogs in a shared house I lived in and they were great, they were not mine so i didn't have to walk them every day. They got along well, didn't fight or quarrel
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have two at the moment used to have three, IMO it very much depends on the dogs personalities and where some dogs love company others don't at all. It's important to really know your dog and sometimes the most placid dog loving dog can turn out to dislike having another dog in their home full time.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 Labs father and son, dads getting on a bit now, but son was born in our house, so he would be the 1 who will miss his dad as hes always been with him, although when out over the fields with them if son goes off in the field nose down tail up and I get to the end of the track for putting leads on dad will wait 1/2 way down the track for son, but son will never wait for dad to catch up if hes lagging behind.

But I have stated to OH when 1 goes thats it no more as im 50 now and the other 1 is 61/2, they are very tieing and as family have moved around the country it will be nice to just get up and go for a weekend or a day out.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we have two dogs, an old girl (12) and a new boy (18 month)

They largely ignore each other as she is too old, and theyve had a few scraps, but not tearing chunks off each other.

The only downside is the cost obviously.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have two dogs. I was told that, when a dog reached about 2yrs old and has been on its own for this length of time its harder for them to adjust to a new 'friend'. So, its best to get them both with they are young.

I had my boy first and he was about 18 months when i introduced his sister. I got her initially because i worried if my boy was alone for any length of time and I thought he might want company. They get on fine, but their temperaments are completely different. Whereas my boy is a pipe and slippers kinda dog who is content with one walk a day and sitting in front of the telly in the evening, my other dog wants to run and play. I feel sorry for her as, when she meets other dogs and gets to play chase with them she is in her element, but my boy doesn't want to play with her.

I have pondered the idea of getting her a playmate, but at 7yrs old now ... I wouldn't do it. I think our boy wouldn't like it if we introduced another member of the family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The age thing is the reason I would like to do it now if we do it. He's 2 1/2 now so any older I think might be a problem. He does love a run about with other dogs when we are out and about but I'm not sure that's an indication of whether he would take to another in the house. I don't know anyone with dogs either to meet up for walks so it's pot luck if there is someone else about or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    We have two dogs. I was told that, when a dog reached about 2yrs old and has been on its own for this length of time its harder for them to adjust to a new 'friend'. So, its best to get them both with they are young.

I had my boy first and he was about 18 months when i introduced his sister. I got her initially because i worried if my boy was alone for any length of time and I thought he might want company. They get on fine, but their temperaments are completely different. Whereas my boy is a pipe and slippers kinda dog who is content with one walk a day and sitting in front of the telly in the evening, my other dog wants to run and play. I feel sorry for her as, when she meets other dogs and gets to play chase with them she is in her element, but my boy doesn't want to play with her.

I have pondered the idea of getting her a playmate, but at 7yrs old now ... I wouldn't do it. I think our boy wouldn't like it if we introduced another member of the family.

I'm not sure that's true tbh (the age thing) as my collie x was 4.5 when we got the dobe, he was great with her (she was a little cow thou!), she died 3 years ago, he's now 11 and has accepted a new pup in nov, with no issues. I think it really does depend on the dog and their temperament!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true tbh (the age thing) as my collie x was 4.5 when we got the dobe, he was great with her (she was a little cow thou!), she died 3 years ago, he's now 11 and has accepted a new pup in nov, with no issues. I think it really does depend on the dog and their temperament!

Love the cow comment :p

To be fair, I just use the two years as a guideline. Yes im sure it does depend on the existing dog and their temperament.

I will always have two dogs as i like having two, but i still think next time i will get two very close in age again. I think if I had an old dog and a puppy, I would worry that the puppy climbing all over the old dog would be blummin annoying for it, and that he would feel passed over for a younger model (you see, thats me humanising them !!)
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we've got 2 lab crosses. Molly is the older one at 7 years and Suzie is 4. We got Suzie cos our band was getting busier and we didn't want Molly left on her own for too long.

Suzie looks on Molly as her mother and Molly looks pn Suzie as a pain in the rear ( ;) ) no, actually, she seems to think of her as her daughter.

I've never seen them fight, only play fight, they love each other to bits.

Although I think we've been lucky, I also think it's how you bring the dogs up, we've given them lots of love and I think it flows from them too. :)
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I think most dogs will adapt. I grew up with two dogs, and I will always have two together now. At the minute I have a 4 year old and a much older dog; I think he keeps her young :)
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have two GSDs at present. All of our dogs have been rescue, we started with two collie/spaniel cross sisters 1 day old. They adored each other. When we lost one at 9 the other pined for months, so we had another pup collie/bernese mountain cross. Our original female loved him and acted like she was his mum. When he ended up alone we took on the first of our GSDs, she was a year old and had been very badly treated.
    They didn't fall out at all, but didn't really seem to have anything in common either. Neither was interested in what the other was doing. A year after she arrived the collie/bernese died and we waited a few months to get a GSD male pup born in the shelter. That was three years ago and they get on really well and are constantly together.

Imo when the dogs are the same breed or part breed, they do have certain behaviours/characteristics in common. Which can help them build a bond. Most people think ours are related as they mirror each others behaviour almost as much as the first two sisters we had.:)
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had two dogs until may last year when we lost our older girl

it was really nice having two dogs around, they were company for each other if they were left home alone, and they would look out for each other.

we got Jake when Missey was 10, she was a grumpy old girl, didn't appreciate a puppy jumping all over her, but she soon accepted him and they got on well, it is true what they say - introducing a younger dog can bring out a whole new lease of life in the older dog, and this happened with miss.
    both had to learn things, the main one was that he learned to stay away from her when he wasn't wanted, but it was obvious that they cared for each other. towards the end when missey was ill, jake would keep going up to check on her & lay near her on my mums bed of an evening.

we worried about jake, how he would cope after losing missey, as he had always been with her right from being a pup, but he's adjusted really well to being an only dog as well. (probably hlped in part by his obsession with the budgie, did he not have the budgie as his friend, i think he's have got another pup by now!)

they were/are both border collies
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Have had two dogs for the last 20 years and would not have it any other way - they became such good 'friends' and are company for each other in a way that humans are not. I work part time so they have each other when I'm out and for holidays, they have each other when put in kennels.
    I lost my beloved 10 year old Banjo nearly a year ago :cry:and tried with just one for a while, the remaining one genuinely seemed to be getting depressed missing a companion. So nearly 10 year old Woody now has an 8 month old Asha to contend with. It has given him a new lease of life and they have become firm friends very quickly.
    The cost is an issue but as I have rarely had just one I've got used to it.

The other current downside for me is getting used to a boisterous chewy puppy after 9 years of adult dogs and also she needs much more exercise than Woody - they are large breed and he is getting arthritic, so he stuggles with too much exercise now.
    Taking dogs out for separate walks is time consuming but this current weather helps:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the thoughts, it appears that everyone thinks two is better than one!

Now I can't stop looking at puppies :D
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the thoughts, it appears that everyone thinks two is better than one!

Now I can't stop looking at puppies :D

Good luck on finding a new companion but please please please consider a rescue dog before a puppy. A good rescue will have vetted it and researched behaviour so you know what sort of dog you'll be getting. Of course there are positives to a puppy being as it would be less threatening to your current dog but equally a puppy can be a bit much for an older dog too. A happy compromise would be a rescue pup instead. NEVER EVER EVER buy a Puppy from an unknown breeder and always make sure you cover every contingency to avoid a backyard breeder and/or Puppy mill.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend has just 'rescued' a 4 year old blind collie. She had an existing 15 year old collie. At first the older dog was bad tempered and snarly when the other dog came near or even when it got attention. We were just beginning to think it wouldn't work and it wasn't fair on the older dog when suddenly it did a complete about turn and now they get along just fine. The only issue is that the two dogs live at two different speeds.