Employers paying travel costs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live just outside London in Bucks. I've been job hunting and there isn't much locally so I applied for a fair few in West London/North London. I've now got an interview for one about 20 miles away. My location is on my CV (unlike on this forum, I did put a precise location!) so unless they didn't look, they will know that I'm not local.

If I was successful, the proposed salary would not be enough when I consider the travel costs. A season ticket, according to National Rail, would be just under £3,000. If I was offered the job I would ask them to buy my season ticket or at least a portion of it, or up my salary to cover a portion.

Just wondering anyone has experience of negotiating this kind of thing, and if you were successful or not? Or any employers, have you done this/would you consider this for a candidate you really liked?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    A season ticket loan is fairly standard with most employers. So they deduct an amount each month to cover the cost. Interest free. Not sure if they would be happy to pay for it...I would be offered the job first before asking though!!

Just to add you may need to be working there for 6 months or something like that before a season ticket loan is available. I guess it varies from employer to employer. The bottom line is that you are expected to pay for your own travel costs to and from work unless you have a very generous employer!!
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did pay for your travel costs that would be a benefit in kind and you would be liable to pay tax on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 miles away is local, and is in comparison to what some people commute, a stroll in the park
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your package is negotiable you may be able to come to an arrangement depending on how much they want you.I would tread carefully, it will not make you a more attractive candidate. As said above by jmclaugh it would also be a taxable benefit, taxed at your highest rate, so for you to net £3,000 would cost more depending on your tax bracket.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I've heard of this in big companies, but I suppose it was the loans people are talking about rather than the employer paying outright.
  • terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live just outside London in Bucks. I've been job hunting and there isn't much locally so I applied for a fair few in West London/North London. I've now got an interview for one about 20 miles away. My location is on my CV (unlike on this forum, I did put a precise location!) so unless they didn't look, they will know that I'm not local.

If I was successful, the proposed salary would not be enough when I consider the travel costs. A season ticket, according to National Rail, would be just under £3,000. If I was offered the job I would ask them to buy my season ticket or at least a portion of it, or up my salary to cover a portion.

Just wondering anyone has experience of negotiating this kind of thing, and if you were successful or not? Or any employers, have you done this/would you consider this for a candidate you really liked?

been a commuter all my life , the best you will probably get is a season ticket loan.

employers generally do not pay travel costs , its like getting them to pay for your rent -- not thier problem at the end of the day. I probably wouldn't ask as it would sound a bit out of order considering there are many people in the company that commute -- probably even your new boss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the helpful replies. It looks like I will not be taking the job even if offered then, since 3k off the salary would make it not worth it for me.

Luckily I am employed already and I don't need a new job right away, I can afford to wait for something local or that pays enough to make a commute worth it.

I didn't think there was any harm asking here what other people do in that situation though.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I dont even think you should ask, you would put yourself at a great disadvantage against any other candidate,

Why would any employer agree to pay an extra £3k for someone's travel when they could get someone local or someone who doesn't expect them to pay?
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the helpful replies. It looks like I will not be taking the job even if offered then, since 3k off the salary would make it not worth it for me.

Luckily I am employed already and I don't need a new job right away, I can afford to wait for something local or that pays enough to make a commute worth it.

I didn't think there was any harm asking here what other people do in that situation though.

Are you sure you actually need a season ticket and not just an Oyster for train/tube (looking at your location?)

I live in Bromley and travel to Charing cross.....I pay £190 per month for my season ticket but I use it for bus and tube too.....You may find it cheaper if you are only using the train/tube? Maybe check into it a bit more first.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Essentially what you are asking for is an extra £3k + tax on top of your salary. If you think you're good enough for that then ask for it as part of your enumeration package otherwise just add it to your asking salary when you apply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you actually need a season ticket and not just an Oyster for train/tube (looking at your location?)

I live in Bromley and travel to Charing cross.....I pay £190 per month for my season ticket but I use it for bus and tube too.....You may find it cheaper if you are only using the train/tube? Maybe check into it a bit more first.

I'm outside the Oyster zone. It's just overground, no tubes, national rail website said £3k for a years ticket which I assume is the cheapest option. I'm not sure where else to look for cheaper tickets, I travel on train about twice a year!
    Essentially what you are asking for is an extra £3k + tax on top of your salary. If you think you're good enough for that then ask for it as part of your enumeration package otherwise just add it to your asking salary when you apply.

Yes that is what I would need to still have the take home salary I want. Thank you for your post, from the tone of many of the others I felt like I was ridiculously stupid or had a ridiculous feeling of entitlement to even consider negotiating this with the employer.
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what others were saying, is that your commuting situation is by no mean unusual, quite short in fact. I have been commuting from far further out than yourself for the last 14 years (I pay £340 per month for comparison). I would say a large proportion of commuters are paying your sort of fare price so asking for your travel specifically would be looked at as a bit strange, when everyone else just pays their own way. After all it is not the employer’s problem where you live, if you applied for the job then it would be taken that you are willing to do and pay for that commute. You could try renegotiating the salary, but I would come up with professional reasons why you are worth the extra £3k a year rather than just because that is how much your train fare is. If the original salary is £35k+ you might stand a chance, but if it is a more standard junior starting salary of around £18k you would probably struggle to negotiate such an increase. Think of a skill you have that others may not that would make you more suitable for the position, then use that as leverage.
    Good luck
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether this 'season ticket loan' is a London thing, but it struck me as bizzare that anyone would consider asking their employer to pay for their commute. I couldn't rely on public transport (too sporadic where I live) so I have to rely on my car. We all do, and we get milage for everything we drive in excess of our daily commute but nothing else. To me, asking for help with the commute would be like asking my employer to pay towards my car!
    Unless you really, really need a job, you have a choice over how far you drive each day. I wouldn't apply for a job much further away than the one I currently have (22 miles). I've done 45 each way before now, and stuck it for a year - but I know people who drive 80 each way and probably use a huge chunk of their salary in fuel and car costs. If you love the job it could be a compromise you're willing to make - but the next job I apply for will depend heavily on how far away it is!
    No sense taking a job knowing what's involved then moaning about it later on.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the job, I get a car allowance and petrol card also travel if I'm going somewhere not in the car. I work in Cambridge a lot and at £74 for a return ticket I couldn't afford to pay for my own train fare.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope I wouldn't unless the role is highly specialized and hard to fill. And if that is the case I would imagine the wage would be high enough in the first place to cover the cost of travel.

There are plenty of people out there looking for work. If someone I was interviewing asked me to cover the cost of their travel and it isn't a highly qualified job, i.e. I could easily find someone else, I would show them the door.

As others have said, plenty of people commute further than 20 miles and have to pay similar amounts or more. It's just a fact of life when working. Many of these people find that a good portion of their salary just goes on paying to get to work and it's something everyone accepts, myself included.

I would suggest either accept this yourself or continue to look for somewhere local that is within a couple of miles instead. Of course all of that is void if your highly skilled and are in a position to demand such things, then sure it might be worth a try.