Options

Uk Bband faster than Europe -ofcom

technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
Forum Member
✭✭
Ofcom has just issued The European Broadband Scorecard 2014
Which shows that that the uk is top for. super fast broadband availability and take up amigst the leading European economies.

The headlines and link to the report and letter to Maria miller and vince cable are at
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/telecoms-research/bbresearch/scorecard-14

Comments

• Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I think the reason why no one is replying to this is because people don't believe it or it is sort of irrelevant.

A lot of countries in Europe are going for FTTP rather than FTTC that we mostly have here. They'll overtake us in no time.

I do feel like maybe the larger EU countries such as France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK will be left behind due to their population size. It's a huge expense to roll out FTTP to populations that size.

Japan has done pretty well (comparable population size), but their population density is higher making it cheaper to roll out. They also share utility poles there and use more overhead wires than we do which does make things cheaper. The underground networks they have are newer also.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It also doesn't state what it means be "Europe".
    If that includes eastern members who are still herding cattle, than of course that will bring the statistic down a bit.

That's the trouble with statistics, you can make then say anything you want to.

And as mentioned if they are doing FTTP it is typical of this country that we always go for the half-arsed cheapest solution and have to pay for that further down the road.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPC in Ireland and The Netherlands offer 200MB broadband, and in Poland they now offer up to 250MB. Currently Virgin in the UK are upgrading customers to a maximum of 152MB.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPC in Ireland and The Netherlands offer 200MB broadband, and in Poland they now offer up to 250MB. Currently Virgin in the UK are upgrading customers to a maximum of 152MB.

Britain's now starting to enter the race for being among the top 5 countries with the fastest broadband. Before, it was just basically dragging along at a snail's space but now, there's been a massive jump in speed with FTTC. The fact that the Netherlands, Ireland and Poland are offering much higher speeds just shows how far we are still behind. To be honest, I'm very happy with my broadband speed now. We still have a long way to go before we're within reaching distance of being crowned as the country with the fastest broadband. Japanese ISPs (or some) are offering up to 1Gb connections. Japan's well known for their blindingly fast broadband though. Hong Kong seems to have speeds of 100Mbits+. But yeah, we're starting to catch up now with other countries that have VERY fast speeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also doesn't state what it means be "Europe".
    If that includes eastern members who are still herding cattle, than of course that will bring the statistic down a bit.

That's the trouble with statistics, you can make then say anything you want to.

And as mentioned if they are doing FTTP it is typical of this country that we always go for the half-arsed cheapest solution and have to pay for that further down the road.

FTTP might be installed in the future once BT start making money from these FTTC connections. Then again, if money is donated from the government to place fibre from the cabinet to people's homes, this would give people pure digital connections.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    FTTP might be installed in the future once BT start making money from these FTTC connections. Then again, if money is donated from the government to place fibre from the cabinet to people's homes, this would give people pure digital connections.

Yes that MIGHT happen but come on! This is England.
    A half-arsed bodge that will be out of date by the time they complete it. Then decades before they do anything else with us falling way behind the rest of the world again.
    With everyone passing the buck and expecting someone else to pay.

This is the story of England's history since it's world concurring days.

Nearly everyone's FTTC install has never been at the time first stated. Mine was October last year and I MAY get it at the end of March. Then that will be that for decades.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a mate in Copenhagen & he has 100meg up & down in the apartment block where he lives through a company called parknet, All the people in the block pay £5 a month to them not a bad deal is it, Here who knows what we have to pay for that speed.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this like saying the UK has the highest availability of 16-bedroom mansions in Europe?

i.e. when it comes to the very best the UK is likely to have it, but only for a few who can afford it.

While the masses struggle along...

Really the focus should always be on what most people have, what is typical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that MIGHT happen but come on! This is England.
    A half-arsed bodge that will be out of date by the time they complete it. Then decades before they do anything else with us falling way behind the rest of the world again.
    With everyone passing the buck and expecting someone else to pay.

This is the story of England's history since it's world concurring days.

Nearly everyone's FTTC install has never been at the time first stated. Mine was October last year and I MAY get it at the end of March. Then that will be that for decades.

I think we should have had FTTC (or FTTH) long before now. It feels like we're among the last few countries to get it. I didn't really take much notice of when my exchange was due to get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    I have a mate in Copenhagen & he has 100meg up & down in the apartment block where he lives through a company called parknet, All the people in the block pay £5 a month to them not a bad deal is it, Here who knows what we have to pay for that speed.

I don't think upload speeds the same as download speeds will ever happen over here. I think we'll always get a small amount for our upload speed.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't think upload speeds the same as download speeds will ever happen over here. I think we'll always get a small amount for our upload speed.

Copenhagen is a small place & just one part of Denmark so in Copenhagen it will be better speeds as they have FTTP & Parknet is a non profit company, But it shows the price difference here all the same I don't think we get value for money when it comes to the Internet.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »

Is that 100Mbit/s each, or are they paying £5 to share a 100Mbit/s feed to the whole block?