Wings

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    I can see why. Mind you I instantly thought of Wings, the band, despite knowing the Little Mix song. Perhaps old tortfeasor is showing his age :p. Had I thought of the latter I wouldn't have opened the thread!

Well I hadn't really heard of the band Wings. I know who Paul McCartney is (who doesn't?) but his music is not my thing. Where did you get your username from? I presume it's law related?
    I am proud to say I knew exactly what the thread was about and had no idea little mix had a song called wings ( presumably the song is about sanitary towels)

Actually it's not, nor is it about Red Bull (which give you wings :p)
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that Wings, being led by Macca, are always being compared to his original band, the Beatles, and invariably come a very poor second.

They could have been as big as the Beatles, with a little luck.

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They could have been as big as the Beatles, with a little luck.

:D

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbem43Rh4O1rs0al3.gif :D
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Well I hadn't really heard of the band Wings. I know who Paul McCartney is (who doesn't?) but his music is not my thing. Where did you get your username from? I presume it's law related? )

Yes! I thought about having something music related as a username but couldn't think of anything I really liked so I opted for a legal term instead. Tortfeasor is one legal term I found amusing - I'm not really sure why I found it amusing - but it was an area of law I enjoyed studying and a memorable username.
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Wings. The band The Beatles could have been.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul's solo work is better than the other Beatles in my opinion, Maybe I'm Amazed, Backseat Of My Car, Every Night, 1985, Beautiful Night, Band On The Run, Coming Up, My Brave Face, Live And Let Die, Daytime Nighttime Suffering, Wanderlust, Listen To What The Man Said, Jet, Tug Of War, Here Today, Little Willow, Only Mama Knows, Jet, Junk, I'm Carrying, The World Tonight etc. All amazing songs IMO
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wings. The band The Beatles could have been.

:)
    There`s the story in the 70s when Wings were huge that a 10 year old fan of theirs had been reading up on the members in a mag and rushed up to her dad,saying `Dad,dad,I didn`t know Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings!`

Hey,no mention of Mull of Kintyre? At one time the biggest selling single ever.
    The reason Wings are underrated is they`re not really considered a band. They were Paul McCartney and Wings,even officially. The (great) song `Uncle Albert/...`is in Wiki as a Paul McCartney solo song (and his first two solo albums were ones he played everything. If anybody off the top of their head can name all members of the `band`.
    `Wings` pretty much invented the English soft rock sound,we still hear the Echoes of IT in The Script (okay Irish) Coldplay,Keane,Take That,Snow Patrol ect.Travis from the noughties were pure McCartney/Wings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Paul's solo work is better than the other Beatles in my opinion, Maybe I'm Amazed, Backseat Of My Car, Every Night, 1985, Beautiful Night, Band On The Run, Coming Up, My Brave Face, Live And Let Die, Daytime Nighttime Suffering, Wanderlust, Listen To What The Man Said, Jet, Tug Of War, Here Today, Little Willow, Only Mama Knows, Jet, Junk, I'm Carrying, The World Tonight etc. All amazing songs IMO

I think most people accept that,he was undoubtedly the most commercially successful Beatle solo. Critics have carped at quality (and he`s laid himself open to that) but just from the incomplete list you`ve just made,most artists would kill for songs like that,especially if they`ve left a big band.
    Funnily enough the second most successful Beatle solo was imo George Harrison,if not commercially,certainly, to me,quality-wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Band on the Run - a brilliant album. But as has been mentioned it was always Paul McCartney and Wings, and not Wings on their own. I seem to remember Linda playing the drums, or am I remembering wrongly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Loved Band on the Run - a brilliant album. But as has been mentioned it was always Paul McCartney and Wings, and not Wings on their own. I seem to remember Linda playing the drums, or am I remembering wrongly.

She may have played drums,but I think she was officially on keyboards. The rest of Wings were on drums and guitar,Paul on bass,i assume. Paul was in the`band` in the way Prince was `in the band`.
  • MasterjonboiMasterjonboi Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Why don't you read what the threads about before you post you numpty! ;)

Anyway yes I love Wings a very underrated group, they were probably in the five biggest bands in the 70s but sadly often forgotten today whereas Paul is mainly known know as "the old guy from the Beatles thats not dead and closes every high profile music event in England."

Make the thread title more easy to understand douche it says wings this can mean either
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    She may have played drums,but I think she was officially on keyboards. The rest of Wings were on drums and guitar,Paul on bass,i assume. Paul was in the`band` in the way Prince was `in the band`.

Paul played all the drums on Band on the Run as the drummer walked out at the airport not wanting to go to Nigeria :D

The thing about Wings is their actual story as a band is really, really interesting, but given Paul's love of keeping quiet about stuff non-Beatles there are large swathes unknown. It would make a good book, they made Wingspan, a documentary but that was cut down endlessly by the American network that wanted it.

There's the fuss over their early singles and recording Wildlife in one week, the university tour, recording in Nigeria and the robbery from the gangs, going to New Orleans and almost recording with John, recording at the ranch of Curly Putman, the Wings Over... tours, the alleged goings on between Jamie McCulloch at Paul's house which led to him leaving and his death from drugs, the drugs and the boat 'Wanderlust' recording London Town, the run ins with George Harrison, all finishing with the drugs bust in Japan and the recording of Tug of War after John's death.
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Yes! I thought about having something music related as a username but couldn't think of anything I really liked so I opted for a legal term instead. Tortfeasor is one legal term I found amusing - I'm not really sure why I found it amusing - but it was an area of law I enjoyed studying and a memorable username.

Mine is made up. I made it because I watch CNBC a lot (or used to) and had been watching it the night I signed up. Yeah I find Tort one of the most interesting areas of law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Paul played all the drums on Band on the Run as the drummer walked out at the airport not wanting to go to Nigeria :D

The thing about Wings is their actual story as a band is really, really interesting, but given Paul's love of keeping quiet about stuff non-Beatles there are large swathes unknown. It would make a good book, they made Wingspan, a documentary but that was cut down endlessly by the American network that wanted it.

There's the fuss over their early singles and recording Wildlife in one week, the university tour, recording in Nigeria and the robbery from the gangs, going to New Orleans and almost recording with John, recording at the ranch of Curly Putman, the Wings Over... tours, the alleged goings on between Jamie McCulloch at Paul's house which led to him leaving and his death from drugs, the drugs and the boat 'Wanderlust' recording London Town, the run ins with George Harrison, all finishing with the drugs bust in Japan and the recording of Tug of War after John's death.

BIB,I`m sure there`s another documentary,specifically about the making of `Band On The Run`,which is a really good intro to the `Wings` story,as is listening to Band On The Run itself,arguably `Wings` best album.. Of the Wings `stories` ( It is amazing how McCartney has kept things private) I think Howard Souness` `Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney` is supposed to be the most detailed on that part of McCartney`s life. Since he married,became a father,and a big solo star,it`s probably a more important part of his life than the Beatle`s years. More challenging stuff happening than the tour-album-tour-film-album-take drugs arc of the Beatles years. Plus we`ve heard all those stories.
    Forum Member
    BIB,I`m sure there`s another documentary,specifically about the making of `Band On The Run`,which is a really good intro to the `Wings` story,as is listening to Band On The Run itself,arguably `Wings` best album.. Of the Wings `stories` ( It is amazing how McCartney has kept things private) I think Howard Souness` `Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney` is supposed to be the most detailed on that part of McCartney`s life. Since he married,became a father,and a big solo star,it`s probably a more important part of his life than the Beatle`s years. More challenging stuff happening than the tour-album-tour-film-album-take drugs arc of the Beatles years. Plus we`ve heard all those stories.

I've read Fab, its very tabloidesque digging for dirt which backfires, very interesting in parts though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    someone mentioned 'under-rated' band.....could have a point.

i think its worth pointing out that in terms of 'the US billboard charts'...wings where the most succsesful act of the 1970's !

in terms of the UK chart 'wings' monster hit [mull of kyntre] remains the biggest selling NON charity single of all time !

wings also pioneered the 'modern stadium gig' in the US during their huge 'wings over the world tour'.

mccartney is obviously not everyones cup of tea on this forum,but nobody can deny that this man is easily the most prolific commercial artist of all time....i feel the way he derived and laughed at by many these days is very very unfair....basically for having the nerve to not die young.!
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McCartney & WINGS - Mull Of Kintyre (1977)
    Forum Member
    DubDub wrote: »

That's one of mum's favourite songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »

Of course. I knew she was there somewhere. I've a picture in my head of her at the back of the band. It was a programme I saw years ago about the band and, I think, the making of Band On The Run, and that's all I can remember of it! I thought it was drums, but obviously I was wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumandlime wrote: »
    someone mentioned 'under-rated' band.....could have a point.

i think its worth pointing out that in terms of 'the US billboard charts'...wings where the most succsesful act of the 1970's !

in terms of the UK chart 'wings' monster hit [mull of kyntre] remains the biggest selling NON charity single of all time !

wings also pioneered the 'modern stadium gig' in the US during their huge 'wings over the world tour'.

mccartney is obviously not everyones cup of tea on this forum,but nobody can deny that this man is easily the most prolific commercial artist of all time....i feel the way he derived and laughed at by many these days is very very unfair....basically for having the nerve to not die young.!

Very true sadly, in fact people forget he dominated the Beatles post-Sgt Pepper and the vast majority of hit songs 1966 onwards were his compositions. In fact Hey Jude, Yesterday, Let It Be and Yellow Submarine probably top the list of most known Beatles songs by younger people today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Band On The Run
    Every Night
    Live And Let Die
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Listen To What The Man Said
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    Coming Up
    Wanderlust
    Daytime Nightime Suffering
    My Brave Face
    Beautiful Night
    Only Mama Knows

This is just a sampling of some of his brilliant songs post-Beatles which stand up well IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was about the Little Mix song :confused::o

Same :D
  • MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Yeah that's true, it was either Hi Hi Hi or Give Ireland Back to the Irish, might've been both

It actually was Give Ireland Back to the Irish, the first Wings single, that led Paul and the band to release Mary Had a Little Lamb.

BTW, on eBay should be issues of Club Sandwich, the fan related publication that was issued by Paul and the Wings Fun Club group back tin the 70's (it eventually became The Paul McCartney Fun Club following the band's split). From what I've read, Linda was very involved with the magazine.

Marshall

My article on Five Paul McCartney collectible CD's (although Thrillington could be taken off the list as it was released in the Ram box set several months ago):

http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/Five-collectible-Paul-McCartney-related-compact-disc-releases
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's one of mum's favourite songs.

I now love your Mum :D:o
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DubDub wrote: »

This feels like one of the most Christmassy songs ever that was not actually about Christmas, perhaps because it was such a huge Christmas no 1.