Adults that dont know how to react to dogs?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I bet they're overjoyed when they see you coming to their home.

They mostly need to see me due to the complexity of their work, so I don't think the fact I don't like to be molested by their dogs is something that ruins their day. They know 6 weeks in advance about my visit, so it isn't as if they are taken by surprise.
  • rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean "adults who don't know how to react to dogs"?

I'll "react" how I damn well like.

Im tired of this western european dog culture. I was over in France and Belgium and I found it disgusting the way some people there mollycoddle those little lapdogs. They even take them into cafes and bakeries and sit them at the table.

I certainly wouldnt want a dog coming into my house,let alone living in it. When you go to someone's house where they have a dog, invariably there are dog hairs everywhere and it smells rank.

Moslems have the right idea: dogs are dirty street creatures.

Now, where's my book of Best Korean Dog Recipes. I fancy a nice sweet and sour tonight.
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YUK
    Nasty
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »
    What do you mean "adults who don't know how to react to dogs"?

I'll "react" how I damn well like.

Im tired of this western european dog culture. I was over in France and Belgium and I found it disgusting the way some people there mollycoddle those little lapdogs. They even take them into cafes and bakeries and sit them at the table.

I certainly wouldnt want a dog coming into my house,let alone living in it. When you go to someone's house where they have a dog, invariably there are dog hairs everywhere and it smells rank.

Moslems have the right idea: dogs are dirty street creatures.

Now, where's my book of Best Korean Dog Recipes. I fancy a nice sweet and sour tonight.

Dirty, but you want to eat them, that makes sense
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »
    WOuld you say the same of someone who would cross the street if they saw a young black man approaching?

If he tried to sniff my crotch he would get a swift punch to the snout also.
    Dog owners all think their dogs are wonderful, I think they are germy flea bags and they and their poo need to be kept away from me and my pavement.

I love how you were trying to be all righteously PC and equated a black man to a dog btw lol.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't expect people to be interested in my kids, so why does anyone else expect me to be interested in their substitute/extra kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    DS is defo not representative of the 'general public'.

Most people I meet out on my walks are pretty normal, pretty happy and pretty cool.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    That is not pack mentality and you obviously know nothing about that subject at all, alpha is not violent, alpha has no need to be violent. You will find the role you were filling is very low down in the pack
    So long as it stopped the dog humping her four year old son I'm sure she doesn't care what position in the pack the dog thought she was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    So long as it stopped the dog humping her four year old son I'm sure she doesn't care what position in the pack the dog thought she was.

I think you could be mistaken there as the person delighted in saying how they got all alpha.

quoted
    i think that when you are dealing with dogs you have to remember their psychology.

I once smacked a 12 st mastiff straight in the mouth. He was trying to hump my, then, 4 year old son. I tried the usual stuff of trying to distact him, dissuade him - nothing was working - so I got all alpha all over his ass, and socked him as hard as I could straight in the teeth! Then I growled at him. This dog must have weighed 12 st - he could have massacred me!
    However, because of my alpha performance, he ran away, whining.

Dogs behave like dogs. Remember their pack mentality and you are on to a winner!

So I would say that the person you are referring to did care very much about their position in the pack, only they haven't a clue what they are talking about
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . I think it's up to the dogs' owners to explain (which they often do, to be fair) to scared people that their dogs are ok and won't kill them, then I think most scared people relax after that.

When someone is scared of something why not just not hassle them with it?
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reassuring someone =/= hassling them.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How are you supposed to know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My young son is frightened of dogs. He is unable to tell whether their excited wagging is friendly or aggressive. He dislikes them jumping. If they bark, the suddenness of the sound (and its volume) scares him. However many times we pass a dog on a lead and I tell him that it's a friendly dog, and it's safe because it's on a lead, he is still afraid and will try to hide behind me. He's even gone off the path onto the road to avoid a dog, so now we just stand still and let it pass.

If someone is scared of dogs, they are scared of dogs. It's a phobia. You can't reason with a phobia.

Remember folks, to a child a dog is a large, unpredictable animal with big teeth. Doesn't matter if it's a big softie - it looks a lot bigger to a child than it does to an adult! Would you like something the size of a bear to jump up on you and sniff you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you could be mistaken there as the person delighted in saying how they got all alpha.

#snip#

So I would say that the person you are referring to did care very much about their position in the pack, only they haven't a clue what they are talking about
    Do you think they think it was more important to her than the dog's assault on her little boy? Either way she deserves sympathy under the circumstances rather than to be attacked further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think they think it was more important to her than the dog's assault on her little boy? Either way she deserves sympathy under the circumstances rather than to be attacked further.

The person only mentioned the boy once, no mention how he was especially after he had displayed her being violent to an animal, the dog was not being aggressive but her hitting it could have put her boy at risk, so no i do not think that it was more important about the boys 'assault'

To me the most important thing evident was showing how macho the person was and also bragging about it on a forum, bragging about hitting a dog in the teeth as hard as he/she could, all whilst an impressionable child was standing there, totally at risk.

That person deserves no sympathy in my book
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person only mentioned the boy once, no mention how he was especially after he had displayed her being violent to an animal, the dog was not being aggressive but her hitting it could have put her boy at risk, so no i do not think that it was more important about the boys 'assault'
    I guess different people have different priorities. I figure she must've decided not doing anything would've put the little boy at more risk.
    To me the most important thing evident was showing how macho the person was and also bragging about it on a forum, bragging about hitting a dog in the teeth as hard as he/she could, all whilst an impressionable child was standing there, totally at risk.

That person deserves no sympathy in my book
    She said she tried everything else and it didn't work.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    How are you supposed to know

Ask them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said she tried everything else and it didn't work.

The person didn't say what they had tried other than smacking the dog hard in the teeth, the most obvious thing would be to walk away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person didn't say what they had tried other than smacking the dog hard in the teeth, the most obvious thing would be to walk away.
    Distracting and dissuading the dog didn't work according to her post. If a twelve stone mastiff was humping my four year old son the last thing I'd want to do is walk away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Distracting and dissuading the dog didn't work according to her post. If a twelve stone mastiff was humping my four year old son the last thing I'd want to do is walk away.

With the child, i thought that would be obvious, i will state the obvious next time, to save confusion
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Ask them?

I draw the line at yelling at every single person coming into the park and asking if they are afraid of dogs in case mine heads in that direction, if they are afraid of dogs they could request it to be put on a lead, I ask owners to put their dogs on leads if I have one on a lead.

Some owners will with no problems other owners are ignorant but we all know that if some owners weren't ignorant there old never be dog shit on the pavements
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also i doubt it was twelve stone, it was probably a little yappy thin, there was a whiff of bull in there, the person most probably just shooed it off, it was a bragging post, says it all really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=TWS;61172568I draw the line at yelling at every single person coming into the park and asking if they are afraid of dogs in case mine heads in that direction, if they are afraid of dogs they could request it to be put on a lead, I ask owners to put their dogs on leads if I have one on a lead.

Some owners will with no problems other owners are ignorant but we all know that if some owners weren't ignorant there old never be dog shit on the pavements[/QUOTE]

LOL that sounds like something that could be in a comedy sketch:D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    I draw the line at yelling at every single person coming into the park and asking if they are afraid of dogs in case mine heads in that direction, if they are afraid of dogs they could request it to be put on a lead, I ask owners to put their dogs on leads if I have one on a lead.

Some owners will with no problems other owners are ignorant but we all know that if some owners weren't ignorant there old never be dog shit on the pavements
    You could just ask whoever it is the dog has approached.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if people who are scared of dogs don't realise they are going to come across a dog at a park/open space, then they need to have a serious chat with themselves.