Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you are over the moon ;)
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here Virgin's official reply

Hi all,

I've received confirmation that we're trialing a speed cap which has been in place since mid-Feb and is applicable to Contract and PAYG customers, but excludes Mobile Broadband.

The current cap is 2Mb/s download, 0.5Mb/s upload. We are doing this to ensure we can offer a good level of service to all customers.

As this is still in trial we are actively monitoring customer feedback to determine it's success as we believe this is vital in ensuring we're delivering the best experience for our customers.

Many thanks.

Follow link in first post, if you want proof it's real.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    And here Virgin's official reply

Hi all,

I've received confirmation that we're trialing a speed cap which has been in place since mid-Feb and is applicable to Contract and PAYG customers, but excludes Mobile Broadband.

The current cap is 2Mb/s download, 0.5Mb/s upload. We are doing this to ensure we can offer a good level of service to all customers.

As this is still in trial we are actively monitoring customer feedback to determine it's success as we believe this is vital in ensuring we're delivering the best experience for our customers.

Many thanks.

Follow link in first post, if you want proof it's real.

I would take that and now make an official compaint to your local trading standard office, as it wasn't sold with a cap. Virgin are capable of delivering around 12 meg or more speeds, but have chosen to cap that at a really low level.

Put your postcode into this site http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/ifyouareindispute-sum2.cfm to find your local trading standards office. Show that there was no point of sale or mention of that on the website and that they are deliberately not giving you speeds which they are capable of delivering.

This is nothing short of dishonesty. I would also complain to Virgin Media's head office to Neil Birkett and to Virgin Group's head office as well as they licence the name / brand from Virgin group and surely they don't want to be associated with this dishonest consumer rip-off.

I'm not on Virgin, but I wouldn't be having any of that nonsense if I was.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I agree, they deserve to be taken to the cleaners on this one. But it's not just this change, there have been several over the last few weeks (cancelling of tethering, reducing the data threshold from 10gb/mth to 3.5gb/mth before throttling kicks in etc etc). They really are a disgrace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I would take that and now make an official compaint to your local trading standard office, as it wasn't sold with a cap. Virgin are capable of delivering around 12 meg or more speeds, but have chosen to cap that at a really low level.

Put your postcode into this site http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/ifyouareindispute-sum2.cfm to find your local trading standards office. Show that there was no point of sale or mention of that on the website and that they are deliberately not giving you speeds which they are capable of delivering.

This is nothing short of dishonesty. I would also complain to Virgin Media's head office to Neil Birkett and to Virgin Group's head office as well as they licence the name / brand from Virgin group and surely they don't want to be associated with this dishonest consumer rip-off.

I'm not on Virgin, but I wouldn't be having any of that nonsense if I was.

Totally agree with what you said. And I am not having any of their nonsense either, already transferred my number last week, so did my partner. And I honestly hope they get it all thrown back in their faces. This whole thing even makes me think if I want to stay with Virgin Media at all when the contract is over. Just a shame a BT line isn't really an option for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    2 Mb/s down max for me too.

I phoned up today to complain about that, the reduced 3.5GB cap, lack of tethering, and was pretty much told to deal with it or leave.

I'm Pay Monthly so I can and will leave, but it's still pretty poor business practice. They were actively promoting their "Unlimited" services even a month or so ago.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Don't they still class it as unlimited? a bit misleading if you ask me. Especially when companies like EE sell 5GB yet Virgin say unlimited, yet technically EE have more data allowance :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    2 Mb/s down max for me too.

I phoned up today to complain about that, the reduced 3.5GB cap, lack of tethering, and was pretty much told to deal with it or leave.

I'm Pay Monthly so I can and will leave, but it's still pretty poor business practice. They were actively promoting their "Unlimited" services even a month or so ago.

They're STILL advertising
    Looking for an easy tariff that’s truly unlimited?
    see here http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payg.or.pay.monthly.whychooseus.sm071

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ASA will deal with complaints on websites now too. It used to be the case that it was TV, radio and newspapers etc, however now claims made on websites are subject to the ASA.

The ASA have already ruled the term 'Truly Unlimited' is not acceptable on tarrifs with caps as 'Truly Unlimited' is a very strong term which would lead the consumer to believe there are no restrictions or caps.

Here's the adjudication against T-mobile http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2011/10/Everything-Everywhere-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_166250.aspx

I've complained as I think it's shocking they still advertise it as truly unlimited and I would recommend others do as well. It's really simple and takes 5 minutes, all you need to do is screenshot the website and fill in a few radio buttons and send a note to them.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

The T-mobile adjudication:
    Assessment
    Upheld

The ASA considered that “Truly Unlimited Internet” was a very strong claim, and went beyond a typical “unlimited” internet claim, which we considered consumers understood would be likely to be subject to some limitations such as a FUP.

Although we noted that the plan was not subject to a FUP and that the three exceptions/restrictions were set out in the ads' small print, we considered that, to all intents and purposes, where an ad claimed that a plan was “Truly Unlimited”, exclusions would be contrary to a consumer’s expectations. We therefore considered that the information in the small print contradicted the headline claim “Truly Unlimited”.

Because we considered that exclusions to an internet plan advertised as “Truly Unlimited” would be contrary to consumers’ expectations and because we understood that restrictions had been imposed on the plan, we concluded that the claim was misleading.

The claim breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation), 3.9 (Qualification) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    IanPH wrote: »

Whether technically legal or not, it's sharp practice.

It really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have complained too now.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    As have I.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that it effects me anymore, but do you think this is enough to let people cancel their contracts? Or is this still all covered by the small print?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Not that it effects me anymore, but do you think this is enough to let people cancel their contracts? Or is this still all covered by the small print?

I'd like to know this too... Ive got 2 contracts that arent on unlimited tariffs but am looking for anyway to get out of paying VM any more than I have to.

Just because I dont use over 1gb or tether at the moment doesnt mean I wont ever want to in the remaining 20 months of my contract does it?
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be voting with my wallet. Again. A year or so I decided to stop taking out long contracts, buy my phones and go SIM only. Incidents like this remind me why!

I'd love to go to 3, but coverage is very poor where I work. Might give T-Mob a whirl. I'd like to stay within EE really, it means I can use my second hand Lumia 920 without unlocking it!
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    True but a lot of Orange masts are running back as normal now and have been upgraded with better capacity + backhaul. By the end of the summer this issue should disappear.

Noticed that here. Although the ping is very high

150ms (Orange vs around 50ms (t-mobile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I can see why some people are annoyed by this, and as a Virgin Mobile customer it's disappointing, but tbh I can't find myself getting too wound up by it for my own situation - a tenner a month for 1gb of data and unlimited texts with a good network in terms of coverage, and no commitment still seems a bit of a bargain tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hutchingsp wrote: »
    I can see why some people are annoyed by this, and as a Virgin Mobile customer it's disappointing, but tbh I can't find myself getting too wound up by it for my own situation - a tenner a month for 1gb of data and unlimited texts with a good network in terms of coverage, and no commitment still seems a bit of a bargain tbh.

If you are paying more and you just joined a contract and you're now stuck in it when you could have gone to Three and got much better speeds then you'd be annoyed though.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    4 down and 1 up would have been a much better cap level.. One that all but the tech head wouldn't have noticed. It must be due to EE offering it to them cheaper if they cap and avoid data spikes. Saying that I haven't noticed EE being any faster or slower since the cap was on, then off and then back on again ... Strange one.

I'd personally report Virgin to the ASA adding links to the website still stating the 'truly' tag line.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    " I'd personally report Virgin to the ASA adding links to the website still stating the 'truly' tag line. "

Already done that. and its looks like many others have. but am sure they will get away with it..
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are paying more and you just joined a contract and you're now stuck in it when you could have gone to Three and got much better speeds then you'd be annoyed though.
    That's the point. Virgin promised one thing to get your business in competition with Three now they are breaking that promise. It's a classic bait & switch operation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

For contract customers I agree entirely.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This completely explains why I've been suffering so much with 3G - although they told me it was because the T-Mobile network in my postcode area was being worked on.

Still, I'm not looking to leave though - won't get a better deal anywhere else, so will have to wait until it's sorted and put up with it.
  • MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This completely explains why I've been suffering so much with 3G - although they told me it was because the T-Mobile network in my postcode area was being worked on.

Still, I'm not looking to leave though - won't get a better deal anywhere else, so will have to wait until it's sorted and put up with it.

Told me that and all. It's not to bad a switch for me, I'm self employed now so I'm taking out an Orange Business Plan. £17 +VAT, Unltd Calls/Text/1GB Data. Lovely.