Do cinemas in the UK deserve to die out?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to a local small independent theatre instead for about the same price. Much more of a personal performance.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    londonite wrote: »
    Why on earth are they so expensive. Nearly a tenner to see a film for a couple of hours??! No wonder piracy is rife. £4 should be maximimum. Who agrees?

Some cinemas still average a fiver but they lack thrills.
  • rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a shame if they did die out.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their food prices are disgusting, in my local Vue they do a large combo deal which consists of a large drink & a large popcorn. They call this a deal despite them charging £8.30 for it. If I am unable to take my own food / drink into the cinema, then I will resort to other means to getting my monies worth.:D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »
    It would be a shame if they did die out.

Yes it would be. And they'd blame it on pirating or the economy and take no responsibility of killing it themselves. :(
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    I've been to the cinema once in the last two years. The prices are part of my reason for staying away, but the main reason is the appalling behavour of other patrons.
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout

(some language NSFW)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a great british tradition to rip people off and to charge as much as possible for products and services and cinema's like to take part in the tradition more than others which harms their business. they are not entirely to blame them selves, there are other factors such as lower quality of films padded out with special effects to make up for it, greedy film studio's and the fact that film stars aren't like their used to be.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I take my ten year old regulaly and love it. When ever I've gone its only half full so is always a good experience for the both of us, though I do think its a shame they don't get full any more (Trafford Centre, Manchester is where we go) I've not had any bad experiences with food munching or chattering for a long long time. I love the cinema and I'd hate to see it die... apart from anything else, in this country we need as many indoor entertainment places that we can get given the weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D is a load of bollocks

Why ?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Why ?

It is impossible to see if a person wears prescription glasses plus two pairs of glasses looks moronic.
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    3D is a load of bollocks

Unless you like watching cartoons then yes it is.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last film I saw was Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes at the one in town.
    The price on a Thursday I think it is was around £3.50 which is not bad but its one of the oldest around so its no where near that great quality and I find the sound and picture Superior on Blu Ray so would rather watch at home on the 50 inch Plasma TV and you don't have annoying people talking to.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is impossible to see if a person wears prescription glasses plus two pairs of glasses looks moronic.
    Not from the inside. I wouldn't have it at home but if the only showings of the movie are in 3D then the choice is to sit at home and stew or pull the specs on.
    Union Jock wrote: »
    Unless you like watching cartoons then yes it is.
    I thought the Avengers movie I watched turned out pretty well but then that's mostly cartoon (ie comnputer effects) anyway.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it isn't. Stop making it up! And who cares what you look like in a dark cinema? :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They do not deserve to die out
  • ninjazninjaz Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    personally i havent been to the cinema in years - i watch all my movies online or torrent them in 720p so i can watch them in peace with my snacks of choice - a much more enjoyable experience than listening to people ruffling bags of crisps and coughing - and the prices for drinks and popcorn etc are outrageous
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member

I wear glasses and can see just fine, thanks to these nifty little things! http://goo.gl/7pb9N (An ebay link)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    They deserve to die out because they are a complete rip off from the moment you book your tickets, to the moment you step foot in the door. I would start going again if you were given headphones to drown out the ramblings of the rest of the cinema-goers.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems people are quite willing to pay daft amounts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last film I saw at the pictures was The Full Monty. The film I really enjoyed but being crammed into a space with not one empty seat just made the room feel airless. And I got a numb bum into the bargain. Snacks were incredibly expensive.

Now, I'd rather sit at home and watch a DVD of a film I like cos then I can wriggle about until I'm comfortable, can eat what I feel like rather than what's on offer, can stop the film if I have to nip to the loo or make a coffee.

I just don't get the whole 'going to the pictures' when it costs a fortune to view a film you can eventually watch in the comfort of your own home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to go the cinema more and stop their demise. There's something special about seeing a new release in a cinema instead of at home. But as others said their prices need to be lowered, and more should be done to stop annoying behaviour.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,040
    Forum Member
    I love going to the cinema. The picture and scale is like nothing you can achieve at home.

One of our local ones still has a proper projectionist, and a family of 5 costs less than £20. It also doesn't do 3D, which is the most pointless thing in cinema ever.

And I must be lucky - the last annoying behaviour I saw was when 2 blokes had a fight in a packed showing of Titanic (the first time out)
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Costs me £30-£40 to take OH to the cinema.

Luckily the only thing she demands to see are the harry potter films and the twilight ones. With HP ended now, and twilight on their last run...life is gunna get cheaper for me :p
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to go the cinema more and stop their demise.

What demise:
    UK cinema box office takings passed the £1bn mark for the first time last year, according to the British Film Institute (BFI).

Figures show earnings increased by 5% to £1.04bn, helped by the success of films including The King's Speech and The Inbetweeners.

Total admissions were also up 1.4% from 2010 with 171.6m tickets sold.

The figures also show that independent British film recorded its best year in terms of market share with 13.5%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16810021
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Last film I saw in the cinema was the Iraqi war film with Matt Damon back in 2010. Persoanlly I find it difficult to hear the dialogue in cinemas - a combination of the special effect sounds and the typical accents actors use on screen.