So I finally got around to watching the UK chair challenge...

earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... and Joseph Whelan's whining aside, it was fairly "uncontroversial." Based on the performances, all four categories picked (more or less) the right acts. Why did people hate it again?

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    ... and Joseph Whelan's whining aside, it was fairly "uncontroversial." Based on the performances, all four categories picked (more or less) the right acts. Why did people hate it again?

some people seemed to think it was cruel playing with people's emotions and hopes by giving them a seat to have it taken away

personally I think its far more cruel to continually tell a bunch of average karaoke singers every week that they are going to be global recording artists
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    some people seemed to think it was cruel playing with people's emotions and hopes by giving them a seat to have it taken away

personally I think its far more cruel to continually tell a bunch of average karaoke singers every week that they are going to be global recording artists

... but didn't they know it beforehand? It's like calling a dentist cruel after getting your teeth removed. I also don't understand throwing someone out when you still have seats left; you can just swap them in a jiffy anyway.

To be fair, with enough pixie dust, "average karaoke singer" can be morphed into a global recording artist. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ... but didn't they know it beforehand? It's like calling a dentist cruel after getting your teeth removed. I also don't understand throwing someone out when you still have seats left; you can just swap them in a jiffy anyway.

To be fair, with enough pixie dust, "average karaoke singer" can be morphed into a global recording artist. :D

Perhaps they didn't know, seeing as it's a new idea? And regarding your second comment, they're not going to give everyone a seat, because some contestants they must know they definitely don't want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they didn't know, seeing as it's a new idea? And regarding your second comment, they're not going to give everyone a seat, because some contestants they must know they definitely don't want.

Good point about the seat, but I was just wondering if they keep tabs on how many is left because if it were me, I might have refused so many seats that I'll be forced to accommodate the last few guys (esp: the Boys).
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also didn't think it was that big of a deal. The contestants knew they could be swapped out at any time, but isn't that what they go through every round anyway? It must have been horrible for those who were cut, but I don't think it was any worse than for those who were told "no" in the first place..
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so unhappy with the chair challenge also as Nicholas McDonald took the seat of a more talented singer
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the chair challenge, one of my favourite parts of the show this year and it made bootcamp so much more interesting. I dismissed it as being cruel before I watched it but it wasn't really that bad.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the Chair Challenge! I hope they do it similar to the US Version next year it was so dramatic and brilliant TV!

I would just get them to do a group performance or acapella round and then get straight to the chair challenge

The Promo for the USA Version was incredibly exciting also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChTtFLlTaUk
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I also didn't think it was that big of a deal. The contestants knew they could be swapped out at any time, but isn't that what they go through every round anyway? It must have been horrible for those who were cut, but I don't think it was any worse than for those who were told "no" in the first place..

It's kinder to say 'Sorry you're going home' than 'I want you in my final six' ...followed shortly by 'I've changed my mind, you're out'. More humiliating I should think, being built up and let down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    It's kinder to say 'Sorry you're going home' than 'I want you in my final six' ...followed shortly by 'I've changed my mind, you're out'. More humiliating I should think, being built up and let down.

This is a competition. If you're too fragile to handle the possibility of being swapped out, you're probably too fragile for the next steps. If they expected it to be all rainbows and smiles and everyone fulfils their dreams, then they need to get their minds recalibrated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    I loved the chair challenge, one of my favourite parts of the show this year and it made bootcamp so much more interesting. I dismissed it as being cruel before I watched it but it wasn't really that bad.

It was all sorts of thrilling that broke the monotony of the double auditions and the standard Bootcamp format. Although I wished there was more structure in their system, like the US who had 10 of each vying for the seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The chair challenge was also the moment I started hating Nicholas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monrose wrote: »
    The chair challenge was also the moment I started hating Nicholas

Oh here we go again. You really need to get over your bitterness that Nicholas took Alejandro's place on the last chair. Do you honestly think it hadn't already been decided who was going through? It really is no reason to 'hate' someone you've never met. Besides, Nicholas has a FAR SUPERIOR voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    singlefish wrote: »
    Oh here we go again. You really need to get over your bitterness that Nicholas took Alejandro's place on the last chair. Do you honestly think it hadn't already been decided who was going through? It really is no reason to 'hate' someone you've never met. Besides, Alejandro has a FAR SUPERIOR voice.

I agree. Alejandro does have a far superior voice
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I agree. Alejandro does have a far superior voice

How sad when people have to alter other people's messages because they can't face the truth. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad and twisted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    How sad when people have to alter other people's messages because they can't face the truth. :(

But Alejandro does have a far superior voice
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    But Alejandro does have a far superior voice

Really? So why is he not more famous? Why has he not been rushed into the studio? More to the point, if he is that superior why has he joined a boyband?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Really? So why is he not more famous? Why has he not been rushed into the studio? More to the point, if he is that superior why has he joined a boyband?

Alejandro has announced on Twitter that he's left Recall. Also, I know he will be a success story and I know he'll be bigger than that talentless piece of shit known as Nicholas McDonald
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is what is wrong with the British public! always feeling victimised and they being discriminated against haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's how I would have done it.

Sam IN
    Paul IN
    Barclay IN (just in case everyone else was worse)
    Alejandro IN
    Ryan IN
    Luke IN
    SWAP Giles FOR Barclay
    Tom OUT
    SWAP Nicholas FOR Ryan/Alejandro

kthxbai. See? More or less right!
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's how I would have done it.

Sam IN
    Paul IN
    Barclay IN (just in case everyone else was worse)
    Alejandro IN
    Ryan IN
    Luke IN
    SWAP Giles FOR Barclay
    Tom OUT
    SWAP Nicholas FOR Ryan/Alejandro

kthxbai. See? More or less right!

I would never have given Barclay or Giles a seat! They'd never have made it to boot camp if it were up to me.

So: Sam in, Paul in reluctantly, Barclay sent away, Alejandro in, Ryan in, Luke in, Giles out and banned from ever reapplying, Tom out, Nicholas in. With Nicholas, Luke and Ryan going through from JH.

If I were going to throw a tantrum over someone taking the space of someone I liked it would be at Giles, he had absolutely no business being there.

I liked the chair challenge, I liked seeing something different and how people ranked. If any of the acts were convinced they were through before all of their section had sung it's their own fault really, heartbreaking as it must have been to get so close and then miss out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sycamore wrote: »
    I would never have given Barclay or Giles a seat! They'd never have made it to boot camp if it were up to me.

So: Sam in, Paul in reluctantly, Barclay sent away, Alejandro in, Ryan in, Luke in, Giles out and banned from ever reapplying, Tom out, Nicholas in. With Nicholas, Luke and Ryan going through from JH.

If I were going to throw a tantrum over someone taking the space of someone I liked it would be at Giles, he had absolutely no business being there.

I liked the chair challenge, I liked seeing something different and how people ranked. If any of the acts were convinced they were through before all of their section had sung it's their own fault really, heartbreaking as it must have been to get so close and then miss out.

I'll give him a seat because swapping is my favourite part of the challenge. :D

... and I like Giles. He's fun, charismatic, and sounds like the singer from one of the bands they invited on Xtra Factor (The Vamps, I think). He's also my act in one of the XF games, so remember to vote! :D

That's true. I hope it comes back with more structure (i.e. they make it clear who makes it to the chair challenge) and less bastardisation of conjunctions (e.g. *negative, BUT *positive, BUT "I have made me decision... you're in!")
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give him a seat because swapping is my favourite part of the challenge. :D

You have a heart of ice!

I liked the swapping part because it showed the ranking and because getting a seat, even if only briefly, meant that the contestant coulda been a contender; tbh it must have been pretty humiliating to not get to sit at all even when there were empty seats and no one would have been replaced. That would hurt.
    ... and I like Giles. He's fun, charismatic, and sounds like the singer from one of the bands they invited on Xtra Factor (The Vamps, I think). He's also my act in one of the XF games, so remember to vote! :D

He definitely seemed like a nice lad but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of 'charismatic' :p His first audition was okay, just a bit thin sounding, but honestly, the rest were car crashes imo, and he was really shown up by Nicholas singing the same song after him at the bootcamp. Though I agree with a comment I saw elsewhere that watching Giles in floods of tears singing along with Tom's hideous rendition of 'girls just wanna have fun' was one of the highlights of bootcamp :D:blush:

I read something on here that Giles had won some talent competition, do you know if that's true?
    That's true. I hope it comes back with more structure (i.e. they make it clear who makes it to the chair challenge) and less bastardisation of conjunctions (e.g. *negative, BUT *positive, BUT "I have made me decision... you're in!")

Haha, yeah, they love to try to tie everything up in confusion to try to be 'clever'. Four new judges that don't try to emulate the same old nonsense would do nicely imo. And yes, they really did seem to gloss over the pre-chair part of bootcamp a lot, I wonder if it really was because they were planning to create more frankenbands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sycamore wrote: »
    You have a heart of ice!

I liked the swapping part because it showed the ranking and because getting a seat, even if only briefly, meant that the contestant coulda been a contender; tbh it must have been pretty humiliating to not get to sit at all even when there were empty seats and no one would have been replaced. That would hurt.

He definitely seemed like a nice lad but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the definition of 'charismatic' :p His first audition was okay, just a bit thin sounding, but honestly, the rest were car crashes imo, and he was really shown up by Nicholas singing the same song after him at the bootcamp. Though I agree with a comment I saw elsewhere that watching Giles in floods of tears singing along with Tom's hideous rendition of 'girls just wanna have fun' was one of the highlights of bootcamp :D:blush:

I read something on here that Giles had won some talent competition, do you know if that's true?

Haha, yeah, they love to try to tie everything up in confusion to try to be 'clever'. Four new judges that don't try to emulate the same old nonsense would do nicely imo. And yes, they really did seem to gloss over the pre-chair part of bootcamp a lot, I wonder if it really was because they were planning to create more frankenbands.

I think the three young ones of the Boys from JH (Giles, Luke, Nicky) all came from some talent show, at least that's what I remember...

... and yes, I have a heart of ice. :D