Options

Digital UK give permission for LCN 48 to be re-allocation.

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/freeview-channel-48-available-for-re.html#more

Does this mean that other channel like the manchester local LCN can be use by other channel uk wide?

Who going to get LCN 48?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    It's Movies4Men on Manchester IIRC, so perhaps Sony are planning to move onto full freeview?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this will postpone the ever imminent move of the children's and news sections to above 120?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I wonder if this will postpone the ever imminent move of the children's and news sections to above 120?
    Well, if Sony Movies and Sony Movies+1 are launching very soon, it would take the general entertainment section to 65 if 48 was allocated. 66 if not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Well, if Sony Movies and Sony Movies+1 are launching very soon, it would take the general entertainment section to 65 if 48 was allocated. 66 if not.

LCN 50 is also not being use by a channel.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think this is a bad call from Digital UK. This will throw up a lot more complication to the EPG, as a shared LCN can't be reused unless it is vacated by all parties using it. Any change in Manchester will cause an unnecessary increase in LCN 'gaps', as the Irish channels are unlikely to move.
  • Options
    tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Surely it must only mean channels on another "local mux" of which there are currently none.

It doesn't make sense for, for example, the LCN to be Movies4Men in Manchester, but Sony Movies in the rest of the UK. Where would Sony Movies go in Manchester?

I take it to mean that if another additional local channel some how materialised, it would be allocated 48.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    tompayne wrote: »
    Surely it must only mean channels on another "local mux" of which there are currently none.

It's shared LCNs generally. Any channel which isn't national can get a "local" LCN, which can be shared with other channels as long as they aren't in the same area. TG4 and Movies4Men share for example, as the first is only available in NI and the second is only available in Manchester. If Movies4Men went national, it would be allocated a new LCN as the areas would then overlap (if it was local but not actually sharing with something... well, who knows?)
    It doesn't make sense for, for example, the LCN to be Movies4Men in Manchester, but Sony Movies in the rest of the UK. Where would Sony Movies go in Manchester?

That wouldn't happen, Sony Movies would get a new national LCN, and M4M would stay where it is.
    I take it to mean that if another additional local channel some how materialised, it would be allocated 48.

No, only if it was an "associated channel". Also a national channel could be deemed associated to one of the local ones, and get this LCN if it is closest.

If Sony Movies and Sony Movies+1 launched nationally, they would now be likely to get 48 and 50, being associated with M4M.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    LCN 50 is also not being use by a channel.

LCN 26 is going to be used for Local TV in Wales & Scotland isn't it? So yes 48 & 50 are going begging before 65 is required. And that's assuming new channels are general entertainment (the latest, Pop, is a childrens channel. They won't be happy if they need to move LCN again shortly after launch.....).

I don't understand why a buffer is needed to the childrens channels - if you are using up/down programme for channel surfing the kids programmes will come after whatever the next lowest LCN is. And blank LCNs don't in EPGs so there is no visible gap in unused channels to provide a separation.
  • Options
    Think TVThink TV Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Maybe even Quest +1 or ITV4 +1 to fill LCN 48 and/or 50? I can also see the Community channel could move down for being around the longest on the platform.

Or as we have said services on a limited location only. It would be good if that's the case for the Jewellery Channel to move down to LCN 48 first before LCN 49 and 50 are allocated.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Community channel classed as a PSB? Just thinking that it could get priority if a lower LCN is available.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the 2nd additional channel on the Local Muxes is Pop, so LCN 48 or 50 won't be used for that. Looks like we won't be getting the children's channels moving soon now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the 2nd additional channel on the Local Muxes is Pop, so LCN 48 or 50 won't be used for that. Looks like we won't be getting the children's channels moving soon now.

That true we need 3 new channels to starts broadcasting on freeview before that happens.

LCN 48 Sony Movie Channel?
    LCN 50 Sony Movie Channel +1?
    LCN 65 ????
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That true we need 3 new channels to starts broadcasting on freeview before that happens.

LCN 48 Sony Movie Channel?
    LCN 50 Sony Movie Channel +1?
    LCN 65 ????
    How about ABC Shopping, ITVBe or More Than Movies ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    How about ABC Shopping, ITVBe or More Than Movies ?

More Than Movies is the same as LCN 32 just under a different name.

ITVBe wont start broadcasting till the end of the year and will most likely take itv2+1 hours and LCN.

ABC Shopping is local TV as Local TV is full it dont look like this channel will make it on air.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABC Shopping is local TV as Local TV is full it dont look like this channel will make it on air.
    Well that's a relief !!
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really full as BONANZABONANZA is just a temporary holding channel.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    It's not really full as BONANZABONANZA is just a temporary holding channel.

And POP is only on air from 6am-10pm, so there are some overnight hours to fill (I guess we'll find out later whether it is actually off-air overnight or not).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    And POP is only on air from 6am-10pm, so there are some overnight hours to fill (I guess we'll find out later whether it is actually off-air overnight or not).

Well i can get all 3 local channels.POP has 24/7 EPG.I check tonight if it still broadcasting.I am not supposed to be getting theses channel as i am well outside London but seem to be picking them up fine.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiny Pop Through the Night is on now till 0600 showing Oscar's Oasis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »

Why are the Shopping channels grouped as being in 'General Entertainment'? Shouldn't they all be moved to their own dedicated Advertising block (perhaps 4xx)?

To avoid the possibility of Shopping channels sneaking into the General Entertainment section by carrying the odd non-commercial programme, to be in General Entertainment should require at least 50% of the output on the channel be non-advertising content.

That way, anyone who wants to buy stuff could punch up 401 and make their way through the channels until they find something they fancy buying.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Why are the Shopping channels grouped as being in 'General Entertainment'? Shouldn't they all be moved to their own dedicated Advertising block (perhaps 4xx)?

To avoid the possibility of Shopping channels sneaking into the General Entertainment section by carrying the odd non-commercial programme, to be in General Entertainment should require at least 50% of the output on the channel be non-advertising content.

That way, anyone who wants to buy stuff could punch up 401 and make their way through the channels until they find something they fancy buying.

Digital UK (or DMOL as it was then) has tried. QVC objected and got MPs discussing it in Parliament. It won't happen - it would get blocked in the highest places.