Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    Watching it, it seems they were attempting to make 1D fangirls look ridiculous rather than taking shots at Perrie, it was still insensitive though.

Irresponsible would be a better word, frankly. The BBC should know better than airing such comments about living real people having heads cut off with rusty chainsaws in a family show, aired at 8pm before the watershed. It's not acceptable it made it to air as it would clearly needlessly cause distress to friends & family of an individual.
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    deborahedwards ‏@mothergoose2020 5h
    Anyone watching Holby city ??? Really http://upset.com x
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is Holby City? I cant believe something like that got approved for airing.

You guys have some official channels to make complaints about tv shows, yes?
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Irresponsible would be a better word, frankly. The BBC should know better than airing such comments about living real people having heads cut off with rusty chainsaws in a family show, aired at 8pm before the watershed. It's not acceptable it made it to air as it would clearly needlessly cause distress to friends & family of an individual.

To get to where they are now, make no mistake, LM are a thick skinned bunch of girls. I wouldn't worry about it affecting them. Besides, they live in a bubble.

With an ever present ( and disgracefully shameless ) eye on PR however, I see an opportunity. Modest management should be working overtime to get that juicy story out to the media. It has so many angles to it ( BBC bashing, pre watershed, anti bullying, 1D, Zayn LM, etc. etc. ) Imagine the flood of support for Perrie coming out of this. She should of course be dignified and decline to comment. The dream would be main stream U.S. media. Lots of Americans asking "who's this poor Perrie Edwards and little mix?"
    With a bit of luck the stirred up "controversy" could even trend :) Perfect timing for the word up release in the U.K.
    I'm an advocate for anything LM related to be front and centre stage in the media spotlight. Is that so wrong? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so much for move benefiting from Letterman.... #311 -41 24hr.

Should have lead with "salute" of course :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an advocate for anything LM related to be front and centre stage in the media spotlight. Is that so wrong? :D

Yeah.

This (that scripted part) is completely tasteless and insensitive and advocates violence against a 20 year old. Its already upset her mother. This isnt something to exploit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah.

This (that scripted part) is completely tasteless and insensitive and advocates violence against a 20 year old. Its already upset her mother. This isnt something to exploit.

Of course you are right CV. Forgive my ruthless business nature. :blush:

This anti Perrie campaign needs to be stamped out. This development could be the catalyst to end it once and for all. The programme will no doubt have their defence ready but it's one thing being a love sick teen venting on SM. ( a tiny minority but very vocal and very nasty ) It's quite another for a television programme to be getting involved fuelling the fire. Any mother would be upset to see that. I hope the programme makers are publicly chastised and support for Perrie is overwhelming. This ridiculous campaign against her needs to end.
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/CECEVELLI/status/442060890704465920 This vine of Jesy is cracking me up
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is Holby City? I cant believe something like that got approved for airing.

You guys have some official channels to make complaints about tv shows, yes?

A medical drama. Ofcom is the regulatory body for tv over here. I'm very surprised this was aired last night, especially on the BBC of all channels.
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/mothergoose2020/status/443493957688131584 Well the vile 1D fangirls have invaded Debbie's twitter
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/mothergoose2020/status/443493957688131584 Well the vile 1D fangirls have invaded Debbie's twitter

Good grief, these children are awful. I'm hoping they're children. What a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you are right CV. Forgive my ruthless business nature. :blush:

After I posted I was actually thinking you'd be real attentive at marketing LM in the US.

But here's the deal, you guys dont live in as violent a society that I am ashamed the US is. I've lived thru a wacko Beatles fan murdering John Lennon, a crazy Jodie Foster fan gunning down the President, and the Tejano singer Selena murdered by the president of her own fan club. Crazy fans are out there and making fun of them + violence references hits a nerve with me particularly.

I think that program crossed a line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you explore the feeds of some of the worse offenders, they are often clearly teenagers in need of some help. I've come across talk of self harm and all sorts, it really is a mess. The talk about "Zayn being my whole life' etc. really does seem to often represent a scary deep obsession in some cases, which at such young ages is scary. Twitter has become a platform for these individuals to seemingly sit alone & depressed in their bedrooms, spouting abuse online behind a mask of anonymity to make themselves feel better.

I personally would like to see Perrie's mum make a fuss about this and get some coverage in the media, only because I think there is a real issue behind some Twitter 'trolling' that needs some coverage & debate. What we don't need is prime time TV shows normalising the behaviour & way of thinking.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on people there was nothing wrong with Holby City last night, they were trying to show a young girl who was deluded by being a fan of OD and not taking her own real life (and illness) seriously. The character saying she wanted to cut Perries head off was said in jest almost just to prove how serious she was about Zayn and OD, she wasn't some psychopath revealing her murder scheme before she carried it out. Young people often say they're going to kill their idols partners, but it's in jest and everyone knows that. The show was trying to shame that sort of attitude and show that there is way more to life than a boyband and that this girl had gotten herself too involved. The fact people who haven't seen it are offended on Perries behalf is ridiculous. Chill out people, it's a story and the story was trying to show saying things like that and acting like that isn't good, the fact they used Zayn and Perrie is actually quite helpful as they are probably the most popular case of this happening right now. None of the other characters agreed with this characters opinions and it was only when the girl started to grow up that they warmed to her.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I personally would like to see Perrie's mum make a fuss about this and get some coverage in the media, only because I think there is a real issue behind some Twitter 'trolling' that needs some coverage & debate. What we don't need is prime time TV shows normalising the behaviour & way of thinking.

Do you mind me asking if you saw the show? I only ask because the show was doing the opposite of what you say. It wasn't normalising it and saying this is ok, it was saying this specific character was scarily deluded and that was NOT ok. The other characters did not approve of the things she said and did, some may have took a little sympathy on her because she was young and ill, however absolutely none approved of her cutting Perries head off or her being under age with a massive OD tattoo on her back. The show was trying to show this character was neglecting herself and actually causing her illness by her obsessive nature towards OD. If anything I think Holby City actually did a good job of highlighting that this kind of behaviour isn't ok, without condemning everyone who happens to like a boyband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deborahedwards ‏@mothergoose2020 5h
    Anyone watching Holby city ??? Really http://upset.com x

Her real life daughter doesnt have to be made a case study.

In other words, if the intent is to over exaggerate the behavior of fandom, it could have been written so the character was over the top with something without involving real people.
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Holby City episode is nothing new.

1D fan girls I know, threaten to harm Perrie everyday. They actually believe they have a chance with Zayn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking if you saw the show? I only ask because the show was doing the opposite of what you say. It wasn't normalising it and saying this is ok, it was saying this specific character was scarily deluded and that was NOT ok. The other characters did not approve of the things she said and did, some may have took a little sympathy on her because she was young and ill, however absolutely none approved of her cutting Perries head off or her being under age with a massive OD tattoo on her back. The show was trying to show this character was neglecting herself and actually causing her illness by her obsessive nature towards OD. If anything I think Holby City actually did a good job of highlighting that this kind of behaviour isn't ok, without condemning everyone who happens to like a boyband.

In reality though, what has actually been achieved? All I can see is the 1D fans in question delighted at seeing their way of thinking being represented on TV & an understandably upset mother. Even if they were attempting to which, granted, it appears they were, they haven't really dealt with the issue at all.

You mentioned before the 'young fans have always talked about killing their idols partners' - there is a difference between talking about in jest amongst friends and directing sustained abuse at the partner in question, especially at such a young age. In some cases from what i've seen, I think it goes beyond merely jest and actually represents a very real worrying hatred & warped mind. Some of these young individuals are that ****ed up & the issue needs raising in a much more sensitive and serious manner imo.
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    if this was the other way around and it was said about one of the 1D boys then it would not be funny, going by the past the actress would be getting death threats
  • Options
    aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The line needs to be drawn somewhere.
    They're kids yes but grown enough to know what right or what's wrong.
    1D really needs to educate their fans.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davem1234 wrote: »
    if this was the other way around and it was said about one of the 1D boys then it would not be funny, going by the past the actress would be getting death threats

Exactly this. Last year, the 1D fandom caused a fracas over a magazine maybe, possibly implying that Harry Styles was a "player" or some nonsense. And Zayn himself receives awful threats and insults because of his race/ethnicity/religion - and while the fandom is shamefully less vocal about protesting that sort of thing and many actually participate in it, they still do sound the alarm.

So Perrie's mum is well within her rights to be disturbed about this no matter the (I assume lighthearted) intent of the show and that contingent of real life so-called Zayn fans who insist on giving Perrie (and Zayn) grief for their relationship should be taken to task.
    aldu wrote: »
    The line needs to be drawn somewhere.
    They're kids yes but grown enough to know what right or what's wrong.
    1D really needs to educate their fans.

Agree with the BIB. I know that these sorts of pop acts rely on the rabid enthusiasm of their fanbase to stay alive and relevant. But I do wish they would call their fans out explicitly instead of just laughing some of their worst behaviour as these fans being "passionate". The ones who have made an attempt to say it's not okay or shut it down (basically all of them but Harry) tend to get a lot of flack for it.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a holby fan but haven't been watching it lately so didn't see the remark but it is normally a good show which tackles important issues sensitively so they probably didn't mean to offend anyone. It was probably just a misjudged remark. I can see why CV thinks it is bad as the USA has more high profile crazy fans doing stupid things but it doesn't really happen much over here so it could be seen as a topic to make a light-hearted comment over. It would be like if they showed a scene of a catholic and protestant fighting in a USA tv show. It probably wouldn't be a big deal in USA but may be a bit close to the bone in Northern Ireland where sectarianism is still a bit of an issue. I agree though that they shouldn't have used specific names. They should have just had her say girlfriends of the boys in general if they had to include a comment like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change of subject. The radio Kworb update is better.

46 +1
    LITTLE MIX
    Move
    621 +19 93 +6 1.788 +0.094

They gained audience and spins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes! Jesy has made reference to "stupid little Zayn Malik fans" in a magazine interview.

It's not gone down well....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Yikes! Jesy has made reference to "stupid little Zayn Malik fans" in a magazine interview.

It's not gone down well....

I saw that...the reaction on twitter isn't going well for her at all

I don't know why people are making a big fuss over her saying "stupid little zayn malik fans" because i'm 100% sure she's referring to the people who send hate to Perrie and she's just sticking up for her bandmate.

I find it quite funny how offended people are getting to be honest it's not even that harsh of a remark??
This discussion has been closed.